PDA

View Full Version : Space Mouse Pro - Is it a Disappointment?!?

hri
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
since 10 Years, 80% of my Job is 3D Application oriented - mainly Maya and frequently Z-brush. I was always fascinated by Maya's simple Alt + mouse buttons navigation. I am still wondering why other applications have complicated Navigation button combinations. I even would prefer such a navigation for 2D applications as Photoshop etc.

In my mind Space Moses were the only thing which could be better than button + mouse combinations. I first saw such a thing in BMW's FIZ in Munich during a Internship. I didn't used it, but i saw how intuitive and easy the guy navigated through the scene. I was mesmerized!

But i always thought those things are only for engineering kind of software.

Recently i heard from a friend, that there are space mouses which should work with every 3D application. I was surprised that i never heard of it for so many Years. As i work mainly for Advertising, i am resistant against it and i really never came across the 3D Connixion Devices.

Currently i am switching to Modo and i thought about Navigation improvement - i didn't want to face navigation differences.

I must admit - i didn't red a lot about the 3D Connexion Devices, but everything i red was great. I couldn't imagine there could be a problem with them. I was sure i didn't want the basic Space Navigator because i needed something stable, which can't slide arrowed as i navigate and off course the additional customizable buttons..

I ordered a Space Muse Pro. I was so exited es it came on 21 January.
It looks great, the finish is great and the first "test drive" was fantastic. So smooth and intuitive. I needed just an hour of navigating and i was already super comfortable with it.

Unfortunately 4 days later i have some serious drawbacks.

First hours, first very, very big Disappointment: Zbrush is not supported!? Why this? Is there any explainable Reason for that? As i mentioned above - i didn't red a lot about the devices, otherwise i would know about this Problem.

This First one i could live with, hopping soon someone would make up his mind.

But here we go with the LIST of problems i have in Maya. Problems, which i can not ignore because they are destroying my workflow completely. I am actually faster with the mouse.

1. Navigation should work in every Maya's editor window which includes 2D Editors as UV Texture Editor, Hypergraph, Hypershader etc.. In those cases i have to use my mouse again - no good..
2. Rotation button remapping disappearance - i red about this problem in other thread, but there is still no proper solution.
3. Strange Navigation on Groops - navigation pivot is somewhere ot of bounding box (there are no empty sets out of the actual geometry) pivot is also not updating in those cases.

Now i am desperate. On one side i have something, which have a great potential - in my mind, but the reality is different.

My only hope is to here good things about Modo, as i want to switch completely.

Otherwise i have to sell the device.

Or you guys can convince me to keep it?

Is there a realistic expectation, that the above described Problems will be extinguished soon.

I am grateful for any advice.

AJ1
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Hey man,

I used to have one, but I ended up just giving it away. I think I used it for around a week before giving up on it.

It really doesn't work well for Maya, given the large amount of hotkeys. I found having to constantly move my left hand from the keyboard to the knob just slowed me down.

-AJ

imashination
01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Everyone I know that bought one has them gathering dust on a shelf. The reality is that it doesnt let you navigate much faster and all the drawbacks arent worth it.

vlad
01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey man,

I used to have one, but I ended up just giving it away. I think I used it for around a week before giving up on it.

It really doesn't work well for Maya, given the large amount of hotkeys. I found having to constantly move my left hand from the keyboard to the knob just slowed me down.

-AJ

Same here. It was OK for small scenes, but it became completely unresponsive (in Max) with more than a million polys, where the standard navigations controls were still totally fluid. I still have mine and plug it in from time to time when they release new drivers, but problems still persist to this day. Fortunately, I only bought the cheapest model...
I have a multi-button mouse and mapped all the navigation controls on it. Dont even need the keyboard. Much faster and much more intuitive than the 3D mouse.

olson
01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Once the novelty wears out they're really only useful for a few things. The support is horrible too as they drop platforms and applications very quickly, so if you don't have the latest and greatest everything (including their hardware) things won't work.

hri
01-26-2013, 09:00 PM
thanks for the clear opinion about Mayas very limited compatibility.. it is according exactly with my short experiance..

as i mentioned above i want to switch to Modo.. dose somebody have experience on how good is the device working with this software.. i still do not know Modo..

If there is a chance for good workflow in Modo i will keep the Space Mouse..

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2013, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.