PDA

View Full Version : Tree Krunch Node 4 Maya

DaKrunch
12-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi there!
These days i have worked a bit on a node on maya... it should take a few parameters and returns a... poligonal mesh of a tree...!

here are some shots... :wip:

looking for some ideas to make it stronger (keeping it as a node though.. don't really want to create a full plugin)

http://membres.lycos.fr/dakrunch/Images/Shots/treekrunch01.jpg

any help?
cya!

Wes_Brown
12-10-2003, 11:18 PM
I am not a programmer but on the asthetic side I would love to see a way to get more curvature out of the segmants. I supose this just means you would have to subdivide the mesh more to get the curve. I am a big fan of procedural plant creation I just wish the end results didn't have so many straight lines. I will say however, that it is looking really nice so far ! good job!

Hugh
12-11-2003, 12:14 AM
You use L-Systems for that?

I know the theory, but have never put it into practise myself...

DaKrunch
12-11-2003, 09:05 AM
it's not L-System fractal.
I used it at first but it didn't turn out realistic enough

as for the straight lines you're right but it's not just a matter of subdivisions :( branch generation is not curve-based...
anyway thanks a lot i'll look 4 a way out to make it look better

Wes_Brown
12-11-2003, 03:36 PM
i have always benn amazed at procedural plant creation. Houdini can do some amazing things with thet type of work but I'm not a user yet. (I always have these grand visions of making all these vines grow and take over buildings and what not...makes for some really cool animation I think.) Does your node animate?

DaKrunch
12-11-2003, 04:20 PM
sure!
as every node in maya, its attributes (age etc...) can be connected to any other attributes, and are keyable!

before christmas i wanted to make a funny procedural animation with a christmas tree ;)

ufa
12-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi!

I am also scripting on a tree structure, I am working with MAX script though.

http://www.corenne.com/ufa/olika2.jpg

some of the trees it is capable og creating, the leafs and spikes are scatterd with max own scatter funktion, but I am working on the internal leaf scatter funktion now for better control since in animation max scatter tend not to be that great.

interresting to see that someone else is workin on similar scripts .

The "interface (http://www.corenne.com/ufa/intref.jpg)" kind of start getting complicated which is qiute the opposite of what i intended at first, but all the possibilities i wanted demands so.

the interface have changed a bit since this screenshot

would be great to swap some tips/ideas, since i am not that great on maths and the script works completely on its own, no max cylinders etc. so for me the maths are a limiting factor.

My script works as a "plugin simpleObject

DaKrunch
12-18-2003, 04:48 PM
your trees look amazing!
congrats! :applause:
really!

my work on the other hand isn't a script. A maya node is more similar to a big mathemathical function (or a complex primitive)

..a bit harder to write :blush:

a very short script creates the node and connects the attributes to a shape node so that the tree can be visualized. This way, moving the sliders, i can get a VERY fast response and refresh of my tree.

Anyway... the interface isn't very good (isn't even intended to be), and my leaves are generated by my own algorythm (so under heavy reworking).

UVs are still to be generated. Maxscript is very effective, i like it a lot but what i need is a fast parametrical function...
its final utility is to generate believable trees that are automatically controlled by terrain, weather, camera and machine-speed information.

i'd really love to try your script!
if you wish to see my work contact me by mail!
cya!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.