PDA

View Full Version : Will my upgrade work?

Darkherow
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi
I hope someone can help me, I'm finally upgrading my system after getting together the money to do so from a very long period of time. I know I have posted in the past about upgrading but due to circumstances I'm only able to upgrade my system now. I will be getting the following-

Asus Sabertooth x79
Intel Core i7 3820, S 2011, Sandy Bridge-E
Thermaltake SP-750M 750watts power supply
1GB Nvidia Quadro 600
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Jet Black 1600mhz cas 9-9-9-27
NZXT Havik 120 CPU Cooler

I'm keeping the 2 Hard Drives and I think it's just DVD/CD Rom Optical Drive in the new computer build.
The hard drives are-

ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 1TB 7200RPM

Samsung HD501LJ SATA 3Gb/s 500GB 7200RPM

The DVD/CD Rom drive has a strange name that I could hardly find anything on it-

ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P

The main thing I would like to know is if the power supply will be enough with 750 watts or do I need more? I have considered getting a 850w due how long I'm going to keep this machine and eventual upgrading the CPU and GPU perhaps. The one I have listed is a thermaltake 750w PSU but I have considered the Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 850w as it seems to be better in protection. I don't really want to go with a corsair cause there's been many bad reviews. I'm also try to limit the price to below 120 if possible but welcome recommendations.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6806

Sorry for my ignorance but what does it mean when people review PSU on Ripple? Hows does a high amount affect the system? there's a review for the coolermaster PSU and I don't really know what that means.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/Silent_Pro_M2_850W/1.html

I'll be using this machine to build my new 3d reel and be rendering off of it. Using Mainly Maya and Mental Ray. This is a really important build for me as this is the last of my savings and I won't be able to get another machine. I hope someone can help and I will be very greatful thanks.

jojojo
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Any particular reason for taking the 3820 such as need for high memory bandwidth, high amounts of ram or an upgrade perspective to 6 core?
Otherwise you might want to consider the 3770K as it is cheaper, newer architecture and significantly less power hungry.
I'm running 3930k with a 480 W PSU, 750 or 850 W is overkill.

olson
01-14-2013, 08:26 PM
1GB Nvidia Quadro 600

That's a very slow graphics card. It will be frustratingly slow to work with for 3D viewports.

The main thing I would like to know is if the power supply will be enough with 750 watts or do I need more?

A good 750 watt power supply is more than enough for that build. Even a 500 watt would be more than enough.

Sorry for my ignorance but what does it mean when people review PSU on Ripple? Hows does a high amount affect the system? there's a review for the coolermaster PSU and I don't really know what that means.

Ripple refers to how much the output voltage fluctuates. A little ripple is to be expected when going from AC to DC. Excessive ripple is bad, it can cause instability and possibly damage components or shorten their life (ripple is also an indicator of the quality of the design of the power supply).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)

CKPinson
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
PSU is overkill, that nvidia QUADRO 600 will run on tripple a batteries LOL

tswalk
01-14-2013, 08:46 PM
ya, i have a i7-3930k with the sabertooth x79, 3 SSDs, 2 1TB HDs, 2 GTX 580s and some other crap in there and my max power usage is under 300 Watts even under load

Darkherow
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Well I've been trying to work out the watts myself but I could find what the power consumption on the Ram is. Any idea? I know the watts for the other components but found nothing on the ram.

Well I was think that further down the line I might change the CPU, GPU and add more Ram so I might need the extra power. Also don't power supply gradually lose some of it's wattage over time?

I wanted a 2000 quadro but too expensive and the 600 should be fine for now, I'll probably upgrade it in the future. I mean right now I only have a quadro fx 1700 512mb and the viewports haven't been too bad but I haven't had too many polys in some the scenes.

With the CPU I was thinking of possible future upgrades, as there's going to be newer CPUs for the 2011 socket and the performance is pretty good anyhow. Also I heard it's more stable for 3D work and I won't be play games on this machine, as it's for me to get a reel out of it.

Thanks Olson for the explaination on the ripple. Sorry that I'm not that technically knowledged but I guess that's why I'm here to get answers.

olson
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Well I've been trying to work out the watts myself but I could find what the power consumption on the Ram is. Any idea? I know the watts for the other components but found nothing on the ram.

Each stick of memory will use a few watts. Not very much at all in the big picture (unless you have like 64 sticks of memory).

Well I was think that further down the line I might change the CPU, GPU and add more Ram so I might need the extra power. Also don't power supply gradually lose some of it's wattage over time?

Yes, power supplies do gradually lose some of their wattage with age. Even with upgrades and aging a good 750 watt power supply is more than enough. If you just want a big power supply then get it, but you don't need it.

With the CPU I was thinking of possible future upgrades, as there's going to be newer CPUs for the 2011 socket and the performance is pretty good anyhow. Also I heard it's more stable for 3D work and I won't be play games on this machine, as it's for me to get a reel out of it.

Intel changes the socket with pretty much every processor generation so get what you want now knowing that an upgrade in the future will likely require a new motherboard.

Thanks Olson for the explaination on the ripple. Sorry that I'm not that technically knowledged but I guess that's why I'm here to get answers.

No problem! Glad I could help.

r0b3030
01-18-2013, 07:22 AM
i'm also trying to config a new rig now, w/ a few similar issues, I'll start my own thread but i'm checking other threads in which other artists are getting/using nvidia 660 / 70s.
I'm trying to decide to get a 660 or 70, now or Quadro 2000 (can't afford dual cards so i'll probly add another card in a year or so).

i used to work in 3d modeling/lighting [assets for games but some medical illustrations & 2d illustration long loooong ago, whew],
these days my processing & GPU needs are different:

just low-volume production for my own art & experimenting w/ models for 3d-printing--
so my poly counts/geometry could get large but probly not "huge"--nor any big worlds or heavy-production-deadlines or need for big render pipelines.

I used to use old version of 3dsMax, so i'll be getting into Max, modo, zBrush, possibly C4d
(i liked using C4d's 3d-paint in the past), and then Ps for general paint..
but no serious video editing, and no gaming.

Not going to have SLI, had it on old system, doubt i ever took advantage of it-- seems it's best 4 gaming &
multiple-realtime-viewports from what i understand). I'll have enough PCI-E slots on Asus mobo for 2nd card when i can afford it.

Like you mentioned above--i'm also on tight budget // savings, lotta medical bills 2 pay...>_<

WIll have an i5 w/ 8gb sys ram on Win7 pro/64bit.

i don't know any hardware or algorithm/math, so having a tricky time reading thru all the info thesdays on GPUs & how their cores handle model data, polys, mapping & such:
so anyone who knows about GPUs & cards please lend advice;-)

Hope i gave enough details to be helpful--and I hope my post is close enough to this thread that i'm not getting in the way, if so, lemme know & i'll just stick to the thread i'm going to start in just a minute--
since ur thread is so current & similar video card & such, i hope it will not take the thread off track, apologies if so!

..THANX for any advice.. mucho appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2013, 07:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.