PDA

View Full Version : My first Photorealistic Render

judeanwaleed
01-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Hello all, i just created this first Photorealistic Render in MAYA, MENTAL RAY, it looks good and realistic to me and to almost every one to whom i shared this picture with..

i did the retextured/shaded/light/composite this entire evermotion scene..

and i hope you all professionals dont find it any cheating;)

but please help me identify what mistakes do u see in this render ? thank you!

the link to the render:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waleedahmed/8354315672/in/photostream

Panupat
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry but I have to say it's no where near realistic. Additionally, your lighting doesn't explain form on objects very well, nor does it create any point of interest in your image.

Explaining form - you can really see that in the 2 front chairs. Each side of the chairs have very similar value, so much that they look flat. The same thing could be spotted through out the scene.

Point of interest - the lighting is very even through out the entire scene. Light from outside and inside are also both white. My best advise about this would be to take a look at other renders and see how they create interesting images with colors and values.

The blurring on the bed is also very distracting. It seems the whole image are in focus except that corner of the bed pointing towards us.

judeanwaleed
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
thanks for your deep reply,

i really didnt understand that deep comment! in which u r differentiating the light and and sky ambiance, though my direct light is corrected with a color temperature node.. though i understand that the blurriness is creating a bit distraction because of my Zdepth pass was calculate that way,

can you please be more open like talking and explaining to a beginner? please!

between please also tell me, since this was my very very first try as a photorealistic render how was my approach and how the render is as a beginner ?

thanks for your critics!

Panupat
01-08-2013, 02:01 AM
I think you're on a very good start.

I think looking at examples would be easier to pick up the idea :) Let's start with this simple sofa.

http://www.decorateit.ca/img/painting.jpg

You'll notice 2 things.
1 - the chair doesn't look flat. You can easily read its form from how the light changes value on each surface.
2 - there's no flat color at all. Even the flat well is having some kind of gradient tone.

You can observe the same quality in paintings as well. Light shines from the side giving the eggs very clear form and core shadows. And gradient on the wall.

http://academyofrealistart.com/artschoolstory/wp-content/uploads/image/fullsize/stillife.jpg

Now if you google interior painting/rendering, you'll see the same quality in them too. Well, maybe not all of them.

judeanwaleed
01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
thanks for your reply!

so u mean that for every material i should add some gradiation color in the diffuse? for this kinda a photo real look?

or can this flat look still be possible to achieve on post?

also can u please provide me some tutorial link for this?

i would appreciate your help alot!

tcweneffects
01-29-2013, 07:53 PM
I think his point was not just the materials. Your lights can have more contrast in different
levels. There should be darker area so the render will look vibrant.

leigh
01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Flickr is pretty much the last place you should post your work if you actually want any kind of useful, constructive or realistic feedback. The fanboy comments posted below your image make me facepalm.

As Panupat has pointed out, your image has a long way to go before it reaches your goal of realism. In addition to the comments post about shaders and lighting, your camera position and settings also require attention (and this includes your unnecessary use of DOF). Don't just stick a camera into your scene and render - think about the composition of the image and what you're trying to tell your viewers. If you want to make photorealistic images, you need to think like a photographer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.