PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Portfolio for Colleg

Coanmenel
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I have taken 2 years of community college Gen Ed classes. Im preparing a portfolio to transfer to SCAD. My major will be Visual Effects while minoring in Animation and Film/Television. Everything I have done was self taught since my community college has no programs for me to use or classes to take. All I have used is AE and trying to learn Maya. For a transfer student with no prior knowledge of these programs and had no help from anyone in this industry I wanted to get opinions on one of the pieces I am sending in my port. Let me know opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCCFScoKt8Y

artzolio
01-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Hi! I wanted to give you an extensive review to your portfolio, but I was not able to view it, since it tells me its not available for ipad. If you post a version for ipad, let me know!

Cesar Montero - Surfacing Artist @ DreamWorks Animation

taxguy
01-23-2013, 03:59 AM
The link let me to a "chess video" with real people. Is this your portfolio? First, as far as I know, a portfolio isn't required by SCAD except for achievement scholarships. They will take any type of work. If you are applying solely for film and television, your submission will be ok. If you are applying for visual effects, it isn't that good. There aren't a lot of sophisticated effects such as use of particles and dynamics, animation etc. I , frankly, wasn't impressed. It looked too amateurish.

Andrewty07
01-25-2013, 04:12 AM
I wouldn't have showed this as a "portfolio". The visual effect I saw consisted of maybe 3-4 seconds of frames using a light saber. Remaining fire and explosions were clearly separate clips and if there is much indepth review of the portfolio for the course it won't favor well. If you haven't already, dig into Andrew Kramer's tutorials on after effects here: http://www.videocopilot.net/. Learn as much as you can from them but do not duplicate his work, it is extremely tacky and redundant to see and anyone used to looking at the content will point out what is action essentials or a video copilot effect.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2013, 04:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.