PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about computer setup...

Jb5k1
12-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Can I get some opinions about this setup I have for my computer I'm gonna build. Personal opinions and possibly experiences are greatly appreciated.

Wishlist setup (only wishes til I make some money) (http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishList.asp?position=current&submit=add&item=19-103-376)

EDIT:
BTW, I already have CD drives and stuff. This list is just what I need.

Thx:bounce:

dmeyer
12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
um...you're probably gonna need more than just a processor.

:shrug:

Jb5k1
12-10-2003, 09:28 PM
I hope you mean like CD drives and junk, cause I have them.

When I pull up the link it's everything but CD drives, sound card, and modem.

I guess I should've mentioned that

dmeyer
12-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
I hope you mean like CD drives and junk, cause I have them.

When I pull up the link it's everything but CD drives, sound card, and modem.

I guess I should've mentioned that

All i get is an XP 2800.

Probably can't link to a secure shopping cart thats tied to you're username. :wip:

Jb5k1
12-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Whooops

That sux, so, I'll just list whats on there and the prices

Processor:
AMD Barton 2800+

Mobo:
Asus A7N8X-X nForce 2

Memory:
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200C2PT

HD:
MAXTOR 120GB 7200RPM IDE HARD DRIVE

Monitor:
ORION 9E9 19" CRT Monitor Retail
CRT

I want to get a smaller, secondary hd for strictly the OS, and then maybe a second monitor (of higher quality, I've never even heard of Orion monitors, but it's on me budget :thumbsup: )

Joel.Hooks
12-11-2003, 01:10 AM
You can get some nice Trinitron 21" monitors on Ebay for $200ish. I bought one from a guy called "monitormon" there and it's been great. He's always selling em.

I have that motherboard with the barton 2500+ and I really like it.

Ice Czar
12-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Id recommend ECC and Registered SDRAM
if you can swing it and more of it

Jb5k1
12-11-2003, 12:01 PM
ECC? And whats the difference if it's unregistered?

Aren't SATA hd's really expensive (i need a job, i need a job, i need job).

My computer is gonna cost me like $600-700. Beats buying a crappy ass Dell though. But I'm not gonna sell the dell. That will be the computer for my rents (cause I kno they'd mess up mine).

Thx everyone

Ice Czar
12-11-2003, 01:25 PM
ECC = Error-Correcting Code memory
Registered (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/r/registered_memory.html) A memory module that contains registers that hold the data for one clock cycle before it is moved on to the motherboard. This process increases the reliability of high-speed data access. Registered memory modules are typically used only in servers and other mission-critical systems where it is extremely important that the data is properly handled.

Read animation workstations
many if not most highend dual motherboards require ECC and Registered RAM
but its not universally compatible with all chipsets\mobos
as a matter of fact that mobo wont support it sorry , my mistake :cry:

Max. 3 GB unbuffered PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR RAM Memory

but you would still seriously benefit from alot more memory
at least 1GB perferably 3GB, the problem with that is that 1GB sticks are never cheap, and that ideally you would want to migrate them to your next platform. For me its a primary concern in which mobo I choose.

Im currently running three parallel RAM platforms
1GB 2x512MB PC133 unbuffered
1GB 4x256MB PC2100 unbuffered
4GB 4x1GB PC2100 ECC & Registered (for a Tyan K8W)

Valkyrien
12-12-2003, 05:02 AM
don't go the route of a motherboard with onboard graphics. Go AGP!

Jb5k1
12-12-2003, 12:00 PM
OMG I'D NEVER DO THAT

I bought a Quadro 2 pro on eBay!

Yes, I have all the essentials already ie: cd drives, sound cards, vid cards.

GregHess
12-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Ice,

Your making decent recommendations...but for the wrong system.

The Nforce2's don't support SDRAM, nor do they support registered or ECC ram.

Make sure when your posting a recommendation that its tailored to a specific system type, so that people don't accidently buy hardware thats incompatible with their systems.

I see that you later corrected your error (in your message). In future you might just want to completely wipe out the original recommendation =/. Would suck if Jb5k1 missed your correction and picked up a few gigs of useless PC133 Registered ECC.

Jb5k1,

System looks decent, here are a few notes.

1) If your getting the maxtor, or any harddrive in particular, make sure its the variant with 8 megs of cache. The 8 meg cache drives have a 3 year warranty (and enhanced performance) while the normal 2 meg cache drives only have a single year replacement warranty.

The difference in price between the two is usually very minor, and its actually more expensive to buy an extended warranty for the 2 meg cache drives, then to just have purchased an 8 meg cache drive in the first place.

I'm also a fan of WD over Maxtor myself, but thats just a personal bias based on experiences I've had.

2) If your looking for a better soundcard then you already have, think about upgrading to a version of the Asus board which has nvidia's soundstorm. Soundstorm is currently the best* sound solution on the market today (*=always debatable), and usually the boards aren't significantly more expensive then non soundstorm solutions.

3) Its in your best interest to check whats most important in your app of choice. Processor cache, or processor speed. There is a definitive difference in performance between a 2800+ barton and a 2800+ XP.

The 2800+ Barton runs at 2.083 ghz, while a 2800+ XP is pushing 2.25 ghz.

It might actually be possible that you could both increase performance, and save money by dropping to a Athlon 2700+ XP (which is 2.167 ghz).

Some applications do make excellent use of the barton's additional cache however, so its important to check first.

4) You might want to look into a NON OEM cooling solution for your processor. The stock AMD heatsink is just "BARELY" sufficent. On average even a 10-20 USD investment in a retail cooling solution can drop your CPU temps over 10C idle.

Cooler cpu = greater stability and longevity.

Ice Czar
12-12-2003, 02:22 PM
RE wipe: possibly or it could be part of the education process
in another thread I gave Jb5k1 a link to Corsair's Memory Basics Presentation (http://www.corsairmicro.com/memory_basics/153707/index.html)

PS DDR is SDRAM :p

Jb5k1
12-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Thx everybody

@Greg: I thought Bartons were supposed to be faster than ordinary XP's. I mean, that much of a difference won't be that signifigant at the moment. I do take the 3d I try seriously, but not much, because I'm not interested in making high resolution renders, until I get better at modelling.

thx again!

GregHess
12-12-2003, 02:42 PM
DDR is "based" off of SDRAM.

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_guide/figure15.3.html

But its NOT SDRAM, its an EVOLUTION of SDRAM.

Do not call one the same as the other. SDRAM is commonly referred as PC66, PC100, or PC133 SDRAM.

DDR is commonly reffered to PC1600, PC2100 and such.

Calling DDR just SDRAM is confusing and misleading. Please refer to DDR and SDRAM as seperate entities...or make sure to call it DDR SDRAM.

If you recommend SDRAM to someone, it could be misunderstood as PC133.

Your not wrong or incorrect in anyway, I'm just suggesting a change of terminology to help prevent confusion.

Here are some articles to check out....

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_guide/ram_guide.part1-1.html

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_guide/ram_guide.part2-1.html

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_guide/ram_guide.part3-1.html

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/b/bandwidth-latency/bandwidth-latency-1.html

Ice Czar
12-12-2003, 03:24 PM
I typically refer to it as DRR, and have yet to have anyone be confused, however it is Double Data Rate Synchronous Dyanmic Random Access Memory

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/ram/techDDRSDRAM-c.html

I guess its a background thing
I spend most of my time in forums moderating a Hardware Enthusiasts Forum, and education is the primary focus
the proper terminology and what it actually means
is what we do. :D

while for shorthand refering to it as DDR is fine, whenever I also mention SDRAM, I expand it to DDR SDRAM vs SDRAM

GregHess
12-12-2003, 03:29 PM
You have to remember this is a Cg Artist's hardware forum. Though many individuals are highly educated in regards to computer hardware, many are not.

Calling DDR just "SDRAM" instead of DDR can lead to confusion and possible misunderstanding.

Just try and refer to PC100/133 as SDRAM...

And PC1600, 2100, 2700, etc as DDR.

Many people do tend to formulate buying opinons and system configurations based on advice given on this forum, so its very important to be clear and concise.

Mr_Smee
12-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info on the monitors. Was it packed good when you received it? Been toying with the idea on new flat screens but that might be cheap enough to hold out for a few months.

Originally posted by Joel.Hooks
You can get some nice Trinitron 21" monitors on Ebay for $200ish. I bought one from a guy called "monitormon" there and it's been great. He's always selling em.

I have that motherboard with the barton 2500+ and I really like it.

Joel.Hooks
12-12-2003, 06:17 PM
He packed it extremely well. Took 5 minutes to get it out of the box. Plus he gave a nice warranty.

Mr_Smee
12-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Man $300 for a 21 inch Sony, and a warranty. I already have a 17" Sony which had done me well for some time.

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by Joel.Hooks
He packed it extremely well. Took 5 minutes to get it out of the box. Plus he gave a nice warranty.

Valkyrien
12-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
OMG I'D NEVER DO THAT

I bought a Quadro 2 pro on eBay!

Yes, I have all the essentials already ie: cd drives, sound cards, vid cards.

well, you did post a motherboard with nForce2;) you could probably save some cash by getting one without, plus not have to deal with any civil wars that might erupt between AGP and onboard graphics;)

Jb5k1
12-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I thought nforce2 was part of the chipset, not onboard graphics

o well, i could always change my wish list around

t-man152
12-14-2003, 02:06 AM
no man the nforce 2 is the chipset and it does have integrated graphics. some don't have integrated graphics and are a bit cheaper but it's still a great chipset. I say get it with the onboard graphics. if your quadro 2 ever fails on you you will still have an integrated geforce 4 MX. Nforce 2 is extremely stable.

I curently have an MSI K7N2G wich has Nforce 2, USB2, 8X AGP, Bluetooth, and integrated 5.1 suround sound. it's great and since the Nforce Family has been so great for me since the Nforce 1 mobo wich was the first one I ever got around 2 years ago my next Mobo will probably be an Nforce 3 Mobo

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.