PDA

View Full Version : How should I rig a fishing pole?

BadMange
12-11-2003, 03:54 AM
I'm doing an animation of a character casting off, getting a bite, reeling in and being pulled off a dock. What would be the best way to setup the rod, line and lure for this? I'm new to rigging and have no idea what my options are, if any. Would the rod be one joint, and the line have several joints?

Thanks,
Bad Mange

YankyBJeans
12-11-2003, 06:53 AM
This is what I might do, just right off the top of my head.

Pole: I think a nonlinear bend deformer would work perfectly for this. It would give you a nice bend in the pole shaft and you can animate its the deformers curvature.

Line: for the fishing line you might want to maybe use a long joint chain with an ik on it. Im not really too sure on that one. Perhaps a look at one of the dynamic rope/cable tutorials would help get the look right for you. If you did do the line with an ik chain you could point and orient constrain the lure to the end of it and it would move pretty realistically i think. Perhaps you could intigrate a stretch attribute into it too so that you can stretch the line as it gets cast.

Hope that at least gives you something to think about.

Yanky

BadMange
12-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the reply, Yanky. A bend deformer on the pole sounds perfect, wish I'd thought of it! I'll try an IK on the line/lure and see how it goes.

-Bad Mange

john_homer
12-11-2003, 06:24 PM
its early, and like Yanky, just off the top of my head....

the rod:
I would use a 2 joint IK chain for the rod, that way you can have joint 2 shorter than joint 1 giving the rod more bend at the tip end... a bend defirmer will look like.. well a bend derfomer...

the lure:
you could either just animate the lure (probably easier, dynamics would be hard to control), or make it a rigid body and attach it to the tip with a spring constraint.
(or do both and blend between them, when you need the control)
the line:
i think you can just stretch the line rather than making it "go out", make some clusters for where it goes up the rod, and attach them to the little metal loops that it goes through (dont know what they are called).
then for the line from the tip to the lure, you could attach the start to the tip the end to the lure and make a softbody with springs, target weights of 1 for the first and last CV, 0 for the others, so they do the springy dynamic thing.

that should work, springs can take some time to get working right.

edit: you could actually use cloth for the line too, or better syflex...
.j

BadMange
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by john_homer
...or make it a rigid body and attach it to the tip with a spring constraint.
(or do both and blend between them, when you need the control)

By blend you mean a blend shape? I'm very new to rigging and have had problems w/ blend shapes. I'll give it a go though, if that is indeed what you're talking about.

then for the line from the tip to the lure, you could attach the start to the tip the end to the lure and make a softbody with springs, target weights of 1 for the first and last CV, 0 for the others, so they do the springy dynamic thing.

I'm not sure what that means or even does, but I checked the help files. Paint soft body weights, next create a spring constraint and then use a Blend Shape to switch between them? Am I close? :D

you could actually use cloth for the line too, or better syflex...

What is syflex? Help files search came up empty.

Thanks for your reply, John.

-Bad Mange

john_homer
12-12-2003, 03:11 AM
to blend between 2 objects you can just use a point constraint with 2 targets, and blend between them with the weight attributes.

for the line..
you make a curve, and "attach" the start and end, you could use clusters for that..
then you make a soft body from that curve with the option to make original a target...
so now you have particles driving your soft curve.. you tell the first and last particles to have a goal weight of 1 (in component editor), you might want to give the next particles 0.5, to fade it a bit, then all the particles in the middle of the curve get a weight of 0, this mean that have no influence from the target curve... they get there movement from motion/gravity... and get pulled around by the "weighted" particles because you add springs to the particle....

syflex is a plugin for maya that makes maya cloth look very bad (sorry A|W)

.j

sahajyogi
12-12-2003, 05:55 AM
digital-tutors.com has a tutorial on that same animation

BadMange
12-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the explanations John, I appreciate it.

I'll check out that tutorial on DT, too. Thanks sahajyogi.

-Bad Mange

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.