PDA

View Full Version : transfer to sva computer art from community college?

MVUniverse
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
hey guys i was wondering, is it possible to transfer from community college to sva computer art and come as a sophomore/junior student? has anyone done this before? going to art school is quite expensive so i thought that i attend community college first and then transfer to 4-year university to get my bachelor degree, that way it would save me alot of money. i want to major in animation (3d animation, more to visual effects) and plan to go to santa monica college (because it has academy of entertainment technology department that i thought would give more lesson to animation/visual effects field in a cheap way). but even if i go there and get my associates degree is it possible to continue my study 2 more years in 4-year university? i mean when i graduate from college i don't want to start all over again as freshman when i transfer to 4-year university, that would waste my time and money i spent on com college. beside sva, i also consider aau and scad. i really need some advice/suggestion guys, thanks :)

taxguy
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi MVUniverse, my daughter is in the SVA Computer Art grad program and thinks it is top notch. This is her second semester, and she only had one professor that she complained about. All the other professors and courses were top notch! I think you will REALLY like the program.

First, be aware that it is a tough program. It is truly a combination of art and computers.
Second, yes you can transfer and probably come in as a sophomore or close to it. However, you may have to take some courses that you didn't have in community college. That is the problem. No one can tell you about what you will need to take or your status. You will need to call admissions for a definitive answer. If I were you, I would try to transfer after your first year and NOT do a second year in the CC. Art courses don't usually transfer well unlike that of liberal arts courses. Make sure you take your gen eds and art history and basic foundation courses in art and design.

MVUniverse
01-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Hi MVUniverse, my daughter is in the SVA Computer Art grad program and thinks it is top notch. This is her second semester, and she only had one professor that she complained about. All the other professors and courses were top notch! I think you will REALLY like the program.

First, be aware that it is a tough program. It is truly a combination of art and computers.
Second, yes you can transfer and probably come in as a sophomore or close to it. However, you may have to take some courses that you didn't have in community college. That is the problem. No one can tell you about what you will need to take or your status. You will need to call admissions for a definitive answer. If I were you, I would try to transfer after your first year and NOT do a second year in the CC. Art courses don't usually transfer well unlike that of liberal arts courses. Make sure you take your gen eds and art history and basic foundation courses in art and design.
hi taxguy thanks for your response! how was your daughter thinks about the student's life in there? i've never been to NYC and visited the school before, and my biggest concern about going to SVA is the high living cost. is it really high just like people are talking about?

Kayzer
01-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Why wouldn't it be?
It's Manhattan..

taxguy
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
MVUniverse asks,"
hi taxguy thanks for your response! how was your daughter thinks about the student's life in there? i've never been to NYC and visited the school before, and my biggest concern about going to SVA is the high living cost. is it really high just like people are talking about?"

Response: I will deal with the latter question first. as noted above, you are in Manhattan. My daughter was paying $1,600 a month for the rental of one room as part of a three bedroom apartment that has a living room and kitchen plus utilities! You can get a place a bit cheaper in Brooklyn. You can also live in a dorm for about $1,200 a month,but the dorms are very crappy.
Surprisingly, other expenses in Manhattan are reasonable. For example, you can find pizza by the slice for $1. You don't need a car and can save on gas, maintenance and insurance. You can get a monthly metro pass that will take you anywhere in Manhattan very reasonably.

As for student life, If you stay in a dorm , you will meet people. Manhattan can be a great place to meet people since there are a LOT of young people living there. It can also be a very lonely place depending on your personality. Unless you attend a large school with a campus, what I said about student life applies to any school.

Although I don't think that there is a better city in the US for a student in Manhattan due to all the wonderful activities going on and all the great shops and restaurant. HOWEVER,to do well in Manhattan, you need to be a mature kid who is willing to get out and meet people. There are PLENTY of things to do, see and eat. You will never get bored. However, NY tends to be a bit impersonal and has a cold atmosphere among the people.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.