PDA

View Full Version : Can I "Alias" names in Character Sets??

Nenox
12-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi All.

I'm not really a MEL guy yet, but I do enjoy using a few commands. Among those is aliasAttr.

Now.. Is there any way that I can use this, or a simmilar command, to alias /change the names in a Character Set?

I would like to know since I love the funtionality of Character Sets, but I'm not to fond of looking at the naming.

Thanks,
Nenox.

dwalden74
12-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Is there any way that I can use this, or a simmilar command, to alias /change the names in a Character Set?

Probably. Have you tried it? If so, what happened? Not sure if it would work on referenced characters.. probably not, but I havenīt tried it.

Nenox
12-10-2003, 04:30 PM
If I add eg. "L_hand_control" to a character set, I'll get names like "L_hand_control.translateY" in there. I would like to be able to have full control over the naming in the character set, independant of the Objects and attributes actual names.

Right now I know how to alias attributes, so I can get the prior example to show up like "L_hand _control.UD" for example.

A solution would maybe be, to be able to create an alias for the object name, that only shows in the Charecter Set. This way I could alias the attribute ty to UD and the name L_hand_control to LH and get "LH.UD" in the character set, while still seeing the original name "L_hand_control" in all other places..

Is that possible??

Thank's a lot!
:) Nenox

dwalden74
12-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Ahh, you want to alias the objīs names (not just the attr names). Iīve never seen this done, so I would say itīs probably not possible. However, I have been wrong in the past, so maybe someone else has a funky solution...?

Also (and BTW, I never use attr aliases), I donīt even see aliases showing up in the channelBox...do you?

Nenox
12-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I sometimes use aliases and they work just fine. I'll write eg.: aliasAttr Twist lowerBack.ry;, and ry now shows up as twist in the channelbox and in the diferent editors.

Ciao,
Nenox :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.