PDA

View Full Version : Sensor size of a GoPro 3 Black?

Dannewlands
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Sensor size of a GoPro 3 Black?

Want to do some camera tracking off it but cant find the info anywhere?

Cheers

olson
01-11-2013, 04:05 PM
It won't track like normal footage because the image is distorted from the fisheye lens. The sensor size is 1/2.5" like the rest of the HD HERO cameras.

Dannewlands
01-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info dude, do you know 100% thats the size? I cant find it anywhere and emailed gopro but no reply, because they was saying the black edition has a new sensor but doesnt say if the size has changed? Also do you know the focal length? 10mm?

And what makes you say it wont track normally? As long as i shoot a good enough distortion grid it should be fine right? I just need to know the sensor and focal length info before i can fully test it

ThE_JacO
01-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Yes, if you can find the data and shoot a proper grid and undistort correctly you can track it perfectly fine, just like you can track any other lens/filmback combo.

I had a pretty decent set for the hero2, but the 3 must have changed in too many regards, so you can't trust a single piece of (often derived) info that pertained the 2.

It's also NOT an artificial fisheye any more, it's now a super wide.

The low light response and the internal set are so much better than before, and the draw increased enough despite a more modern firmware and cpu, that I feel it's safe to assume it's actually a larger sensor.

I've been looking for the same info for a while with absolutely no luck, please post away if you can find them out.

Dannewlands
01-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Awesome man, will do, i've tried shooting a distortion grid and tracking a shot and its giving me half decent results but thats just letting it use the standard 1080/1920 film back its uses but when i have the info it should track fine.. I've emailed gopro again so hopefully i should get a response soon and let you know :-)

olson
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info dude, do you know 100% thats the size? I cant find it anywhere and emailed gopro but no reply, because they was saying the black edition has a new sensor but doesnt say if the size has changed? Also do you know the focal length? 10mm?

And what makes you say it wont track normally? As long as i shoot a good enough distortion grid it should be fine right? I just need to know the sensor and focal length info before i can fully test it

A few folks have taken the camera apart and shared the information about it. This is the sensor in the camera. It's 1/2.3" size sensor. I'm surprised to see it supports 4K video at 60 FPS, I guess the rest of components aren't able to do the same (like the H.264 encoder).

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol70/pdf/imx117cqt.pdf

More on that on the links below.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+Hero3+Teardown/12457/2
http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recentteardowns/2013/01/22/inside-the-gopro-hero-3-wearable-sports-camera/

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.