PDA

View Full Version : landscape

chrleon
06-16-2002, 06:35 PM
he.

was wondering if someone in here has some good tips on tecturing a flat valley floor. Kinda like nevada desert or the gobi desert. What I am looking to do is texture a LARGE flat plane that seems to go on forever into the horizon.

chrleon
06-17-2002, 08:29 AM
come on people! I need help on this one..

Do you need to see some basic volumes to see what i mean, in that case i will post it tonite (GMT 1900-ish).

But give me some clues.. :)

LucentDreams
06-17-2002, 08:57 AM
uhhhm okay here are some clues and hints.

1)First of all, get some photo reference of large desert valleys. preferably ones in the area of which you wish to texture (THE GOBI or SAHARA will be quite different.)

2)Look at the references

3) Consider which you understand better, procedurals or painting.

4)Look at the references

5)Consider what apps you have to do this with (do you have good procedurals, can you paint good textures with your painting app, mspaint can't cut it.)

6)Look at the references. Study each apsect of the terrain in them, how does light relect on them, are the shiny, are they matte, how many types of bumps do you see, very small grain, large wavypatterns, what colours do you see and how do they vary in tone, how do the colours rect to the light. what kind of oddities are the like cracks and such.

7)Model you terrain.

8)Look at the references.

9)Begin painting.

10)begin procedurals.

11)More painting

12)Lighting.

13)Camera angle and effects

14)render

Hope that helps.

chrleon
06-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Thanks, kaiskai.

modelling in cinema as i understand you do as well?

The clues are great, and really helpful!!

One more thing.. how large should the texture be to get the scale of things? Approx? Is there any use in going like 5k+ or shpould I by then be using procedurals.

Maybe I'm asking alot of stupid questions here, but I've never modelled landscapes before..

thanks.

derwolpertinger
06-17-2002, 04:48 PM
well for texturing a huge landscape i would hardly recommend using sla's procedural shaders. i always do it this way and it works pretty good. use a fresnel or some colorized 3d noises in fusion in the color channel. and then put some 3d noises in fusion in the bump channel(with different scales-->to add some variation to the desert, eg. some little stones with the small noise and a bigger noise for some little hills or stones).
you can use some 3d noises in the other channels, like diffusion or specular, too if you want to add even more variation. i hope i could help you out. it would be cool if you then could show what you've created finally.
good luck!!:cool:

LucentDreams
06-18-2002, 03:51 AM
I have never used a texture larger than 1600x1600. I would go as high as 2400x2400 for certain kinds of projects for highquality TV or Feature effects maybe but other than that never higher than 1600x1600. Once you get to that point you should be looking at how to use procedurals, or ways of using tiled maps inconspicuously and mixing them and such. HOnestly I haven't done a lot of serious terrain myself, (actually only two or three in my whole 3D career.) There is an artist I can recimmend for you though, can't remember what app he uses, but he does amazing landscapes with procedurals, and a little painting too. (really into procedurals, and has a little attitude but nothing too bad.) He might be able to help you out a little more with this stuff.

http://www.bprince.com/

And yes I do everything in XL right now (playing with my XSIexperience though) Here is acutally a decent mountain made using a landscape object and procedurals in XL. http://forum.bhodinut.com/viewtopic.php?t=352

the other adantage of this link is that I have basically recreated the CHEEN sla shader using SLA channel shaders so that it works in a standard material allowing for more accurate control and mixing capabiilities.:thumbsup:

chrleon
06-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Hi guys!

thanks for all the tips.

I'll post some wip's when I get around to it. Probably sometime tonight ..

Wish me luck :)

leigh
06-18-2002, 01:11 PM
heheh ok, good luck :thumbsup:

chrleon
06-18-2002, 08:24 PM
hi.

i posted a WIP in the critique area

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11084

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.