PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 or 8?

Davinski
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Hello!
So I just ordered a new computer a few days ago; Intel 3930k, Nvidia GTX 670 and some other stuff. I've researched lots and I think the build is pretty solid, but this is not about the hardware. Rather the operating system.

I've used Mac and OS X for about as long as I can remember, only sporadically using Windows when I've had no other option. And that is where I am now, buying a PC and all. I guess Linux maybe could be an option, being more like OS X and all.. But I'm more familiar with Windows than Linux, and the former being more compatible with, well everything, I guess thats the less painful road to get everything up and running.

So! The question: Should I get Windows 7 or 8 (Professional version for both)? I'm a student so I can pick whatever for the price of 2-3 beers, so thats okay.

I will be mainly running Maya with Vray, and of course Adobe PS and AE - maybe some Nuke. I'm thinking that Windows 7 probably would be the wiser choice, since its been out for quite a while and everything should be compatible and run fine on it. Probably more stable as an operating system as a whole. But then again, Windows 8 is quite new and maybe brings something good to the table? Or is it just a pain right now, with software not supporting it yet and all those lovely Windows bugs?

I almost feel like I'm answering my own question here, but to keep it simple: Is there any reason at all to pick Windows 8 over 7?

Theta-Dot
01-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Windows 7 for now.
Win 8 isn't fully supported yet for most products -- you can probably make the change-over this time next year and by that time Microsoft will have tweaked/polished Win 8 further such that you get to skip any issues/bugs that are occurring on it now.
Just my opinion, though.

tswalk
01-27-2013, 06:50 AM
I've had zero issues with windows 8 so far... been running maya 2013 for a while on it along with photoshop cs3, sketchbook pro and various other utilities that do not have windows 8 specific support only windows 7.

The only time I ran into an issue was with visual studio 2012 and I tried to compile a DLL that was dependent on some old redistribution... I had to grab an older .NET version and installing them worked fine, so I've got 2005, 2008 and 2010 VC++ stuff recompiled w/o a problem along with .NET 3.5 and some other junk.

The real kick is making sure you have hardware drivers for your stuff... so, if you got a flatbed scanner from 1995, you might have problems.

of course, your milage may vary... but if it costs that little why not throw in a couple more beers and get both. i would.

CKPinson
01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
very annoying flicker in Photoshop cs6- see forums. The reason why I didn't upgrade after using preview. Their solution was to turn off advanced gpu features, then u can't rotate, use advanced features and so on.

sentry66
01-27-2013, 10:03 PM
I would stick with 7 and instead consider using 9 when it's released

Davinski
01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your input guys! I actually ended up getting W8 anyway, I guess partly because I'm a sucker for new and shiny stuff.. Anyway, everything works really well I must say. Maya, Vray, Phoenix FD, PS, AE - everything worked from the get-go without any trouble at all. The flicker in PS mentioned above I haven't noticed at all, so that problem may not exist anymore (?).

One thing I was bummed about though was the lack of the Start-button, being a novice Windows user without that button was quite confusing. I solved that with installing a program called StartIsBack, and it's basically like using W7 now.

:thumbsup:

tswalk
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I promise you that if you let the "button" go for a week, you will not miss it at all.. just think of the new "start screen" as a giant side scrolling start button with some new features.

anyway, glad it's working for you... CK was using preview/beta version which had more bugs then a NY subway bathroom.

CKPinson
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
True- True- but I have researched it more when getting my laptop recently which I love, but according to forums at ADOBE this issue that I had was still an issue for many- The issue was screwy and irritating enough to dissuade me- imagine every time you take a stroke in PS the background (The negative area around your canvas) flickers. Then Adobe and MS's answer to the problem is just to disable all of the advanced features- Then why even bother upgrading to the latest ps?

HOPEFULLY it was cleared up= I for one will wait for 9 because they're already talking about releasing it- reminds me of Vista to 7.

okmijun
02-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Any REASON for WIN 8?
I would like to hear it :)

Davinski
02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
From my own experience I can't think of a specific reason to upgrade - but on the other hand, I can't think of a specific reason not to either. There is not much new other than the graphical appearance really, from what I've noticed so far. I read somewhere though that it handles memory much more efficient, so if you're low on RAM that could potentially be a reason.

I do feel like W8 is quite fast and snappy, but that could simply be because I'm running it off an SSD - where as I've only run W7 on traditional harddrives before.

So if you already are on W7 - probably not worth it. If you are using OS X, Linux or older Win - why not? Granted that you aren't relying on older software that isn't compatible.

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.