PDA

View Full Version : PC for 3DSMAX/VRAY/AFX

tchong74
01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Hi there,

I know there has been a lot of post about what configurationt to chose
But i wanted pro advices on my rig.
I'm really hesitating about the GC. Maybe you could help me between pro and gaming card.

I do a little gaming from time to time, but the aim here is really to decrease the render time, and have something kind of stabble of course ahah

so here is what i chose so far, with a 1500~2000 (euros) budget

GC : GTX 680 4GO ou HD 7970 3GO or Quadro 2000 to stay in the same kind of prices

MB : MSI Z77

PROC : I7 3820 ou I7 3770k (and the OC)

RAM : 16 ou 32 depending of the money left ahah but at the end want to have 32

DD : SSD 120 go + SATA 1GO or simply one SATA 1GO. I don't know if a SSD is really useful there.

For the box and the alim i don't know yet, maybe you know something that can be easily and safely carriable.

Thank you for your help ;)

AJ1
01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey man,

You could always just buy 16GB to start with, and add another 16GB if you find that you need it. The SSD drives wont affect your render times, but they make loading, saving, rebooting, and file management a hell of a lot faster.

If your going quad core, the 3770K is the newest thing out there. Apparently the new 22nm 6-8 core chips are coming out later this year, but no word if they will be on LGA 2011 or 1155.

-AJ

r0b3030
01-18-2013, 07:44 AM
i'm also trying to config a new rig now w/ similar question :
GTX 660 (or 70) or the Quadro2000 ?

--I'll start my own thread but i'm checking other threads in which other artists are discussing similar "GTX vs. Quadro" decision.

I will not have animations/heavy render pipeline : just low-volume production for my own art & experimenting w/ models for 3d-printing--

so my poly counts/geometry could get large but not "huge"--
& not any big worlds or heavy-production-deadlines.

--Will have Asus mobo Z77 V, using i5 w/ 8gb sys ram, W7 pro/64bit.

Using Max, modo, zBrush, possibly C4d (i liked using C4d's 3d-paint in the past), then Ps for general paint..
but no heavy video editing--and- no gaming.

I'm 3d & 2d artist who used to work in games/video 4 models/asset production--
--Don't know much *at all* re: hardware or algorithm/math,

having hard time sifting thru info thesedays on the ways
video cards & GPU cores/mem optimize workflow for vertex data, polys, mapping & rendering algorithms.

They're way beyond my knowledge--these advanced video cards & GPUs blow away any hardware i used when i was doing my work in the past.

Hope my similar question on GTX vs Quadro will be close enough to ur own topic, *apologies if encroaching.*

--I can only find a few current threads on the same GTX vs. affordable Quadro.
..THANX for any advice.. mucho appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2013, 07:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.