PDA

View Full Version : still: "Abandoned"

zandar
12-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Very basic scene that started off as an excerise in texturing and sharpening my skills with vray materials, but turned into something I thought looked pretty decent.

Thanks for lookin.

http://216.15.161.77/users/zandar/Abandoned_complete.jpg

EdHarriss
12-10-2003, 05:35 PM
I like it!
The tires seem a little smooth though, but then again that trike looks like it's been ridden many, many times. So maybe the tread is just really worn. I like the ground too. It looks like a solid concrete w/gravel driveway.

ik-vlieg
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
I like it bigtime!!! :thumbsup:

Only thing i can say is that the front tire indeed looks a little smooth/too good. Maybe you can do something with that...

Very good work man!

Jocke
12-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Absolutely a wery nice job, it look almost real, I dont think that I can find anything to comment on actually:thumbsup: Very good job

gorgon
12-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Amazing use of materials. The only thing I would suggest would be more contextual information. The trike is kind of floating in a non descript environment, which ordinarily would not be a big deal, but your subject matter tells such a story that the environment begs the same treatment. Great work on everything else!

ik-vlieg
12-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Really good work man! :thumbsup:, it indeed is almost real :)

robin
Drools ! ... :surprised

Excelent textures

zandar
Originally posted by EdHarriss
I like it!
The tires seem a little smooth though, but then again that trike looks like it's been ridden many, many times. So maybe the tread is just really worn. I like the ground too. It looks like a solid concrete w/gravel driveway.

Hi. Thanks for the response. Yeah, I thought about adding either some displacement mapping or increased bump to the tires, but then the treads seemed a bit too new. I wanted them almost "bald". hehe. Good observation. :cool:

Side_FX
12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
:applause:
Brilliant Textures!!
CRT:

The only thing that looks a lil outta place to me is the tear on the seat look a little to sharp. Other wise Amazeing work!

worx3d
12-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Amazing, it is photoreal to me. i agree with gorgon, the environment needs to tell a little more of the story. The textures are excellent.. great work!:applause:

wgreenlee1
12-10-2003, 05:55 PM
What?no DOF to ruin it?(j/k)

looks great,no crits from me:thumbsup:

netleader
12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
i saw this in the vray board yesterday also .. great work :)

otacon
12-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Very nice texturing!:thumbsup: One crit is that the gravel looks too big and too far apart, or it could use some very little rocks in between all the big ones. That sure would hut to wreck on that gravel. And correct me if im wrong, but i dont think that is a tear in the seat like Side_FX said, it looks to me like tape.

Garma
12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
I don't like the gravel either but that's about it. Very good job on the tires and the metal.

:thumbsup:

Tellerve
12-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Wow, I never had such a sweet 3x3 rough and ready tricycle as that! Mine wouldn't have been so trail worth. Great job, although I also am not a huge fan of the concrete/gravel. Also, something about the seat doesn't look right to me.

Tellerve

smellovision
12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Very nice, I sent you a private message!!!!

Coop.

Gnome
12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Very nice! The rear stand looks totally real, and only a few minor things betray that. In terms of specific suggestions for improvements:

1) The highlighted rubber handle grip really draws the eye towards it because of the very sharp appearance and having blacks that are too black for the scene. You can adjust them in post with photoshop, or toss some more ambient lights or GI to flesh them out. With such a well loved trike I would think those pointy bits would be far more worn down in the centre

2)The handle bars are very shiny with a polished chrome look to them, but have slices as if someone took a knife to it. Given the amount of wear and tear, I would suggest dulling that sheen and taking a flake or two out (something subtle) around a good scratch or two.

3) The seat appears a little flat texture-wise in comparison to the rest of the trike. I remember seats like that getting a bit shiny where your butt had been sitting and rubbing for a long time. If shiny doesn't look right for the cheeks, then flip it around and put a gloss hit on the rest of the seat and have the bum worn down and dulled.

Really nicely done!

dotbomb
12-10-2003, 06:45 PM
That looks incredible. I agree with what people are saying about the seat. I remember those seats would tear like that, but the black cover material would pull up around the edges of the tear and that light colored material underneath would fray in to little strands and be very dull.

I hope that makes sense.

I like the ground...I just wouldn't want to fall off of my trike onto it.

gigatron
12-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Well to be honest, I dislike the very shots that you zoomed in on :)

The bike dirt scratches are unreal looks like broken glass or something.

The handle is so uniform, it's same all over and too sharp doesn't feel 'fuzzy' like rubber, the dirt spots are kind of thrown on. doesn't feel like settled dust or dry dirt splatter at all.

The metal chrome .. lose the scratches :( again like broken glass.

The darker diffused like look though reminds me of rust and forged/cast metal of sort... sort of..

The tyre wheel is very very cartoony too flat. Should use a normal map.

The hanging dirty gold stripes or whatever, just lose them :).

Overall it's just those anoying scratches that .. ruin it for me :(

The ground is frickin phenomenal! Yowza.

The lightning is quite realistic overall

How about a detail shot of the pedals, those look interesting even though unfinished o_O. The orange refraction part would be a cool thing to do and it looks like you achieved it maybe i dunno, can't quite see.

The diffuse stuff on wheels, rusty stuff.. that should work well. Especially on the bottom right thumb, the rust n wheels.. holy crap thats good.

ckpew99
12-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Looks really good.
My eye seems to be drawn to the uper right area by the left handle bar, the depth of field seems to have to much of a stronger contrast between what is in focus and what is not. But thats just being really picky. I think it looks great:applause:

jadedchron
12-10-2003, 07:16 PM
I actually disagree with alot that gigatron said. I think this is one of the most realistic things I've seen on here. I can easily see a banged up bike like this on the street.

michaelb
12-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi,
I just thought I'd throw in a comment or two. This is very nice work, and shows off your skills well. There are a few things that catch my eye. The first is that the color and shading of the tear in the seat almost match the background gravel. On my first look I had the impression the whole seat was missing in that section, and I was looking straight through that portion to the background. You might want to change that. Another thing is that the background gravel seems a bit too shiny. In some places it even seemed metallic. I think I would try to dull that down some more. And lastly, I think (and it's just my personal opinion) the ambient lighting is just a tad too blue. Overall though, it is very impressive.

Best regards,
Michael B.

robin
12-10-2003, 07:46 PM
gigatron can certainly do better.

oxyg3n
12-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Sweet looking tricycle. The specularity on the front tire makes it look like hard plastic.

gigatron
12-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Sheesh don't attack me I'm just being honest :/

Seriously the most anoying thing is the flat wheel sure.. but those scratches look like cracked glass, strokes :/

Criticism is hated or something o_O;

recon
12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by robin

One thing I partially agree with from Gigatron is the scratches... but I woudn't say "lose them"....
I think the effect is certainly good (maybe back it off a bit), but rather the placement of the scratches is what bothers me... its a bit too organized if that makes sense. Some of the scratches seem to stop too abrubtly, when in fact they should probably continue to the edge of the metal parts. And the area in front of where the pole meets the footstep is somewhat "protected", meaning that there would be less damage there, rather than the relativly uniform damage that appears across the length of the step. That kind of thinking, when applied to texturing, would really help. Maybe even some actual deformed geometry dents...

Also, it may be the angle of the pedals, but they appear to be very close to the center of the wheel... that would be quite a chore to drive, if that is the case.

Great looking picture!

Windmill
12-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Wow.. amazing work. it looks so real. only thing that bugs me are those scratches. I think they are a bit too deliberate and artificial looking. I think the scratches should occur in groups of small scractches (when it scratches past surfaces) rather than individual big ones at diff angles (as if someone had used it to fight a samurai battle). Also they should not end so abruptly towards the ends of the scratches.

visualboo
12-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by robin
Whether he can or can't is completely irrelevant. You don’t have to be a pro to point out things that look out of place or “fake”. You can have a good eye for detail and know what looks good but not necessarily be able to create something yourself of that level for one reason or another.

Awesome trike btw.

Neil
12-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
What?no DOF to ruin it?(j/k)

looks great,no crits from me:thumbsup:

Look at the gravel in the back again. But atleast he kept it off of the bike :)

This is very nice, and i'm glad to see that it went from just an exercise to a finished piece.

arvid
12-10-2003, 10:13 PM
I think the patches of duck tape should be at least twice as wide, that helps set the scale of the scene, however the ground does an excellent job with that as well, and it looks stunning! A displaced photo or is something more going on here?

Cararan
12-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Nice Detail.

zandar
12-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by otacon
Very nice texturing!:thumbsup: One crit is that the gravel looks too big and too far apart, or it could use some very little rocks in between all the big ones. That sure would hut to wreck on that gravel. And correct me if im wrong, but i dont think that is a tear in the seat like Side_FX said, it looks to me like tape.

You're correct. That's actually two scanned pieces of duct tape composited with an opacity map on the seat texture.

zandar
12-10-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by opacity
I think the patches of duck tape should be at least twice as wide, that helps set the scale of the scene, however the ground does an excellent job with that as well, and it looks stunning! A displaced photo or is something more going on here?

Yeah, the ground is nothing more than a single-segment plane (one poly) with texture map and custom displacement map. I used Vray displacement for the ground. Some said it looks a little to high or shiny in spots, but I didn't adjust anything on the maps or displacement settings after the first render because I was satisfied with how the detail came out being such a simple object.

clot
12-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Very nice work. I really like it. This would make a great focal-point for a moody scene of childhood days gone by. You know what I mean? The bittersweet part of growing up into adulthood and leaving behind the old toys, neighbourhood, etc. Maybe a grainier image in black and white. Either way, great work!

digital_rhino
12-10-2003, 11:56 PM
I wish I could texture....beautiful work:bounce:

robin
12-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Visualboo wrote:

You don’t have to be a pro to point out things that look out of place or “fake”. You can have a good eye for detail and know what looks good but not necessarily be able to create something yourself of that level for one reason or another.

True, true

natrule
12-11-2003, 12:43 AM
If your going for realism all the metal sections of the bike look great. It's only rubbery bits (seat, tyres & handle bars) that let the model down.

otherwise great job!!

lebada
12-11-2003, 01:09 AM
just me, but the ground..up front(down in the picture) seems too smooth.

u should try to make it more jagged-edged(but not too much).

good work.

Peteleebe
12-11-2003, 01:15 AM
looks like real picture, very nice!:wip:

ZONKS
12-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Very nice!

What I like most is the quality of light in the scene. It's like _right_ before dusk in the late summer, at least to me. It's somewhat rare to have a nice emotive quality to CG lighting. I think you should use that, if you agree with me, to perhaps make this into a more complete scene.

I don't think it really needs more elements, other than some more irregularity in the ground texture and maybe something else that doesn't add to the subject. What it would need to become a "scene", in my opinion, is a good camera angle and very minimal DOF and perhaps some compositing work (nothing particular in mind here). It could be a great neo-realist CG piece ;) .

phoenix
12-11-2003, 02:58 AM
impressive... i love the texture details

Evenflow
12-11-2003, 06:02 AM
I agree with Piglet, the rubber parts need work. Maybe give it a subtle specularity map.

olijosman
12-11-2003, 06:21 AM
a really good work!! great sensation of reality!!:applause:

Vorhaut
12-11-2003, 06:49 AM
Good image, good idea, and good Textures ! uo !!!!! you are a good texture man ! :D :bowdown:

CoolCalb
12-11-2003, 09:30 AM
beautiful!!!

photoreal in my opnion..

nothing else to say, but great job man!

Ed Bittner
12-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Actually, I think the rubber textures are spot on. They have that-spent their entire life outdoors-got soaked-then dried-then cracked- then lost their sheen- about ready for the junkyard because it could be getting dangerous soon look.........to me.
Ed

ChrisNoeth
12-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Is it possible to render such a nice pic with the free version of VRAY? Where are the limits of the free version?

- Chris

ik-vlieg
12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
One word: great! :thumbsup:

Wonderer
12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
Very nice!:thumbsup:

unwrap
12-11-2003, 04:29 PM
I didn't expect to see this work here at CGTalk, but I still vote, cuz this looks gr8!:thumbsup: :applause:

HapZungLam
12-11-2003, 05:36 PM
i haven't read all the replies, but truely nice my friend.

especailly the ground : P i dont' knwo why i like the ground so much. but it rocks!!!

okay, here is my suggesion for the bike. The durt (those muddy footprints) they should bumping up instead of down.

Maya_Fanatic
12-11-2003, 06:13 PM
your texture detail is veryyy nicee... and so is the lighting... ;) cool work dude... why don't u discuss a lil how to???? you could explain a lil lightenin / render settings here... and i believe that will help alot of ppl here :)
thumbz up dude... ;)
:thumbsup:

jtk77
12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Nice, I like how the tires in the back are worn down, but I think the white on the front tire is a little much. Great job though0, however I'd love to see it in an envirment that you took as much care with detail as you did the trike. The drive way is a little too repeditive for me, I'd add some little details to mix it up, nothing major.

zandar
12-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
i haven't read all the replies, but truely nice my friend.

especailly the ground : P i dont' knwo why i like the ground so much. but it rocks!!!

okay, here is my suggesion for the bike. The durt (those muddy footprints) they should bumping up instead of down.

Thanks. Well, the lighting is really simple. I was looking to capture a feeling of a cloudy sky at or around dusk, so I just used a custom HDRI from a Dreamscape scene I made using Vray's spherical cam at 360 degrees radius, and tweeked in HDRI shop. As I mentioned, this just started out as a mateial and texturing exercise for myself, so I didn't really have a scene plan other than making a really dirty, beat up tricycle. During the texturing it started taking on some meaning for me personally, so I put a little more effort into that.

As mentioned previous, the ground texture was a simple single-segment plane with vray displacement. I was happy with the result right "out of the box". Some like it, some don't I guess.

Anyway, some render settings I used in Vray are:

Original render size was: 1600x1200
Image sampler: Fixed rate, subdivs set to 4, no random.
Irradiance map was set to min -3/max 0, and direct comp on secondary bounces.
On the QMC Sampler, I set the Adaptation by sample value amount to 0.5 to try and speed things up a bit.
I used the Mitchell-Netravali antialiasing, and the rest is just default.

I forget exact render times, but it did take a while. I'm used to vray pumping out test renders for me in under 5 min. I fell asleep during the final render of this one. :)

facial
12-12-2003, 04:09 AM
Really nice work, nice texture here. I love it.
Keep post up more. :thumbsup:

shyy
12-12-2003, 06:17 AM
nicely textured

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.