PDA

View Full Version : best laptop recomendations

rochre26
01-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi. I'm going to buy a laptop and I want it to use for work with Maya, After Effects and Mudbox. Any recomendations on a decent system. I've found some nice ones online like this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MW73C2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

But it seems like it might be overkill since I won't be using it for gaming. Any advice so I don't spend more money than necesarry would be helpful.

Thanks.

tswalk
01-27-2013, 06:54 AM
just looked at it rather quickly...

processor looks fine as does the amount of RAM.. however, i seriously recommend getting a laptop with an SSD and triple check support from the applications you plan on using with the graphics card.

reason why i say that is because some do not support the mobile nvidia processors so great.. so do your home work on that one.

CKPinson
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
I got a dell m6600. Am pleased with its performance and I didn't get ssd, I feel they need improvements, I keep my hdds for years not months.

cgbeige
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
I couldn't live without an SSD. The performance gain is huge. I have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro and swapped out the DVD drive for a big HD (got the caddie on eBay), so I have the best of both worlds: Fast SSD system/apps disk and big storage and work drive in a laptop.

rochre26
01-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks all.

What would be the specific areas of preformance gain with an SSD? I thought it was mostly just apps loading faster (show what I know).

AJ1
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey man,

If your doing lots of stuff in AE with large amounts of footage, it will really speed up your pre caching when you render.

Maya crashes a lot, and it really helps when you need to reboot the program. :p

-AJ

cgbeige
01-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Maya crashes a lot, and it really helps when you need to reboot the program. :p

exactly. It's mostly about app launch times and system responsiveness. It literally feels like you have a faster computer when you have a good SSD. Since you tend to have less RAM in laptops, you can quit some to save memory and it's not a big loss since launching them again is super fast. The first time I got an SSD, I was so surprised that I made a video of how many apps you can simultaneously launch quickly:

https://vimeo.com/13220995

that was on a very old Vertex II. A modern Samsung SSD like the ones in the new MBPs would be much much faster

tswalk
01-28-2013, 06:03 AM
One thing to make absolutely sure of is to employ a solid backup schedule/routine.. even if its' a manual thing you do, or by script to an external solution.

CKPinson
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Although newer generations are better, lasting a lil bit longer...
SSDs are still problematic for the long haul- Corporations are forcing adoption but they aren't ready IMO until they can last at least 2 years. This is why there is a 3 year warranty on most PC hardware- ie. GPU, HDD, CPU, RAM etc.

I have replaced HDD with WD after failure after the 2.5 year mark. I don't know what the policy on the SSD is-

I did order a SSD from INTEL and plan on using it solely as the boot/C Drive with my 720GBx2 HDD's as backup and storage. I would not rely solely on it- at least use a cloud backup or something.

cgbeige
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
well it goes without saying that you should back stuff up. If you don't have two copies, you don't have any, as the saying goes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.