PDA

View Full Version : Safe temperatures for AMD Phenom II 1090t?

MisterS
01-11-2013, 08:41 AM
So I thought I'd give my PC some love by buying a new fan because:

a) it's bloody hot now here in Queensland
b) my computer's fan was gettting on my nerves

I never really paid any attention to the temperature before - but there were two speed settings on the stock fan and lately it was favouring the faster.

So I bought a decent heatsink and fan, and the CPU is running around 40-45 degrees (approx 10-15 degrees above room temperature) during general tasks.

But maxing out the 6 cores at100% pushes temps into late 50s. Does that sound about right? Or do I need to reconfigure something? I did a search on google, and people on games forums were suggesting it shouldn't go over 50...

ThE_JacO
01-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Gaming forums tend to be overpopulated with overly hardware enthusiastic, number fetish people.
AMD declares 62C as safe ceiling, which means for (very) prolonged run times. Spikes of up to 70 are ok as long as not protracted for hours at an end.

If you sit anywhere in the low or even high 50s you are perfectly fine even for days of uninterrupted operation.

olson
01-11-2013, 03:29 PM
But maxing out the 6 cores at100% pushes temps into late 50s. Does that sound about right?

Yes, that sounds about right. Most chip manufacturers say to keep the processor under 80 to 90 degrees Celsius (depending on the manufacturer) so somewhere in the 50's is just fine.

CKPinson
01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
With the intels when either OC'ing or using Turbo I run RealTemp and Prime to see how hot it's getting maxed out since rendering basically does that. I try to keep basic running temps in the 50s and maxed under 70. Over 70 will shorten the life of your CPU from what I understand. (granted spikes won't be an issue as long as they aren't completely absurd).

Thermal paste solutions and a nice after market Heat Seek n fan will add a bit of headroom, at least did for me.

tswalk
01-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Also note, that you need to check the thermal specs from the manufacturer for baseline accuracy.

For example, on most Intel processors, the sensor is not accurate below 50C, so the reading is may be off +/- 10C... they will also provide variance and max temps in specification documents.

Idle temps are not a good measure of "goodness", unless they are over that baseline temperature of 50C and continue to rise at idle or shutdown.

To get a real impression of thermal transfer, you need to stress-test it with what was mentioned by CK... I used Prime95 on my i7-3930k. At idle, it would be about 45C (which I thought was high a bit, but ambient temps here are around 20-23C in the winter). On stress, it only got too 55C, which is damn good IMO. so ya, check the specs and see.

anyway, ambient temps have a big impact on general baseline measurements.

AJ1
01-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Hey man,

I never let mine get over 55c. Apparently the temps from HWmonitor are around 10-15c low. I usualy run it at 4.1 for Cinema, and 3.5 for Mental Ray and Vray. I've got that Corsair enclosed water cooler with one fan on each side of a radiator. I think its the H50.

I wouldn't worry about Prime95 to much, and just focus on the temps when you run your applications. Mental Ray seems to run a lot cooler than Prime, and the Cinema renderer runs even cooler.

-AJ

ThE_JacO
01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Yes, that sounds about right. Most chip manufacturers say to keep the processor under 80 to 90 degrees Celsius (depending on the manufacturer) so somewhere in the 50's is just fine.
Might be worth noting that for the PhII AMD themselves actually recommends the low 60s as a safe ceiling, but that includes the measurement offset and should include the relatively remote, and therefore low reading, probe.

Any and either way up to 60 a the die reported by the CPU, however off, in a well ventilated case is perfectly fine. When it comes to hardware gaming and most OC forums should be given wide berth by anybody who doesn't want to go insane or doesn't intend to become overly enthusiastic himself :)

Staying below 50 in Queensland duing summer with air cooling only, short of deafening yourself, would not only be pointless, but rather hard.

MisterS
01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Cool well you've all put my mind at ease, thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.