PDA

View Full Version : USATODAY: 'Grand Theft Auto' vs. Haiti

RobertoOrtiz
12-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Quote:

"Take-Two to edit Haitian remarks from video game
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) — Video game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software has decided to edit its smash-hit game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to remove a controversial line of dialogue in which a character is ordered to "kill the Haitians."
In a statement released late Tuesday, Take-Two apologized for any offense caused by the game, which came out in October 2002. It has drawn protests from the Haitian community in recent days.

"As with literature, movies, music and other forms of entertainment, we have strived to create a video game experience with a certain degree of realism, which we believe is our right," the statement said.

"Nevertheless, we are aware of the hurt and anger in the Haitian community and have listened to the community's objections to certain statements made in the game."

Community leaders have objected to a statement in the game in which the main character, Tommy Vercetti, who is voiced by actor Ray Liotta, is forcefully told to "kill the Haitians!"

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg had threatened to launch an investigation of New York-based Take Two by the city's human rights commission because of the offensive remark."

>>Link<< (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-12-11-taketwo-vs-haiti_x.htm)

-R

tjnyc
12-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Mayor Bloomberg, stop with the nonsense investigation and do something that will actual benefit New Yorkers, instead of screwing them and driving businesses away the way you have since you been elected.

I wish New Yorkers would recall him.

Gkaine
12-11-2003, 04:28 PM
sigh...stupid stunt to boost his popularity, pathetic really

Neil
12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
This comes right after a few people were arguing over that same quote on here. You think they changed it because of cgtalk? :cool:

NanoGator
12-11-2003, 05:28 PM
I'm a little puzzled as to why the Haitian community would be offended by Vice City. The context of the game was over the haitian gang, not Haitians in general.

typeA
12-11-2003, 05:52 PM
hmm..why all the fuss, i think take two was on to something there

typeA
12-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by typeA
hmm..why all the fuss, i think take two was on to something there ..that was a joke (duh)..personaly im sick of all this p.c shit going on in america lately...land of the free..yeah right

Athan
12-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Oddly enough I will likely go and buy Vice City immediately just to get the unedited versions. I hate having to buy it now, but I hate censorship even more. They did it to one of my favorite games (Xenosaga) and I abore they way they tampered with the scenes.

Hopefully no game developer will ever try to make a game dealing with this community. Kind of a protest against the protesters.

KolbyJukes
12-11-2003, 07:04 PM
"New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg had threatened to launch an investigation of New York-based Take Two by the city's human rights commission because of the offensive remark"

Seriously....what are they going to 'investigate'? What human rights violations have taken place?

the line is totally acceptable in the context of the game...it's not like the game makers want all these kids to go out and kill every hatian-american.

I can't believe they actually agreed to edit it out...that's not cool, but I guess they have to think of PR.

Cararan
12-11-2003, 07:31 PM
I have alot of Haitians friends and they are not offended by this game. Its just sadden me on why groups do this to get attention.

projectcoil
12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
I'm sure some Haitians are offended. Why not make a game that says "Kill all Jews", or "Kill all Whites". I'm sure it'll sell a million just by the hate message that's carried through it.

RobertoOrtiz
12-11-2003, 08:52 PM
This reminds the of the now infamous Seinfeld episode of the Puerto Rican day parade.

The whole episode revolves on how the gang survives the street clsoings and the mobs in the day of the parade. Feeling festive Kramer started wearing a huge puertorrican flag on his back and because of a freakish accident he sets it on fire. In a panic, he tries to put out the fire burning flag by stomping it on the ground. And of course he does this in front of a large crowd....

and you can imagine the rest.

The next day there was a HUGE outcry over this episode. NBC had to say that they would never repeat that episode of the show in order to have this issue die down.

And here is the Irony:

It is a dam shame.

The joke was that for all the people feeling offended they overlooked one important fact. This was one of the first times that I could recall that a show set in NY acknowledged the fact that there was such a thing as a Puerto Rican parade. Seinfeld as a show was groundbreaking for the simple fact that the NY of Seinfeld felt more real than the quasy whitewash fantasy NY(that felt more like LA) that you get in crappy shows like Friends. I have been to the PR parade in NY, and I can tell you that they captured to a T how it feels to be in the middle of it.

Anyway the point I am trying to make is simple. Most reasonable minorities living in the US are not so easily offended. Like APU in the Simpsons, (the only Indian character in Mainstream TV) we have to see the forest, for the trees. I strongly believe that we should be aware of the loud mouths trying to “protect” the masses, since they usually have a hidden agenda.

-R

Per-Anders
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by projectcoil
I'm sure some Haitians are offended. Why not make a game that says "Kill all Jews", or "Kill all Whites". I'm sure it'll sell a million just by the hate message that's carried through it.

um... where in the game did it say "Kill all Haitians"?

sorry, but in American cinema for years you know who you've been killing off? Germans and Brits, you want a bad guy? Get either a German or an Englishman. i say lets band together lots of europeans and picket MGM for it's unfair and racist portrayal of us, which clearly sends out the message that all europeans are vindictively more intelligent, educated, civilised and evil than Americans and it's every americans duty to strip down to his torn t-shirt and kill all europeans (swearing as much as possible on the way) :rolleyes:

although maybe you think skin color is more important. (maybe more important than who a person is).

projectcoil
12-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
um... where in the game did it say "Kill all Haitians"?

sorry, but in American cinema for years you know who you've been killing off? Germans and Brits, you want a bad guy? Get either a German or an Englishman. i say lets band together lots of europeans and picket MGM for it's unfair and racist portrayal of us, which clearly sends out the message that all europeans are vindictively more intelligent, educated, civilised and evil than Americans and it's every americans duty to strip down to his torn t-shirt and kill all europeans (swearing as much as possible on the way)

although maybe you think skin color is more important. (maybe more important than who a person is).

As long it's only a few and not all, then I suppose it's fine. :surprised Since when has it been ok to kill someone?

Does a "Kill the Nazis" justify a "Kill the Haitians"?

Per-Anders
12-11-2003, 10:05 PM
no, nor did at any point did it say kill all haitians. i rather gather the point is killing gansters.

now you to be in parrallel to this, taking your line a movie in which nazi's get killed would be putting out the message it's fine to kill people who are left wing.

you must live in an incredibly protected bubble is all i can think.

all of Germany was under the Nazi rule, most films don't differentiate between a member of the Nazi party and joe average foot soldier who's been drafted, or german men or women, however, consider this, were or are all Germans bad/evil? and have you been so indoctrinated by your films as to believe that English are Nazi's or other Europeans? that we're all Nazi's just under the surface? because it sure as hell sounds like that's what you're saying, tread very carefully my friend.

projectcoil
12-11-2003, 10:49 PM
no, nor did at any point did it say kill all haitians. i rather gather the point is killing gansters.

now you to be in parrallel to this, taking your line a movie in which nazi's get killed would be putting out the message it's fine to kill people who are left wing.

you must live in an incredibly protected bubble is all i can think.

all of Germany was under the Nazi rule, most films don't differentiate between a member of the Nazi party and joe average foot soldier who's been drafted, or german men or women, however, consider this, were or are all Germans bad/evil? and have you been so indoctrinated by your films as to believe that English are Nazi's or other Europeans? that we're all Nazi's just under the surface? because it sure as hell sounds like that's what you're saying, tread very carefully my friend.

Well there's Schindler's List. This whole depiction of evil is so way out of hand, but hey since they're all gansters, let's forget the jury, the trial and the whole prosecution process. Let's kill them on the spot.

digital_rhino
12-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by projectcoil
sorry, but in American cinema for years you know who you've been killing off? Germans and Brits, you want a bad guy? Get either a German or an Englishman.

Dood what the hell are you rambling about?! This is the reason these stupid protests are held. Haitians in the game were refered to as hatians because...oh my god...they were a group of hatians! If they yelled in the game "KILL THOSE GREEKS!" I wouldnt be the least bit offended...its not a texture map of my face on the character.

And, in american cinema every race or culture is at somepoint portrayed as a bad guy (most of the time its other americans)...and most likely are gonna end up dead by the end of the flick. Big deal...does that mean the whole race/culture is bad? Of course not. Is it any different in your culture? Im sure there are plenty of Brit or German movies where they kill some nefarious american villain.

I never saw Shindlers list, but lets face it..."NAZI" germans did some horendously evil things in WWII...of course they are going to be portrayed as villains.

I get so tired of the people that have to pick up the picket signs to feel they are important. Get a hobbie.

projectcoil
12-11-2003, 11:23 PM
^^^

It wasn't me that posted that. :rolleyes: You never saw Schindler's List? :surprised

digital_rhino
12-11-2003, 11:35 PM
uh....yes it was you. Bottom page 1.

And no I havent seen Shindlers List...though I really would like to, I just havent done it.:shrug:

lone
12-11-2003, 11:49 PM
i guess the, 'i will destroy the cubans' line will be next to go.

projectcoil
12-11-2003, 11:56 PM
sorry, but in American cinema for years you know who you've been killing off? Germans and Brits, you want a bad guy?

NO, it wasn't. I was quoting mdme_sadie.

Per-Anders
12-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by digital_rhino
uh....yes it was you. Bottom page 1.

And no I havent seen Shindlers List...though I really would like to, I just havent done it.:shrug:

actually no, it was me being deeply sarcastic with a touch of irony.

read it a bit beyond the section that you quoted and all should become clear, it's function was to highlight the disparity of political correct brainwashing/fascism with the real world, i.e. brits and germans love a good american film even if the bad guys are brits/germans, we're a little more grown up than all that.

projectcoil was just responding to prove the point.

ZeroNeuro
12-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Why on Earth do these posts have to always degenerate into an argument? I swear I have seen less back and forth in professional tennis matches... Not to mention that the context of the game was completely taken out. In the game there is a gang of haitians. And a gang of italians, etc. What are they to say? Would you rather have had them say kill the black people? No. You would say, "Kill the gang." "Which gang?" "Kill the Haitians." I mean it is a fool's point.

And the fact that someone jumped right from someone mentioning germans in movies as bad guys, to nazis really isn't a good sign of correct thinking either. Come on people. Do you have to respond to every post with venom and angst? Gah. Forget it. I'm done reading these kinds of posts. Carry on if that is what you wish to do. Would you guys argue every bit of news reported on this forum?

Sheesh. Give me a break already. I'm tired of it. So sick of the bickering. Like children. And I am sure there are hundreds of other people who are sick of it as well.

And I know what some of you will say, "If you don't like it you don't have to read it." And you know what? Ordinarily this is true. But I would say 60% or more of the traffic this site gets is from these kinds of comments. How many of you actually read the part above where you post that begins with: "Before posting, please review the following" ?

Disgustedly yours,
Ritchie L. Roberts

digital_rhino
12-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Then I missed the point and I was mistaken...sorry guys:shrug:

GRMac13
12-12-2003, 01:35 AM
It's sad that Rockstar caved in, but I guess I could see how a lengthy and expensive legal battle would have been fruitless for them at this point. They already made a ridiculous amount of profit from this game. The sales figures from this point on are purely icing on the cake. I just hope these whiners cease and desist with the whole campaign to pass legislation to ban the sale of the game in NY state.

Although, I'm sure some other group will take their place shortly. :shrug:

projectcoil
12-12-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
Why on Earth do these posts have to always degenerate into an argument? I swear I have seen less back and forth in professional tennis matches... Not to mention that the context of the game was completely taken out. In the game there is a gang of haitians. And a gang of italians, etc. What are they to say? Would you rather have had them say kill the black people? No. You would say, "Kill the gang." "Which gang?" "Kill the Haitians." I mean it is a fool's point.

And the fact that someone jumped right from someone mentioning germans in movies as bad guys, to nazis really isn't a good sign of correct thinking either. Come on people. Do you have to respond to every post with venom and angst? Gah. Forget it. I'm done reading these kinds of posts. Carry on if that is what you wish to do. Would you guys argue every bit of news reported on this forum?

Sheesh. Give me a break already. I'm tired of it. So sick of the bickering. Like children. And I am sure there are hundreds of other people who are sick of it as well.

And I know what some of you will say, "If you don't like it you don't have to read it." And you know what? Ordinarily this is true. But I would say 60% or more of the traffic this site gets is from these kinds of comments. How many of you actually read the part above where you post that begins with: "Before posting, please review the following" ?

Disgustedly yours,
Ritchie L. Roberts

Prehaps if cgtalk weren't full of political news topics like these.

CNN:Group warns about 'killographic' games
USATODAY: 'Grand Theft Auto' vs. Haiti
'Grand Theft Auto' makers fight lawsuit
Apple TV ad banned in U.K.
Miramax bans legal import DVDs

It's just eyeing for trouble.

SpaceTik
12-12-2003, 02:49 AM
I think its good to talk about these issues cause it brings out how people are actually thinking these days..from all over the world. Its quite healthy.

Don't read if you don't want to but no need to get upset. :)

I think its quite entertaining actually.

Oh yeah I think the censorship is a tad ridiculous as well but thats American sensorship for ya. They produce an amazing amount of crap then they like to frown on them...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.