PDA

View Full Version : Media Design School Opinions

nettles
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
So I have just finished my HSCs and have applied and was accepted into the Bachelor of creative technologies (game art) at Media Design School NZ. I am very excited about this result as I had been hoping to study there for a few years now. However now that the time has come I am having some concerns.
The first being that I am only 17 with no family in New Zealand. I was wondering what accommodation is like over there for someone in my situation and the extent of assistance I can expect from the Media Design school.
Also, what-with the high price of the course and the fact that I'm not exactly in a situation to go over and check it out first, I was wondering about the quality of the course itself. I mean, it looks great, but I was hoping to get the opinion of someone who has actually experienced it for themselves. This is really my main question. What will it be like, how much free time will I have, How well is it recognised by the industry, things like that.
Oh, and is it realistic for me to expect to be able to get a part time job?
I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

jorx
01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
hey Joseph!

I've got a coworker who like you has come from overseas (Shanghai I think)- studied the basic 3D animation course at MDS and has been working in NZ ever since. Here's what he had to say:

"I think MDS has a very well organized 3D course that's very efficient and highly recognized by the industry. There are some very talented tutors working there as well. Now it just turned into a degree course so I guess it's even better now haha. Regarding part-time job I think you won't be getting a lot of time doing part-time job since the course is pretty intense and you will be constantly busy dealing with assignments and research etc. But that was before when the whole 3D course was condensed into one year. Now it has been extended into 3 years so I think you probably would be able to afford to get a part-time job to support yourself."

if I might add to that- I'll just say that if you're in the top 20% of your class in terms of determination and productivity, that is to say, if you're decently good at what you do, then finding work after school in your field shouldn't be difficult. (probably easier to start in NZ then go international when you have enough experience)

MDS has come a long ways. I haven't studied there (outside of a volunteer month in programming) so couldn't tell you much more about it. best of luck!

nettles
02-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Thanks! I've arrived in auckland and am eagerly awaiting orientation day. I think my only worry now is that I've chosen a game art course in a school famous for it's film making. Dont get me wrong, I have no doubt that this course will be a great experiance too, I just wonder if I've missed an oppertunity. Do you now what the school is like in terms of transfer between courses?

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2013, 04:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.