PDA

View Full Version : "Rendering with Mental Ray" - opinions?

stew
12-11-2003, 02:55 PM
I am somewhat familiar with RenderMan (not PRMan, but Aqsis, 3Delight, etc) and am considering learning how to write Mental Ray shaders. I only have Mental Ray as included in Softimage XSI EXP, and don't think that one allows me to write shaders for it, does it?

Anyhow, I am considering purchasing "Rendering with Mental Ray", which supposedly comes with a demo copy of MR on CD. Has anyone here read the book and tried the MR demo? What are the limitations of the demo opposed to a full version? Can I use the demo version to write my own shaders and is there sufficient documentation and/or an SDK to write my own scene files? Would you recommend the book?

lazzhar
12-11-2003, 08:28 PM
The latest (second revision) of the "Programming Mental Ray" book
should come with a demo version which has the following restrictions:
This is a restricted mental ray demo version. Disabled features:
- performance - the demo runs about ten times slower on average,
- thread and host parallelism,
- loading and saving of shadow, photon, and final gather map files,
- light mapping, and
- resolutions greater than 510 * 510 and odd resolutions.
A mental ray stamp is overlaid on rendered images.

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=39664cd3.0311270223.21b1c54f%40posting.google.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dsp%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26group%3Dcomp.graphics.rendering.renderman

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.