PDA

View Full Version : Folders with tons of pictures slow to open fully

earwax69
01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Hi, I got some folders with thousands of camera files. Mainly Raw and Jpeg pictures. When I open such a folder, it take quite a while for all the picts and info to appear. There's a "time left" bar at the top of the folder.

I was wondering if it's because I have indexing off on my computer...

Anyway to speed that?

Windows 7, 64bit. i7 860. 12gb of ram.

Stormchain
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM
thats weird, i woulda said ram but youve got it o.O eagerly waiting for input as well

AJ1
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Hey man,

Adobe Lightroom and Bridge are meant for this, and give you a really nice layout showing thumbnails and metadata. They're meant for working with thousands of RAW photos and several TB of data. You could always download the trial from Adobe and play around for 30 days.

-AJ

tswalk
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Indexing will more than likely not help that much unless you are using explorer search or similar function to find specific meta data about the images.

Another option you may look at is the "optimization" option found when right clicking and selecting the folder properties (choose customize). This is available for most folders except like your system or windows directories. One note here though, this will apply a template view in explorer... so like videos, pictures, etc... will get a specific layout in explorer. And I believe pictures will use the media template and subsequently receive thumbnails. This could cause major slowdowns if you hard drive is slow or beginning to fail.

I personally do not use the templates if there are more than a few dozen images in the folder... it just slows things down.

I would also suggest running normal maintenance on the drive, like checkdisk. (right click drive > properties > tools > check disk). This will require a reboot of the system, and will run a low level scan to ensure file tables are correct.

After running checkdisk and rebooting, try running defragment. This is usually done in the background these days, but if you've been moving a lot of files around, delete, reorganizing, it will get fragmented. (right click drive > properties > tools > optimize)

All of this may only make minor improvements, so if you still have slow directory refresh or browsing, you may need to consider limiting the number of total files in a single directory.. to like 500 or less.

My wife keeps photos of everything imaginable on her laptop, even though she keeps it fairly well organized by event or date, there are still hundreds of photos in a single directory. With the media template applied (so you can view large icons or thumbnails) it gets a bit slow browsing them with that 5400 RPM drive.

Maybe its' just time to upgrade to faster drive or consider employing a RAID 10 solution for your library?

evanfotis
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
even image managers like Acdsee may initially take some time to view all thumbnails. They usually catalogue files for faster browsing afterwards.
Another consideration is the drive itself. If files reside on an external usb drive they will take longer to be read.
Same goes with almost full drives.
I have a library drive almost full and takes time to read, I can hear the "coffee grinder".
Bust some stock images on my almost empty Raid0 drive open instantly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.