PDA

View Full Version : Computer Animation and Visualisation at Bournemouth University: Kind of Portfolio?

DocWhite
01-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Hello everyone, firstly I want to thank all the people of this forum who helped me to be confident about my choice of applying for Bournemouth University.

I have received the confirmation, they are impressed with my application and they want me to do the 2 well-known tests (Maths and Logic). Moreover I am supposed to hand out a Portfolio.

I have some doubts with the kind of portfolio they want, in the mail it is said that I should include some stuff of life drawing, graphic work, or other things that may enhance my application.

I have never coursed drawing classes, and I am afraid about that. I can draw, of course, I can sketch, but... I don't know what to include in my Portfolio, my best skills are other ones, like graphic design, web designing, video editing, photography... But I am not very good at drawing.

In my Portfolio I opened a folder called "Sketchings" where I will upload 2-3 items drawn in pencil, but if their desicion is based and focused in this section I am dead :cry: :-)

I would like to show my Portfolio to you guys and if someone who has been studying in BU, or he/she is currently taking this course, could give me advice it would be wonderful.

My Portfolio: http://www.ramonblanquer.com/portfolio

Thank you so much for your attention!

moidphotos
01-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Hi there

The best thing to do would be to ask one of their staff (I'm assuming you mean NCCA and not AUCB). There's a thread on the student rooms where you can ask for help about the application process:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301364&page=116

Look for the user called Sofronis, he's one of the lecturers.

DaPerPT
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Great to see another person with the decision to apply for Bournemouth. Please if you could tell me your path here or pm me.. I would like to know how exactly is the interview and the tests... in 2 years, I will be exactly in the same position as you are right now.

One thing... your portfolio looks good, but I e-mailed Bournemouth and they said that they like to see a model of a building/car/character and they like to see drawings a lot as well...
Another thing about your reel... take those things from videocopilot out.. just a tip... I talked to a couple of interviewers and they hate to see those earth zooms and freeze effects over and over again, they want your own ideas.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe we will even meet each other one day... see you in 2 years, hehe.

DocWhite
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi there

The best thing to do would be to ask one of their staff (I'm assuming you mean NCCA and not AUCB). There's a thread on the student rooms where you can ask for help about the application process:

Perfect I will read it. Thank you.

Great to see another person with the decision to apply for Bournemouth. Please if you could tell me your path here or pm me.. I would like to know how exactly is the interview and the tests... in 2 years, I will be exactly in the same position as you are right now.

One thing... your portfolio looks good, but I e-mailed Bournemouth and they said that they like to see a model of a building/car/character and they like to see drawings a lot as well...
Another thing about your reel... take those things from videocopilot out.. just a tip... I talked to a couple of interviewers and they hate to see those earth zooms and freeze effects over and over again, they want your own ideas.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe we will even meet each other one day... see you in 2 years, hehe.

Cool! Many thanks a lot for all this great information! But I thought that you needn't know about 3D Modeling or Animation... They don't consider it very much so I joined some forums and it seems to be that they want sketching work to prove your sense of perspective is good I guess. In the mail they sent to me they say to include "life drawing, sketching or other graphic work that you think it will enhance your application", so photography it is also a possibility.

Furthermore I didn't know they're hating videocopilot stuff, in fact, it has sense... But this reel was focused to my School Project, so I will make sure them to realize that it is not "officially" a Reel, it is just part of a School Project...

I got approximately 9/10 of average in the Spanish ESO and Bachillerato, with excellent in Physics and Math, so what I am really afraid of are the drawing skills... Of course I know to sketch and all this, but I am not a professional, there are many other abilities which I am better at... I don't know... I'm waiting for the BU reply. If I didn't access I would think about taking a Foundation Year maybe, I don't know how are they and if they are worth or not, I have no idea, I will look for more information. Do you have models? Where did you learn? Do you have sketches?

To everybody: Could someone show me an example of the kind of drawing stuff that is required to access the university?

Thanks a lot!

DaPerPT
01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Yeah... I just gave videocopilot as an example and because you have some work that was clearly a give away that you folowed his tutorial, which is great, I'm not by any means saying that videocopiot is bad, everyone loves AK, he is a fantastic guy, but a lot of people put work like that in their reels, and they shouldn't, you reel is supposed to be original. Imagine you as an interviewer, you want a guy that can create his own stuff.

I'm actually more worried about the math test than I am of the drawing test, because the test is without a calculator, and that scares the sh*t out of me because I can only do things with a calc at my side... And they don't have any examples of the test!! So... I just want to ask people how the test really is. I'm taking arts so I have drawing class instead of physics... so yeah... It's better for modeling, worst for dynamics, but I guess in this day and age you can learn everything on your own.. so you're good anyway.

I'm learning 3D from digital tutors, lynda and some dvds from gnomon, and I read books while I'm bored in school. I don't have a lot of models to show off yet, because they are just like the videocopilot case, pretty close to the tutorial, the only original I have is this one (http://dandindarov.deviantart.com/#/d5l029z) .
I'm gonna start putting drawings in there soon as well...

About the not needing to know anything, I'm not sure, I asked about what kind of 3D stuff they wanted and they responded, I just know that you don't need to know any coding and that they prefer drawings over anything.

I still have 2 years to work on my reel and drawing skills, I'm in 10th grade now...

Good luck!!

DocWhite
01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Oh God, you're such an artist... I can't believe there are people in 10th grade doing that work... That's not normal in Spain, maybe because we are the bottom of the Earth hahaha

DaPerPT
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
God, thanks for the compliment but I'm not an artist yet... it's a pretty strong word, but thank you.

Look, the country doesn't matter, I live in Portugal, I'm your neighbor. (Just have a different name because I was born in Russia).

DaPerPT
01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi there

By the way, thank you moid for sharing that! It's a really good thread.

INDIANKRISH
01-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Hi friends im Krish From Bangalore, INDIA.

Anyone can please help me please.....

I have lot of doubts abt This PG course,

i have 2 years experience as a VFX artist, like STEREO PAINTING, ROTO, nd VFX PAINT like wire removals,
i have completed my 12th then i joined diploma in animation that is in ARENA dilshuknagar, hyderabad INDIA, now i want to do MA in digital effects, that is Right or wrong to do MA in digital effect ???????

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2013, 02:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.