PDA

View Full Version : Power of the xbox

Neil
12-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Interesting that CNET is even acknowledging the use of moded Xboxs. I wonder if any lawsuits will come about, because so far everything has been quiet.

http://news.com.com/2009-1043_3-5113175.html?tag=nefd_lede

This video is another example of why they sell xbox consols. I don't think everyone is exactly interested in the games. Just proof that sales numbers don't always tell teh whole story.

NUKE-CG
12-11-2003, 04:51 AM
Gaming Consoles - The wannabe PC.

WhiteRabbitObj
12-11-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by NUKE-CG
Gaming Consoles - The wannabe PC.

I used to, and to a certain extent still do, think the same way, but I have really started to appreciate the simpleness of just popping in a CD and going and not worrying about configs and (hopefully not) bugs, and patches and hackers, and... the list goes on. The dumbing-down of games for consoles is an atrocity and the reason that I will always love PC games first, but it's a hassle to keep up with all the PC stuff. Nice, after a hard day of work, if one can find some free time, to just relax with no worries.

NUKE-CG
12-11-2003, 08:06 AM
I'd just personally rather see the PC extend to meet that role of entertainment systems, not consoles which lack basics.

Other than hardware being prime already for high res video/5.1 sound/wireless devices.. the software is already available, and doesn't need to be hacked etc.

Consoles should stick to the games, leave the multimedia experience to the PC.

daevid
12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
The main problem with a X-box or playstation as media hub is their NOISE factor. I want my media server switched on constantly and don't want to listen to something equiliant to a vacuum cleaner all day. As for now I think it's easier to buy a silent PC.

I thought the media hub was an obsolete idea anyway, what you really need is a file server and some network cards and you can play music/movies from either your console(s), stereo(s) or computer(s), all at the same time..

/David

bentllama
12-11-2003, 09:26 AM
[xenon gonna rock you]

daevid
12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
[xenon is gonna rock us? cool, but i have no idea...]

vfx
12-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Old News! Please anyone with half a brain and an xbox must have by now realised and utilized its great power - shame Mirosoft didn't. when it came out.

Neil
12-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by vfx
Old News! Please anyone with half a brain and an xbox must have by now realised and utilized its great power - shame Mirosoft didn't. when it came out.

Yes, its old news. But it's news when public media sources start interviewing the players and putting it in the limelight. Shows that it has advanced beyond just teenagers on IRC and forums chatting about it and bragging about their specs.

And why is it a shame on Microsoft? People are buying the xbox to do stuff like this, it's a sale for them, and more income. And with every person that pimps out the box and throws it online for all to see is just more publicity for them.

bentllama
12-11-2003, 04:05 PM
[xenon gonna rock you]

onlooker
12-11-2003, 04:19 PM
I like the idea of console gaming. I think Sony did a lot for gaming, and computing in general with the PS2. When console gaming was almost dead it was abruptly revived by them alone IMO. I think it re-attracted people to video-games in the living room, and in turn made many of them gain interest in computing. Suddenly many of their new peers were geeks of another sort. For that reason, and many other similar ones I think that if it weren't for Sony's Playstation there would not be a quarter of the games there are today.

I take my hat off to Sony for that.

I want an XBOX for XMAS. :)

PhilOsirus
12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Consoles rules, I hate playing games on the PC. FPS games on the PC almost always have you running around at ridiculous speed, as if you were on rocket-powered rollerblades. The graphics are usually awful except for the textures' resolution, and playing with a keyboard or mouse prevents your from having smooth pressure-sensitive controls. And I noticed games on the PC evolve at an extremely slow pace compared to those on consoles. You have racing, fighting, strategy, RPGs, platformers, etc etc and no need to constantly upgrade your computer, no need for patches. You just put the CD and play comfortably on your couch, sitting on the floor with a few people, having fun.

:thumbsup: to consoles!

Valkyrien
12-12-2003, 03:41 AM
anybody know what the hell bentllama is going on about?:p

WhiteRabbitObj
12-12-2003, 03:49 AM
Maybe it's some XBox 2 thing he just got let in on or something. I'm sure Bungie has gotten at least a preliminary SDK for XBox 2 by now, games for PS3 are already in development. Or maybe he's just cracked out this evening! :D

MosaFacku
12-12-2003, 04:21 AM
[xenon gonna rock you] (http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/jake_ati_to_power_xbox_xenon.php)

:surprised

Valkyrien
12-12-2003, 04:32 AM
ah-HAH! thanks for the clarification for the lazy among us, i.e. me;)

heavyness
12-12-2003, 05:39 AM
i have no doubt that MS will make the XBOX2 more media friendly. look how many groups are out there trying to crack the xbox just so they can play media files of choice. why fight it. MS has been very user friendly with Live [giving the people what they want] and i'm sure they will do the same with Xenon. It only took this guy a simple little chip to do that, MS could implant a much better system.

although this would total compromised the XBOX2 security, a nice line to a pc would rock. able to share files between the two, grab screenshots, videos, download content for Halo 3 while chatting on CGTalk...

bentllama
12-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Halo 3?

heavyness
12-12-2003, 07:21 AM
ha, how did i know you would on top of that. just used that as a future title reference. shall i change that to Mech Assault 2?

[halo3 gonna rock you] ...jk

CGmonkey
12-12-2003, 07:56 AM
That's why I run a gamecube I don't want something that looks like a console and run like a pc. I just want to pop a game in and play. I don't want to fiddle around with.. Stuff. :]

Mwai Kasamale
12-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Makes an cheap rendernode:buttrock:

Low power consumption so doesn't hurt the monthly electric

bentllama
12-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
That's why I run a gamecube I don't want something that looks like a console and run like a pc. I just want to pop a game in and play. I don't want to fiddle around with.. Stuff. :]

on all 3 major systems their base functionality is to "drop in a game" and play...if you just wnat to do that then it does not matter how it runs to you, just pop in your disc and play...no one ever said you HAVE to fiddle around with it...

WhiteRabbitObj
12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I agree with bentllama, having played plenty on all three major systems, no system is easier than any other to just pop in a game and go. It's really what kind of games you want, I find Gamecube has incredibly craptastic games except for games for parties. Mario Kart, Smash Brothers (which I blow majorly at), Mario Party, those types of games. XBox has better single player action as well as the obligatory Live content.

And don't speak of Halo3 while Halo2 is in crunch time! bentllama is going to go postal! :beer:

SheepFactory
12-12-2003, 03:56 PM
are you calling metroid prime , zelda , resident evil craptastic party games?

most games come out on all three systems anyway.

RobertoOrtiz
12-12-2003, 04:07 PM
I love my Gamecube!

I am currently Playing Soul Calibur II, Metroid Prime, Medal Of Honor Frontline and ROTK.

The performance of the system is nice
and the $99 cannot be beat.

-R

Spankspeople
12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Somebody mentioned Resident Evil? *drool*

Don't mind me... I'll just be over here... in this castle that I build... out of Survival Horror game boxes...

*readies the Silent Hill launcher*

kiaran
12-12-2003, 06:15 PM

I think what he meant was that the gamecube has ALOT of console only games whereas the Xbox and PS2 are competeing directly with PC games. That is why I own a gaming PC and a gamecube. Between those two machines the ONLY thing I miss is Halo. (Don't think that doesn't hurt, though;) )

barto9
12-12-2003, 11:17 PM
the thing i like about the xbox right now is that the games look better compatred to ps2 for example. i was used to playing gta on my firends ps2 and when i got it for xbox i was suprised at how noticable the difference was in the graphics. i like both pc and console gaming. i think they both have their advatages

Geta-Ve
12-13-2003, 12:52 AM
this is how i see it.

Gamecube : for the most part is for children, and while i am not into most of the games for Gamecube seeing as alot of them are for kids, I really hope nintendo stays that way because it is a great supplier of safe childrens games. this is the console that i suggest to anyone with kids approx 14 and under.

Of course I know its sad but true, that nintendo if they were to stay this way would most likely go out of buisness, however its still nice that they have this reputation, and i hope for the most part keep it up as long as possible.

Playstation 2 : the playstation 2 is (to me) an all around great gaming system. (apart from the damn disc read errors that are so frequent in the earlier system models) it has basically every genre of game and by far the most choice. And it has high reputation. For me the PS2 is my console of choice, and I stand with it through thick and thin. True its online content is not that of the Xbox's but its good enough. and plus (imo) the best final fantasy games have been made for the playstation/2.

Xbox : The main thing that Xbox has going for it, I would say is its Online capabilities, and its better graphics. Though its games (to me) are somewhat lacking. APART FROM HALO of course! lol. which I think is definatly one of the best games i have ever played. But ya. not to say that that is the only good game for teh xbox, because that is obviously not true, but compared to Sony, it doesnt compare. But I believe that MS will definatly grow with its Xbox2. and if it doesnt, well no "great" loss to me. heh

hmm reading over what i just read its not very fluent, but i hope you get the jist of what i meant.. also remember that this is purely my opinion :D

heavyness
12-13-2003, 01:15 AM
when it comes down to it, systems don't mean squat. i can still play Counter Strike on my slow computer, and its still better then some brand new, Pent4 2gig, 512mb of ram pushin' squad based shooters. would of Zelda : Wind Waker been a better game on the Xbox? no, it would of been the same game. graphics don't make games better then others, the people making it do.

it's all about the games.

if you don't like a game because the lens flare or the anti-aliasing isn't as good on your system compared to others systems, your very shallow. for once, turn the graphics off and play the game. its kinda like reading a book, something called imagination.

it's all about the games.

imran
12-13-2003, 09:35 PM
mmm..what is Xenon by the way ? that is gonna rock us :S

Cheers.

CONNAN
12-14-2003, 09:16 AM
Kole, I agree with you, when you say that it's all about the game. But for me, "All about the game" also encompases graphical aspects of the game. Whats the use of playing an awesome game with and intense story and not being able to be visually intune with it? I love games that deliver on all levels. For me, no matter good a game is, if it cannot present its enviroments graphically and atmospherically, I cant play it. I play games to get away... and I find that I just can't if the game looks like shiet. My 2 cents..

heavyness
12-14-2003, 05:50 PM
"I play games to get away..."

same here.

but when i play a game, i total engulf myself within the game to the point i'm in the game. maybe to the point i think i'm the young Jedi or the Master Chief shooting aliens. at that point, my imagination takes over. doesn't matter if it's 8 bit, 16, or 128 graphics, they all look the same i my head. doesn't matter if it's a flat background in a 2d side scroller of some mountains or a 3d rendering that looks photo realistic of a mountain range, it's the same to me.

what i'm saying is graphics isn't the most important aspect of a game.

Geta-Ve
12-14-2003, 09:07 PM
oh of course they arnt, and im sure most everyone realizes that, but now a days they are becoming more and more important. i can play an 8 bit game just as easily as anyone else.. heck i even love pong. but now a days try to sell pong. if they sold pong exactly as it was when it first came out for 80 dollars on a ps2 or what not would you honestly go and buy it? or would you go buy FFX-2 that is sitting right beside it? lol ok not really a fair example but you know what im getting at right?

all im saying and you already know is graphics mean alot these days, they help the game in great ways.. but as everything else does.. bah everyone knows what i mean, im gonna stop talking before i make myself look too stupid... (providing i havnt done that already!):D

Kion
12-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Sony made it cool to play video games. It has the best controller hands down.

I think the ps2 is the top console, graphics may not be of xbox quality but its close enogh. Huge ass vault of games that are backwards compatible and on the ps3 you'll be able to play ps1 and ps2 games. and dvd, i know alot ppl that bought becuase it came with that feature AND again the best controller ever!

Nintendo needs to get off its high horse and make some damn games. GC's grapics are a liitle better thean ps2's but the processing power is comparible to PS2 some say its better others say its worse. And no dvd player what r u guys thinking

Xbox needs to make a console and not a mini pc. It is the most powerful console but just like GC lacks software. They have a few killer titles but not enough. AND the need to fix their controller, those small hard buttons kill my fingers.

For online games i perfer pc. as for graphics , console's usaully lead the first few years then pc catches up, becuase programers and artist are fine tuning ther games to one hardware spec not to work on nvidia, ati, pentim3 800 to p4 3.2,amd6f to whatever, they can just consentrate on getting the most performace out of one machine. So when new ps3, xbox comes out I think its gonna be some damn cool stuff.

Geta-Ve
12-15-2003, 07:49 AM
2mellow: all your points are dead on (imo) except for one.. that gc has better gfx that ps2!!! how could you say such a thing!! :cry: i wont believe it!!! the GC was just a horrible idea over all..from its small size to its HORRIBLE controller layout... im sorry but i will NEVER like nintendos controllers!!! (except for normal nintendo) they were so plain to the point of loveable! lol

to me it seems like nintendo is sort of becoming the next sega.. trying out crazy stuff you know... thats what i admired about sega, was their willingness to try out crazy ideas, i really respected them for that... even though that to me was their downfall...

the main thing im interested in though with the new consoles specifically ps3, is what their controller will look like... thats gonna be some major news item.. i think at least...

btw i kinda like the xbox controller.... not the new one... lol i liked the first one the really big and bulky one... it actually felt like you were holding something.. haha..

anyways.. the ps3 better come with everything the ps2 is COMING OUT with.. lol better not hve to buy the damn stuff for it!! cant really say ive wasted my money on my ps2 though.. :D

Kion
12-15-2003, 08:35 AM
the main thing im interested in though with the new consoles specifically ps3, is what their controller will look like... thats gonna be some major news item.. i think at least...

Ps3 controllers will be the same, they might change a little but not much just like the dual shock ps1 to the dual shock 2 ps2(all buttons have different levels of sensivetivity)

the problem Dreamcast, GC, and XBOX is the off the shelf prossecors they use, and what is going to make the next generation of gaming cool as hell is that each company Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo will all be developing custom processors for their consoles.

I think the ps3 will be the most interesting with cell technolgy, there won't be a so called graphics chip in the ps3. Programmers will be able to asign different jobs to any of the processors. Unlike xbox which has alreagy teamed with Ati

Also the ps2's emotion engine is very powerful but the big bottle neck is the ram

Zeruel the 14th
12-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Atleast i know what xenon is now. I do feel cheated though. I thought it was a reference to the likes of Xenon 2. A great old game but the guns in the first level looked like penises. The 'foreskin' would 'pullback' and they'd fire little balls at you. (like most baddie things in the game)

I've discussed the game in recent times with a friend and we've come to the conclusion that the guns are in fact phallic in nature.

Having said that. Boo hoo to Nvidia...i'm sure they were counting on the future profits. Too bad for them i guess. I suppose ATI simply were more convincing. If their drivers were better. I'd probably buy ATI.

I wonder what MS will do about back compatibility...its been a winner for sony.

Joss
12-15-2003, 08:31 PM
Well, I'm in the PC gaming camp for a real good reason:

Content creation

I'm an artist, like you, and I like being able to buy a game that I can build levels for or add a mod to.

I see limitations in that aspect with consoles.

Neil
12-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Joss
Well, I'm in the PC gaming camp for a real good reason:

Content creation

I'm an artist, like you, and I like being able to buy a game that I can build levels for or add a mod to.

I see limitations in that aspect with consoles.

I'm starting to think the opposite. I used to love Mod'ing but I've realized it's the downfall of online gaming. Mod-able games just get hacked so quickly, that the minute you go online to play everyone is wallhacking, headshotting, etc.
If the game never gets edited, and i have to play the same exact game for only a year or two before it looses popularity, i would still like it. That year or two would be sold gaming fun.
Call of Duty was hacked the first week after it was launched, how much fun is that?

Geta-Ve
12-15-2003, 10:49 PM
that is very true.. and so a big thing for online console games is upgrades, specifically speaking for xbox, with the use of its hard drive.. having a game upgradable is a great way to keep it interesting! now all we gotta do is wait for sony to get its butt in gear... btw anyone know when the North American hard drive is gonna come out??? i am really waiting eagerly for this... :drool:

Joss
12-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Call of Duty has been hacked already?

I've been playing off and on multiplayer for a month now and have yet to find some dork using cheats, but I don't doubt you.

Those little turds are bound to pop up sooner or later. It's a shame.

Valkyrien
12-16-2003, 12:25 AM
favorite console controller=hands down N64. The layout was BUILT for shooters! you had strafing with C, a handy trigger, and action buttons in all the right places! strafing with an analog stick is the worst thing you could possibly do, especially when up and down on that stick control looking up and down!

Geta-Ve
12-16-2003, 04:46 AM
thats why we sony playstation users have the handy shoulder buttons...:rolleyes:

play red faction 2 for ps2, that has probably the best shooter controller setup on the ps2... but the all time best setup was for halo on the xbox... so well thought out...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.