PDA

View Full Version : Cheap but good mpeg 2 endcoding software?

gabe28
12-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Hi,
I recently purchased an Iomega DVD burner and it came with Sonic MyDVD 4.5 for making DVD movies. The software is pretty good but it doesn't give me any quality options for the encoding. I'm getting ready to make my reel and some of the test burns I've done look a little pixelated around horizontal edges. I think it's an issue with the default mpeg encoding. The softwares help files say that I can use a different app to do the mpeg encoding if I want to.

I have an old version of Cleaner that I have from when I was in college. It SUCKS!!! One of the buggiest programs I've ever tried to use. I simply can't get it to run stable enough to encode my animations. Plus it's an acedemic licence and I'm not sure if I can use it for a demo reel or not. Regardless, it's not stable enough.

Anyway, I'd like to know what the best options for encoding animations to mpeg DVD specs. I don't need to be able to rip commercial DVD movies or any crap like that. I just want to be able to put my reel together with the best possible quality. Also it has to be cheap or free.

Thanks.

s0real
12-11-2003, 10:41 AM
check out tmpgenc (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html) from pegasys inc.
i think it does what you want...

it's got loads of options and i think there's a pro demo vesion as well as a freeware version...

Maven
12-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Sorry to go off subject but does anyone know where I can get a free mpeg2 decoder?

s0real
12-11-2003, 02:17 PM
Sorry to go off subject but does anyone know where I can get a free mpeg2 decoder?

there's a file called klcodec210f.exe which is a codec pack put together that allows you to choose which codecs to install...
there's a decent mpeg2 decoder on there that works fine with wmp.

i can't find a dl link but you can probably find it at filemirrors.com (http://www.filemirrors.com)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.