PDA

View Full Version : Environment: a house

Hexodam
12-11-2003, 08:37 AM
This is my first real attempt of texturing, using unwrap and painting my own textures. Couldnt have been possible without 3dtotal texture cd's, hiiiiiighly recomended:bounce:
all painted textures in 2500x2500, rendered out for A3 printout
http://www.3d.is/korkur/files/render15small.jpg
any crits?

STRAT
12-11-2003, 09:16 AM
it's quite nice, but the texturing does need more work (as ur probably aware;) )

the ground, bucket and general house wall textures look fine, but that 2 toned wall needs work -

even thought you've nicely dirtied it up all the edges are ultra sharp and clean, it sticks out a mile. like that terracotta sloping bit - just too clean edged. it looks textured rather than natural.

the iron hand railing and gate seriously needs weathering up to, thats too new and clean. a small rust map would look good there.

even tho there's a nice gi feel to the image i think the raytraced shadowing is too flat and dark. the shadows in the arch recess and under steps and in the main door recess are too dark. maybe add a fill light or another gi bounce.

phoenix
12-11-2003, 09:31 AM
very pleasing ... yes 3dtotal textures are good product..

hey one thing by the way... shadows area too dark....

Hexodam
12-11-2003, 04:19 PM
STRAT,
thanks, I 100% agree with everything you said:thumbsup:
I'll try to avoid and fix all of those things when I do my next texturing project

phoenix,
I was just shocked about how good the textures were when I got the cd's, just amazing stuff, very true about the shadows, originaly there werent going to be so much shadows but I kinda added those (tree shadows) to give it more depth

playmesumch00ns
12-11-2003, 04:25 PM
I don't think the shadows need to be any darker (lvoe the tree shadows btw), just that they should be a touch more blue to simulate the fill light coming from the sky.

Totally agree about the harsh edges on the geometry, perhaps you could round the edges a bit and rough them up to match the textures.

As for the yellow and terracotta bits on the walls, I think you just need to desaturate them a bit - they've obviously been out in the sun a long time so they should be faded, with some varitation in the amount of desaturation

Hexodam
12-11-2003, 04:32 PM
http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/school01/1011617-caf4320b9555ec79.jpg
this is the reference I started out with
and an early render before I started any texturing
http://notendur.centrum.is/~czar/3d/school01/Render06.jpg

niki
12-22-2003, 12:07 PM
the second image is very beautiful..the light seems real...
very good work...

silv
12-22-2003, 12:31 PM
niki: the second image is real

Hexodam: you should work more on your lighting

television
12-22-2003, 12:51 PM
First of all it's a very realistic picture and I like it.
Second --Strat made some greats points-very perceptive- I would add that the bucket's texture looks a little "3D" to me,a little too plastic looking, like it doesn't fit in the environment with everything else. Mabey some bump map with noise or woodgrain-I can't exactly pinpoint what-mabey someone else has suggestions.

I especially like the cast shadows from the tree. The cast shadows in the lower left corner on the ground look too dark however.

What program & renderer?

niki
12-22-2003, 02:01 PM
oh my god...
I haven't read...:cry:

robbo59au
12-24-2003, 03:06 AM
Hexodam,

The first pic is great; no real problems with it, apart from the shadows which are the only giveaway....... respect!

Andreyev
06-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Yap, the second post is very nice, I can feel the atmosphere of Portugal. Well, I haven't been there, but I think that you catch the atmosphere. Very nice work!

P.S. Did you use some post-production for the seconf image?

Pjanssen
06-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by grape
Yap, the second post is very nice, I can feel the atmosphere of Portugal. Well, I haven't been there, but I think that you catch the atmosphere. Very nice work!

P.S. Did you use some post-production for the seconf image?
Haha, please read :p
The second picture is a photograph he used as a reference.

Andreyev
06-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Ooops, sorry :-) I though that this is 3D :)
well, the first picture is nice anyway :-)))

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.