PDA

View Full Version : Best 3ds max GPU for 300ish

GMG
01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Bought a new 3930k rig, need the best possible GPU for architectural visualiser, photoshop, after effects etc. best all rounder? Second hand quadro... GTX or FiroPro...

Have used a quadro 3700 for the last 3 years and its been great, handled everything I've needed so far poly count wise etc... But want a decent upgrade and surely 300 will work... What's the best card for that?

Hearing so much conflicting info about GTX being better. I run the performance driver for the quadro, if I jump over to GTX I don't get performance drivers... Will I notice the difference? 3ds max 2010 and 2011.

Good clear advice please if you can.

r0b3030
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
yeah, i've also been scouring over posts from the last 6 - 8 moths searching for answer to similar question,
GTX 6xx series, or Quadro2000, i can get either @ similar price.

This is the 2nd or 3rd thread i've seen in the last few weeks or so, kinda makes me wonder about some guys last year who said they thought Nvidia just might be negating//cutting back some of the features/power of GTX series so as to keep us all buying more of the expensive Quadros in the $$ range of those 4000 and higher cards.

What bugs me is that, like you, i do mixture of work--not just that i'm doing 3d + 2d,
but also i'm not in a large production house where even if u do both, each has dedicated pipeline & system,
so they can put [perhaps] alot of nice Quadro 6000s on their video editing & paint systems,

and more GTX's on some 3d systems that all have same software packages that are optimized for GTX line for example.

In my case, i'm doing a little of both but at low volume (not working in high volume/quantity such as animation houses or games or movie gigs--i used to work in games & post years ago),

so just working for myself now & will be using many different 3d apps as well as even a little CAD, and of course Ps for paint.

So i need a *GOOD balance* especially if i can only add the same/similar card as my 2nd board when i upgrade a yr down the line 4 isntance.

Well, i'm gonna start my own tread, now that i've read alot of the others, & see if i can give my details & get an answer--any answer of course will be more than my "noob hardware" experience, i'm just an artist/modeler.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.