PDA

View Full Version : New model of Cintiq alternative looks promising?

og_reborn
01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Apologies if this is already posted... Anyone used one of these second-generation models yet? Looks very promising.

I wished that someone could pair the underlying, fantastic UC Logic digitizer tech with a tablet monitor enclosure. I even bought some hardware to try and make my own. But now I don’t have to. Yiynova must have been listening. The MSP19U is a second generation product that jettisons the inferior Waltop digitizers of the first model and replaces them with UC Logic internals.

Does the pairing live up to the sum potential of its disparate parts? Can a relatively unknown $569 tablet monitor compete with a $1999 Wacom Cintiq? Yes, it competes. It even bests the Cintiq in a few key areas. But I’m jumping ahead.

Full review here (http://tmblr.co/ZK1Ybya2J3qT)

LuckyBug
01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm hoping that this will work, not just because of the price but because wacom deserves some competition on the market.

Artbot
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Wow, just $500 on buy.com. Would love to see more feedback on this unit here.

tswalk
01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
the stand looks about as usless as the Wacom ones...

SheepFactory
01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm hoping that this will work, not just because of the price but because wacom deserves some competition on the market.

Exactly. There is no reason for Cintiq to be so grossly overpriced other than wacom taking advantage of customers due to there being no competition.

evolucian
01-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Exactly. There is no reason for Cintiq to be so grossly overpriced other than wacom taking advantage of customers due to there being no competition.

you'd probably see cintiqs selling at $800 if the market was as saturated as TVs and cells, but its not gonna happen anytime soon.

balistic
01-08-2013, 12:59 AM
To be fair to Wacom, the IPS panel in a Cintiq probably spanks the (what sounds like a) TN panel in this cheap tablet, but even so ... this sounds like the first real competition Wacom has faced in the 13 years I've been using tablets.

I'm sorely tempted to try out the 9x12" screenless Monoprice tablet built on the same digitizer, because at $80, why the hell not?

And the fact that replacement pens are $8 instead of $60 ... man ... 52$ buys a lot of AA batteries :)

SheepFactory
01-08-2013, 01:08 AM
Here are a ton of youtube videos showing it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Yiynova+MSP19U&oq=Yiynova+MSP19U&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.1661.1661.0.2973.1.1.0.0.0.0.33.33.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.DH_9t9ZjZZw

Having owned a Cintiq 21" in the past I see no difference whatsoever between this and the cintiq as far as usability goes. Definitely getting one of these sometime this year.

r0b3030
01-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanx for the info here, I'm MUCHO interested in this development.
And like everyone else, i have to agree:

Wacom seems to have been sitting in a cozy, lazy position over the years;

I'm probly an old geezer compared to most of u here--was using Wacom tablets/pens as far back as early/mid 90s.
It's felt as if Wacom has had an attitude of
slightly *pushing* artists toward upgrades a bit too often.

Like the comment above: "..the fact that replacement pens are $8 instead of $60"--
I think that makes it clear..

Also, I've had the experience of dealing w/ a Wacom rep who was otherwise very helpful & sincere,

yet gave me a bit too much of the "suggest you upgrade to the new tablet__[fill in the blank w/ the model name/number]"
--even though my current tablet was only a year or 2 old.

As if digital artists, typically struggling to make a living while dealing w/ constant software & hardware costs/upgrades,,
outta be jazz'd about even MORE MERRY-Go-Grounds with hardware.

meh.

I don't want to paint them as a bad company, however it's clear that every serious digital artist & studio & post-production house
on the planet owns some amount of Wacom hardware.
they just don't have an excuse for hefty pricing as if it's still 1990's R&D budgets.

And they *must* read forums like these--so what the heck are they thinking??

I recall being excited by the wacom pen that was included with the google tablet a few months ago,

so perhaps jumping into the google-sphere will get wacom to think differently but who knows.

Like everyone here, i'm happy to see this new hardware & that may be the only thing that helps Wacom's bean-counters realize
that they don't own the CG market anymore.

darthviper107
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM
It's an issue, I don't know if there's a solution. Wacom owns the patent for their pen technology and that's really where the issue lies, this tablet uses something else (the pen has a battery).

Wacom doesn't have any competition which is why they are so expensive. Plus that's also why they don't innovate much. Take for instance the 12" Cintiq, which came out many years ago yet it's still part of their product line (at the same cost as when it originally came out) and it wasn't considered all that great when it came out in the first place.

I wonder though, if some unknown company like this can produce something at this level why can't some other company like Samsung or 3M do even better? Is this tablet getting around the Wacom patent or are they just not well known enough for Wacom to care?

EricM
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Speaking of which I received this also :
http://www.pen-touch.com/kingtee_14wa.html

2nd generation of Bosco Kingtee, with pretty good specs and lots of configurable buttons.

paintbox
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
The reason larger companies don't jump on this market is that it is probably such a small segment that isn't interesting for them. It is for a small and agile electronics company, it's even more interesting for them if you can steal some thunder (and money) from the overpriced monopolist.

paintbox
01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
The reason I am being cautious is that there have been a lot of competitors in the past, like Genius and tons of other brands, but they all delivered sub-standard or unusable products. But this does look good and I am happy there is serious competition building!

CKPinson
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Crayola ColorStudio HD - iMarker Digital Stylus + App for iPad

LOL

http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-11111818reg.jpg

http://ces.cnet.com/2300-34441_1-10015237-14.html

AangtheAvatar
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I want a Yiynova. They also have a cheaper 10.5 inch version for 299.
It is about time cintiq had competition. Touch technology is old and there is no real reason why the cintiq should cost so much. Yeah I know it is like a Mercedes in performance but my Kia Optima looks like a Mercedes and can get me to the same place at the same amount of time and I don't have to pay that premium price. Same should be true of tablets. I'm glad the monopoly is over. I wonder how wacom feels about it. You know I have never heard them reply about the expense complaint.

CKPinson
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Yiynova has different versions of digitizers (as pointed out by reviewer in link) too so be wary! The old one is complete crap compared to the newer one according to reviewer. I like the fact that my Wacom doesn't have a battery in the digitizer but there is a reason I still use an Intuos 3 and don't yet own the Cintiq (which I am saving for).

mecos
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM
that looks promising. i might actually jump on that. maybe they can get me one at work.

i've only used wacom intuos tablets and i agree they do need the competition. i hope this takes off.

DePaint
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
The Yiynova unit looks great for such a low price.

I have written to my favorite technology retailer in Istanbul, and suggested that they start stocking the 19" model. :thumbsup:

MrPositive
01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
This would be huge for our industry and especially students! The cintiq's are so grossly overpriced with their monopoly. I hope to see some reviews from cgtalk members as soon as possible. :)

roofoo
01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I got one of these over the holiday break, I really like it a lot. Installation was a pain since I had Wacom drivers already installed. Once those were out of the way it worked great, the pressure sensitivity is just as good as my Intuos4, in my opinion. I wish there were hot buttons on the side but frankly I'm not willing to pay a $1500 premium for that feature. Also the viewing angle is not that great, but manageable. I hope they come out with an IPS version of this, it would be awesome! Also note that the pen does NOT have tilt recognition, so you'll lose those features in programs like Painter, which is a bummer.

derOesi
01-10-2013, 10:32 AM
its about time wacom gets some competition... i have quite a collection of wacoms here, and i`m sick to the bone that every wacom just works with its own version of pen (cintiq12ux pen doesnt work on intuos2 nor with the intuos5 or viseversa.... ):banghead:

patfour
01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Installation was a pain since I had Wacom drivers already installed. Once those were out of the way it worked great...
That was my deal-breaker when I tried a Yiynova DP10HD (http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-DP10HD-Digitizer-Display-Windows/dp/B008EYA9EG), whose price and portability made it more appealing for work on-the-go than Wacom's 12WX. Unfortunately the driver conflict makes Yiynova products non-viable for me as long as I'm connecting my laptop to a Cintiq at the office.

A couple other products I'm keeping my eye on:

Cregle's iPen 2 for iMac & iPad (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ipen/ipen-2-for-ipad-imac-and-more) (though there are a number of reasons to be skeptical)
Samsung's 4K 20" Tablet Prototype (http://www.slashgear.com/panasonic-20-inch-4k-windows-8-tablet-hands-on-08264157/) (it'd be great for this to sell with a less-bulky stylus, and at a price not too much higher than all-in-one PCs)

CKPinson
01-10-2013, 03:27 PM
The problem with a dedicated tablet for this is the lack of power. Someone should design a connector to enable you to use your Desktop power for the processing and the tablet solely as a cintiq alt.

DePaint
01-10-2013, 03:39 PM
I wrote to my favorite online retailer about the Yiynova 19".

They said they will consider adding it to their products list, so hopefully I'll be able to buy one online here in Turkey in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads-up about this!

I nearly bought a Cintiq for big money, when I found out about this great alternative.

I'll be getting the Yiynova 19" instead of a Cintiq 22" now...

mustique
01-10-2013, 04:04 PM
I'd like to have that on one of the PC tablets for creativity on the go.
something along this http://gizmodo.com/5974219/panasonic-4k-tablet-hands+on-unbelievable-tiny-details-make-windows-8-lag-like-hell

Dillster
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
I want a Yiynova. They also have a cheaper 10.5 inch version for 299.

I have the 2nd generation 1366 pixel model. Got it for Christmas and I love it. Will post a review when I have a bit of time.

Gingerhammer
01-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Is it feasible to add pressure (and tilt) sensitivity tech to tablet pc's? I think the ideal 'cintiq' would be a tablet pc that connects to a desktop in 'dumb' mode or even compounds the computing power. A quick hot-plug disconnect to wander off else-where with your 24" digital sketch pad would be so liberating.

Surely, faced with the yiynova, and the probable not-too-distant release of tablets sporting 4k resolution screens, Wacom will have to drop the price of Cintiq's?

I've been fancying one of the new Cintiq's. Very attractive product - but I just felt they are too over-priced. I hate being trickle-fed technology and so have coped with an Intuos2 for years, however pretty the newer models looked! (I only upgraded from my old Intuos1 because it was no longer supported by my OS.) It does seem rediculous to still be using tablet technology from the 80's? Looking at an image that's set away from where your hand is drawing - and even more rediculous that we've been paying such a hefty price for the privilege.

Why buy an Intuos when you can buy Yiynova now?

The quality of the Yiynova screen puts me off though. I'll probably wait it out and see what happens in the next year. I'll just have to stop looking at Cintiq videos on youtube.

jake rupert
01-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Also this product is very interesting news to me,
Also from a better known player and since it has licensed wacom technology,
Wacom doesn't seem to fear the competition...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/thinkvision-lt1423-adds-a-wireless-touch-screen-to-your-laptop

mecos
01-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Thats pretty cool. Kinda like the wii u. It is exactly what i need to draw from the couch. Too bad it has lag and it doesnt seem to have mac support

CKPinson
01-12-2013, 06:14 PM
This is more like it BUT WIN 8 SUCKS and the pressure is prob the same as with most Lenovo screens and no where near the Intuos 4/5. Wacom needs to take note but their prob is they wouldn't price it around 500- it'd be like 5,000 LMAO- I guess with WIN7 you'd have to extend to this screen and use PS or whatever full screen on it alone. the interface with 7 and touch is jacked.

patfour
01-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Also this product is very interesting news to me,
Also from a better known player and since it has licensed wacom technology,
Wacom doesn't seem to fear the competition...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/thinkvision-lt1423-adds-a-wireless-touch-screen-to-your-laptop

Hot damn! Thanks for posting this--if it's compatible with Win7 (I searched Google for more details, but couldn't find any), that looks like exactly the kind of device I've been waiting for. It's about what I imagined Wacom would release as a 12WX successor... kind of shocking to see it priced at $350 instead of $1,000.

As for pressure sensitivity, for my workflow I feel like 1024 levels is overkill, and 2048 even more so. In Photoshop I use pressure to control my brush's:

opacity, which only has discrete levels 0-100,
and size, which I never need to fluidly vary from 1 pixel to thousands
So I don't get the need for that many levels of detection. Maybe I'm oblivious to other techniques that call for higher pressure sensitivity, but my cynical side sees it as a marketing ploy.

If I buy a ThinkVision LT1423, it'll be interesting to work with its 256 levels after the Cintiq's 2048; maybe I'll be eating my words.

(Edit: I keep getting weird spacing issues)

CKPinson
01-13-2013, 04:11 AM
I don't know if it's a mind thing or what but I notice a smoother rendered line with more pressure levels- I use the Intuos 3 and have (briefly) used my peer's 5 and it seems to be a smoother draw- could be other factors, workstation, hardware of the 5? Dunno, but the detail of the line (as silly as that may sound) just seems so much smoother? If that makes any dam sense LOL. Smooth enuff that I am considering an upgrade if nothing else tickles my fancy LOL. anyways, just my observation- note: most of my painting is free hand- have just started using illustrator for line control.

CKPinson
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
the LT1423p does sound promising for the price. Lightweight and wifi- so in theory you could have your laptop aside and draw on it pulling power from your PC/laptop

Only downside so far is that it's only 256 pressure.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/lenovo-thinkvision-lt1423p-mobile-monitor/

teruchan
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I probably shouldn't talk since I did a lot of demoing for Wacom and got plenty of free stuff from them, but after I got my Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note, I haven't looked back to anything else for my drawing rig. It is the best thing that ever happened to me and my work.

CKPinson
01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
But how does it work with a photoshop pipeline? inother words- is it logical to concept/sketch on it then pull it to your beefier machine for finals? It has a version of Photoshop on it? But then you are still having to have a solution for the PC/laptop.

CKPinson
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Came across this CES article at CNET about touchscreen art digital devices.
http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10015444.html

Emmanuel
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
I probably shouldn't talk since I did a lot of demoing for Wacom and got plenty of free stuff from them, but after I got my Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note, I haven't looked back to anything else for my drawing rig. It is the best thing that ever happened to me and my work.

Terrence, is it better than the Motion LE1700 ? I bought one (used) , and its ok, but You sound very happy with the Note...

teruchan
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
But how does it work with a photoshop pipeline? inother words- is it logical to concept/sketch on it then pull it to your beefier machine for finals? It has a version of Photoshop on it? But then you are still having to have a solution for the PC/laptop.

I know it has some kind of Photoshop, since this is an Android tablet, but I don't like or use Photoshop, so I couldn't say. I use TVPaint and I don't have a need for doing rough sketch on the tablet and then transfer to computer or laptop to finish. I do everything, all the way to final on it. This animation test (http://www.studioartfx.com/Media/Blood/Blood.html) was done entirely on the tablet (not including sound) as was this little test clip. (http://www.studioartfx.com/Media/Paragon/Paragon001/Paragon001.html) I can work in HD and pretty much make whatever cartoon I desire all on the tablet.

Terrence, is it better than the Motion LE1700 ? I bought one (used) , and its ok, but You sound very happy with the Note...

Well, I had the Motion LE1600 and I would say it is leagues beyond it. The drawing experience is similar, since you get to draw directly on the screen, but the addition of touch and having a 3G sim card, meaning internet access at all time, anywhere (though I mostly use WIFI actually) cannot be overstated. This tablet is also faster than I remember the LE1600, which had some lag here and there. I sold my LE 1600 years ago and soon regretted it. Now I am very happy. The new tablets are lighter, faster, much more mobile, and this is actually a phone too!

ambient-whisper
01-16-2013, 05:41 AM
Anyone seen this before?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ipen/ipen-2-for-ipad-imac-and-more?ref=home_popular

Its cheap way to get a cintiq, no special screen required, only pen and connectors. would be nice to get it working on a pc..

I wonder what the performance is like ( pen lag )

mmoir
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
It says the Ipen works on win 7 in one of the videos.

paintbox
01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Wow...if that Ipen delivers (similar speed and accuracy) that would be super!

darthviper107
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
The iPen looks good but only works on those specific Apple displays, it requires a completely flat surface because it has sensors that go on the corners of the screen that triangulate the position of the pen, a typical monitor with a frame wouldn't work since the sensors and the pen wouldn't be on the same plane.

CKPinson
01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Sounds problematic to calibration etc.

DePaint
01-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Anyone seen this before?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ipen/ipen-2-for-ipad-imac-and-more?ref=home_popular

Its a really neat idea, but their Kickstarter seems off to a very slow start... Looks like they need to publicize the idea more. A lot more!

I myself am waiting for the Yiynova 19" unit to be stocked by a local retailer.

I've written to 2 retailers and asked them to import the 19" unit...

Hopefully it will be available to buy here in a few weeks. :cool:

ambient-whisper
01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
The iPen looks good but only works on those specific Apple displays, it requires a completely flat surface because it has sensors that go on the corners of the screen that triangulate the position of the pen, a typical monitor with a frame wouldn't work since the sensors and the pen wouldn't be on the same plane.

that's why they make drivers for;) on any tablet pc you have calibration tools as well.
perhaps they could have presets for the device for popular monitors. its not too far fetched.

darthviper107
01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
that's why they make drivers for;) on any tablet pc you have calibration tools as well.
perhaps they could have presets for the device for popular monitors. its not too far fetched.

I would think it should work on any display that is completely flat, so most tablet PC's should work. It's possible at the moment that it's specifically engineered for the Apple displays, but I don't see why they couldn't have a calibration tool for other displays where you would touch the pen to points on the screen and it would adjust its settings. And again, that'd only work if the entire screen is flat since the sensors clip onto the corners.

StijnVanDoorselaere
01-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Well I gave it a go and had nothing but trouble with it. They sent me 3 replacements, all 3 had something wrong with them. After that I asked for a refund and suddenly they don't reply anymore. Ok its only 500€ here but still, it's 500€ wasted. Just my 2 cents

SheepFactory
01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Well I gave it a go and had nothing but trouble with it. They sent me 3 replacements, all 3 had something wrong with them. After that I asked for a refund and suddenly they don't reply anymore. Ok its only 500€ here but still, it's 500€ wasted. Just my 2 cents

This doesn't sound good. :(

What kind of problems were you having with it?

StijnVanDoorselaere
01-18-2013, 08:01 AM
This doesn't sound good. :(

What kind of problems were you having with it?

Well, I had serious callibration issues. It only worked on the x-axis. They kept telling me the problem was with my pc, until I reached the point I tried it on a fresh Windows install and still didn't work they were willing to admit it was a hardware issue. Another one had all kinds of dust behind the screen. And I mean in all kinds of sizes all over the screen. Once I got one that fairly worked it still was hard to calibrate decently and on top of that they don't work well with Photoshop.
After all that I was sooo p*ssed I bought a used Cintiq 21UX 2010 and I haven't regretted it for a second. I was lucky to find one dirt cheap (2 months old, barely used and payed 800€ for it) but I still think it's worth its money.
I do agree that Wacom needs some good competition but in my experience, the Yiynova MSP19 isn't even close yet.

CKPinson
01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Software/drivers are part of that price tag. Was afraid of this sort of thing.

Ordibble-Plop
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
I do agree that Wacom needs some good competition but in my experience, the Yiynova MSP19 isn't even close yet.

Just to be clear, are you talking about the MSP19 or the MSP19U?

StijnVanDoorselaere
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Just to be clear, are you talking about the MSP19 or the MSP19U?

I'm talking about the MSP19. Can't say for the MSP19U, but I'm definitely not going to try again :P

iSOBigD
01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Has anyone tried the Bosto Kingtee 19MA (http://www.amazon.com/Bosto-Kingtee-19MA-Monitor-Tablet/sim/B008UEKURG/2) or Bosto Kingtee 14WA (http://www.pen-touch.com/kingtee_14wa.html)?

They're $600-$700 US and videos online show no pen jitter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVas1ojUb6o) like the Wacom has and about the same screen quality as the non-multi touch ones or better.

From what I saw, the Yiynova tablets are great except for that pen slight jitter, the lack of any buttons and the $300 model's screen get really dark unless you look at it right from above. I'm really looking to buy a tablet with programmable buttons and the Bosto Kingtee ones are the only alternative to Cintiq I could find (outside of $1000+ laptops which won't run apps as fast as my computer already can).

For some reason, I can't see many Bosto Kingtee reviews or videos, but so far everyone only mentions drivers and user error as issues and nothing else (I read about problems under Windows 8 and what not but having to use Win 7 in order to save thousands of dollars is OK with me. The other issues are generally with people not knowing how to install/uninstall drivers or use calibration software, the hardware seems solid).

Has anybody tried these? They seem exactly the same as the Yiynova tablets but with programmable buttons, a nicer design and no jitter problems, I'm just afraid to buy one yet.

roofoo
01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Has anybody tried these? They seem exactly the same as the Yiynova tablets but with programmable buttons, a nicer design and no jitter problems, I'm just afraid to buy one yet.

It's worth pointing out that there are no Mac drivers for the Kingtee, whereas Yiynova supports Mac. Also the latest Yiynova model (with the U suffix) fixed the pen jitter problem. Although I agree it's sad that Yiynova has no programmable hot keys on the side.

roofoo
01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm talking about the MSP19. Can't say for the MSP19U, but I'm definitely not going to try again :P

That's too bad, the MSP19U fixed all those issues that the MSP19 has.

CKPinson
01-18-2013, 04:59 PM
I can't say I blame him tho for not wanting to try again- sounds like the customer service was non-existent. It's like with cars, you will always come across at least one person who has been burned by a certain manufacturer-er and yet another person who stands by that very brand.

I'm still in the Wacom club but wish they had a display version that was wireless, light and portable such as with the Lenovo monitors coming out. But they have weak pressure sensitivity.

fuss
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
From what I saw, the Yiynova tablets are great except for that pen slight jitter

The MSP19U tablets don't have any pen jitter, except at the very edges (~5-7mm) of the screen and in the corners. I ordered mine from yiynova.eu (Netherlands) and have only positive things to report so far. It was delivered very quickly, the software installation took less than 5 minutes and then it just worked (tested in Photoshop, ArtRage and Sketchbook). There is only very minimial lag and it seems to depend more on the software that you use and your CPU rather than on anything else (I had some minor but noticable lag in ArtRage while none in Sketchbook and only very little in Photoshop - it may depend on the document size and the brush, though; I was mostly sketching with a small brush).

I miss the ability to map pen buttons to keyboard actions and need to press much harder with the pen than on my Intuos 3 to achieve the same line quality, but none of that is a deal breaker.

Nevertheless, despite being a fine device, I will probably try to return it for a full refund. I would like to stress that the reason for it isn't any fault with the tablet, but the fact that I simply cannot deal with the cursor parallax. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast and Cintiqs suffer from the same limitation. However, if you can deal with the parallax and are on the verge of whether you should get the MSP19U or not, my advice would be: go for it!

Dillster
01-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Here is the Yiynova DP10 10.1" in use:

83HBkzHfPEU

It isn't a review and just shows me testing and playing with it in ZBrush.

SpAiK
01-19-2013, 05:07 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_V_LK85LKE) also sounds promising. They say it has a pointer supporting 1024 pressure levels, and with a Core processor and 8gb of ram it would be powerful enough to move any demanding software.

DePaint
01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_V_LK85LKE) also sounds promising. They say it has a pointer supporting 1024 pressure levels, and with a Core processor and 8gb of ram it would be powerful enough to move any demanding software.

The top-model is 1,599 Dollars apparently. With Core i7 / 8GB DDR3 / 128 GB SSD.

What I don't like: The screen is only 10" - way too small, even though it is Full 1920 x 1200 HD resolution - and the company says nothing about what kind of graphics GPU the device has.

It probably has on-board Intel GFX only...

The best thing to do is probably to wait a few months before buying something like this.

During that time, many new hybrid touch screen/stylus based tablet/notebooks will probably come out.

Now that Samsung is advertising its Galaxy Note stylus-tablets everywhere, and selling good numbers, more manufacturers will probably jump on the stylus-tablet and stylus-notebook bandwagon.

CKPinson
01-20-2013, 05:13 AM
echo, Lenovo wireless touch monitors with stylus will spawn copycats to the point that Wacom will need to drop pricing or innovate more. They simply aren't mobile in a mobile world.

tswalk
01-20-2013, 06:44 AM
the KUPA looked interesting.. but ASUS also showed off this nice device and has a Tegra 3 (?)... not sure about pressure sensitivity though.

http://youtu.be/gc1dqoDWQ9Q

here's a bit more review:

http://youtu.be/x-tLoFNKmfo

patfour
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Anyone seen this before?

Its cheap way to get a cintiq, no special screen required, only pen and connectors. would be nice to get it working on a pc..

I wonder what the performance is like ( pen lag )
In an earlier post I mentioned there were reasons to be skeptical about the iPen 2, enticing though it does look.

First, the numbers: the project's Kickstarter drive is more than halfway to its deadline, but has raised less than a third of its funding goal. Cregle did exceed its goal for the first iPen back in 2011, asking for $35,000 and raising over $160,000, but now they're aiming for $360,000. It's possible they could get a surge of backers by February 5th, but...

Second, Cregle's track record: the original iPen was met with lukewarm response--aside from limited app compatibility, there were issues with calibration and lag. Even positive reviews (http://www.pocketables.com/2012/03/cregle-ipen-review.html) seemed to say "it's not perfect, but for what it does it's better than other stylus options." There was also controversy over Cregle's claims about the pen (described in more detail in that linked review), and to me, the company's delayed reaction casts some doubt their integrity.

The best outcome would be for Cregle to meet its Kickstarter goal and deliver a product that improves upon the first iPen's issues. I'm not holding my breath, but part of me hopes I'll be surprised.

Wacom will need to drop pricing or innovate more. They simply aren't mobile in a mobile world.
Totally agreed. Disregarding price and just looking at practicality, large Cintiqs are great for static workstations, but the 12WX sacrifices resolution without actually being portable. Wacom seems to be ignoring the chunk of the market who'd like to take a pen-display with them for meetings and travel.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.