PDA

View Full Version : Character: Zombie - Day of the Dead

Maggutts
12-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Hello everybody.

There's so much talent here. You artists are amazing.

Well, here's my contribution. This is my zombie character that I've been working on for my demo reel. I'm currently a student at the Art Institute of Dallas and will be graduating this month. I'm interested in working on high poly models for games and/or cinematics.

Crits and comments are always welcome.

Character: Zombie (without the perfect nasum)

Programs: 3DS Max 5 & Photoshop

Polycount: 11,346 - Zombie,
24,871 - Full scenehttp://www.detrimental.com/3D/Zombie-CG-Talk-1.jpg

Maggutts
12-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Here's one more render.

jimmycracker
12-12-2003, 04:41 AM
Creepily excellent.

Keiyentai
12-12-2003, 05:02 AM
Reminds me of Resident Evil :D

chris140
12-12-2003, 05:12 AM
model is great but day fo the dead isnt to scare people, its more of happy zombies, i knwo it sounds weird, but all the day of the dead stuff ive seen like skeletons and so on are smiling, not being scary

WhiteRabbitObj
12-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Yeah really cool. Nice texturing and lighting, really sets the mood. I thought it was a screenshot from a Resident Evil or DOOM3 game when I looked at the first image.

Maggutts
12-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey thanks everybody for the complements.

Chris 140: This is more of a tribute to the movie Day of the Dead, from Director/Writer George A. Romero. Not to be confused with the mexican Day of the Dead.

CPUxtc1
12-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Excellent, I would like to see more in the environment side of it, like maybe more details in the tunel, the Zombie is great there should be more contrast between the specularity of the walking corps and the dryness of the skin and cloths.
Very good work, very impressed, Usually when I see someone make a Zombie it's either too much of a skelleton or two much of a so recently dead you can't tel it's a zombie except that it walks funny and has ripped cloths and blood. This is great.
Do you plan on making or have you made more Day of the Dead zombies?

nobrain
12-15-2003, 11:02 PM
pretty cool zombie!
It is remnant of resident evil but then again which zombie isn't? I would only crit on the lighting.

art institute of dallas huh? I thought about goin there and used to work in the glass building right next to it. the shorter one.

good luck with graduation.

chris140
12-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Maggutts
Hey thanks everybody for the complements.

Chris 140: This is more of a tribute to the movie Day of the Dead, from Director/Writer George A. Romero. Not to be confused with the mexican Day of the Dead.

oooo, now i undersatand, i thought u where talking about the day, ok, its perfect then:thumbsup:

Bladestone
12-16-2003, 03:46 AM
Cool looking model, nice detail and texure in the face area especially. Comments / Suggestions . . .

- could add very scarce white hair strands (always looks creepy on undead)
- shade bottoms of teeth (area closest to flesh) to create a bit more shadow
- favour more pale skin tone (green is cool to pale might look nice as well)
- hand detailing, long nails
- high poly model / could add veins right into mesh
- worm kind of breaks up focus, claws probly more dangerous (longer chipped ugly nails) (probly would look better without worm or intenstine )
- neck seam / belt seam is to clean for neck add protrusions, chords, muscle indications under skin. For belt, remove belt , use a "U" shape instead of the "__" shape with tattered cloth
- blank out eyes completely / adds more mystery
- he's look good with a foggy render backdrop to bring the model out
-desaturate textures

Might look good as a low poly game model as well. Nice work though foresure.

CPUxtc1
12-16-2003, 03:55 AM
I did notice the lack of shadow from the clothing and neck strap.
but as for the texture, I think it's fine, when was the last time you saw a corps with veins and rigid muscules? I like the eyes just the way they are, if they were blanked out they wouldn't be as creepy.
I was looking at the face detail and it looks really great.
You should make a friend for him, one without a jaw.
Or do that scene where the zombie turns over and his guts fall out. That would be awesome.
Hell you should just do a bunch of scenes from the entire movie like stills.
I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

vincent0731
12-16-2003, 06:37 AM
this mondling is pertty nice,but the mondling style isn't not really scare,i think the reason to explain why i say that just because the mondling is kind of simple,,and not much detail enough,and some surface of texture was too clean,but is still can be a good work anyway,thanks for your work.:thumbsup:

ODIN_6
12-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Rock on Zombie Master !!!

Bout time you posted on here..

Excellent feed back too :beer:

You going to show us your Chicky too ????:love:

lulaassassina
12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
ahh... I like the atmosphere you got there. And I like the image...

but,
Could u post some lighter images? Because theese are very dark, and can't really see your model and textures. And wires, pleaze...

Great job! :buttrock:

mikepolizos
12-16-2003, 01:42 PM
I love you textures and style!

Freaky images! :)

Please more bright images!

:beer:

onelung
12-16-2003, 03:56 PM
hey man its adam, yea post the chickie, so i take it you're finally out. good to hear, good luck to ya.

Maggutts
12-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks everybody for the comments and crits.

Regnan: Yeah, there are still more tweaks I can do to this character, but I was limited on time in order to graduate this quarter. I'll probably keep tweaking him out some more now that I'm done with school. Thanks for the tips, they were pretty good.

CPUxtc1: Man, it would be cool to model some of the scenes from Day of the Dead. Not sure if I'll have time to do that though. The gut-spilling scene was awesome, but I also liked the scene where the jawless zombie from the beginning walks into frame. And lets not forget the brutal flesh eating scenes. Too many to choose from.

ODIN_6: What up fool? Cool to hear from you man. Ahh man, where were you at graduation? I see how it is. LOL Yeah, I'll probably post the chickie sometime, but maybe not in this thread since it's dead-icated to the zombie. See you at the Mammal's meeting.

Onelung: Hey Adam, cool to hear from you. Yeah, I'm finally finished with school. Now it's time to look for a job. Thanks for all your help with my characters throughout this quarter. You got a good eye for detail. Yeah, I'll probably post the chickie, but she'll be in a different thread. I don't know when I'll post her up, but sometime soon.

Anyways, here is the latest renders for ya.
The top image is what the zombie looked like on my final demo reel.
The next image is a brighter version of the zombie
The last two images are wireshots.

http://www.detrimental.com/3D/Zombie-CG-Talk-4.jpg

BobbyKarate
12-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Excellent work, Nice to see you post in this forum!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.