PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Young Forest

JetroPag
12-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Hello again!

It's been a while since my last post but now I've come up with something new. My first "nature"-picture. here's the pic.

http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=555298

Now, some details..

I used:

-3dsmax 5.1
-195000 grasses (sorry, bad english)
-350 trees
-300 mushrooms
-about 10 lights

Rendertime 20 mins. (1152*864)

Hope you like it. Comments and critics are welcome. :)

Troy
12-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Wow that's great, I love to see natural scenes on Cgtalk at the moment, it helps to inspire my own...

I think it looks great, except for the grass looks too long and not dense enough. The riverbank could also do with some rocks etc to make it look more natural.

respect

Hexodam
12-11-2003, 03:50 PM
looks good, kinda ice age feel, but what bugs me the most are the trees, they are rotated when they shouldnt be, keep them going stright up with maybe slight variations, will improve alot I think

JetroPag
12-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the crit.

The problem is that scatter-object makes the trees always the same way with the ground. So if the ground is not straight, the trees will not be straight either. (sorry, hard to explain..)

I hope I could find a way to fix this. I could do it manully, but I consider it as last option. Besides, I kinda like the feeling in the pic. ;)

If someone knows a good solution for the problem, please tell me. If not, I will leave it like that. :) Also, some advice making grass would be welcome. Should I just put more and more grass there (and kill my computer), or is it good like that?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the comments.

JetroPag
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
http://picserver.student.utwente.nl/getpicture.php?id=557166

Update.. I think it's finished now.. (finally) Still, _all_ comments are more than welcome. ;) (Thanks Troy and Hexodam)

Hexodam
12-13-2003, 03:19 PM
sooo much better :)

makes me want to see more of that forest

WhiteRabbitObj
12-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Contrary to what the other people said, your original is far, FAR better. The still is not photo-real, it is realistic, but not real, and so that off-kilter look to the first one, to me, looked really really cool. It was stylish and looked very much like an illustration. I immediately thought of Blizzard's cinematics when I saw it. The new version is nice, but it's boring, it's just a forest! It really depends on whether you're going for style or realism, but I like the original much better.

One thing I do like better in the second is the grass appears to be more dense. The first image definitely did need some more dense grass and also a little more variation in the ground texture perhaps. Also, the water could use a displacement map instead of a bump map. It looks nice but if you look at the sides they appear to be flat, very video-gamish bank looking. Need to break that up a bit to really make it convincing.

Overall, very nice.

boboroshi
12-13-2003, 10:55 PM
I think you need to bring these two together.

First off, even in conifer forests, not all trees are vertical perfectly. There is variation. Certain trees bend, there are mutations, and certain trees will grow dependent on teh environment around them. If you have an open area with a dense forest, the trees on the edge will sometiems bend into it—especially on a sloped area.

If you're going to have a large boulder and this is going to take place in an apparent valley, there would be a lot of smaller rocks and stones and some kind of elevation change with the stream (possibly).

Looking good tho!

the Muffin Man
12-13-2003, 11:01 PM
nice , i agree though about the original being cool.. great atmosphere in all of these of untouched shelter valley goodness :) The one thing that disturbs me though is how the mushrooms sometimes look as if they are floating in front of or growing on trees.. i don't think the shrooms behind trees should be very visible

Lianad
12-14-2003, 05:40 AM
Personally I like the first one MUCH better as well. I also completely thought of Blizzards wonderful cinematics and style when I saw it. I looks like it came straight out of a Blizzard game.

I also agree that especially in the second version, mushrooms appear to be floating or growing on trees, very disturbing to me.

Also if you look at the scale of the grass to the trees, those blades of grass must be at least a few feet high. Unless these trees are only 3-4 feet high, I think you seriously need to lower the height on the grass A LOT.

Overall awesome image and style. But I truly think the first images angle and composition is MUCH better.

Fix the grass and the mushrooms, and combine parts of the first and second image and I think you'd have a rock solid image.

T

JetroPag
12-15-2003, 04:19 PM
http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/151203-uusin3.jpg

Ok, thanks for the comments. ^^

I've fixed some things now. Hope you like it. :) It's kind of a mix of the first and the second image. Some improvements with the lightning too.

But this will be the last update.. This isn't a WIP-thread after all.. :cry:

lol

Comments are welcome as usual.

Hexodam
12-15-2003, 04:25 PM
very nice.. again :P

one thing you could change, the tree to the left of the road, it should turn inwards, and thats it

Lianad
12-15-2003, 04:28 PM
I think you got the trees perfect in this one, and overall it looks much nicer !

The only gripe I still have is the scale. The blades of grass still look MANY feet high, and the mushrooms scale is huge as well.
I mean if you look at the scale of the trunks on the trees, they are VERY thin, which implies to me these trees are rather large. But the blades of grass extend up a good distance up the tree signifying to me they are about 5 feet high. Same with the mushrooms on the same scale, they look like they are some pretty damn huge mushrooms !

OVerall the composition, lighting, texturing is superb and I love the image. I just have my opinions about the grass and scale, I'm surprised no one else mentioned it !

Great work,

Todd

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.