PDA

View Full Version : still: Glass Chess Board

copeland3300
12-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Hey guys. It's a glass chess set. What more and I say? Enjoy!
http://cede.psu.edu/~dpw141/pictures/1.jpg

DarkBane
12-11-2003, 02:44 PM
Your glass looks pretty good, but it's a little hard to distinguish what is what. Maybe a different camera angle would help.

eburdeinick
12-11-2003, 03:17 PM
The Black pieces look very "BLACK" !!

MKane
12-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Not bad. It is a little hard to make out the black pieces. Even the clear piecec start to look black because of the angle.

Hey, every 3D artist must do a chessboard at least once!!

ghosty
12-11-2003, 09:25 PM
it looks nice, and I also think that changing the camera angle in such a way that the clear piece will look clear, and the black piece will look black.

I have not start my own chess borad yet, maybe I should have a go on it when I find some time.

nice work~~ :applause:

copeland3300
12-12-2003, 12:48 AM
i agree that the camera angle is bad, but i couldn't get one that was much better. I'll work on it tho.

MaxxQ
12-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Just a thought, but try scaling up just the board about 50% or so. I think part of the problem is that all the pieces are too close together. The light doesn't have much space to filter through between the pieces, making even the clear glass look darker than it should.

It'll also help with that sense of claustrophobia I get from the pieces all crowded together.:D

loganx3d
12-12-2003, 08:00 PM
What, no caustics? :shrug:

s0real
12-12-2003, 10:30 PM
the glass material on the pieces looks good, but i agree with the comments about spacing the pieces out a bit more - letting some light fall between them so that it's easier to distinguish between them.

i'm not sure if the board itself is doing the image any real favours. perhaps if you tried placing the glass pieces on a wooden chess board rather than trying to make the whole scene out of glass?

Dragonbreath
12-13-2003, 06:14 AM
As a photo-retoucher, the clients ALWAYS want detail in their image - whether it's realistic or not. Maybe your reference pic blew out the detail in the whites - I don't know, but I think if you put some, even into the hilights, this would work better. Same thing with the blacks - detail - (or contrast). Its too heavy. There isn't much of a mid-tone to the image --except 2nd row,bottom, on the left - that part's just about perfect.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to be negative. I would love to see this thing really pop.

I guess all these years of color-correcting has gone to my head.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.