PDA

View Full Version : Which computer animation college is best for me?

Jarklor
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I have always loved video games in Japan. I know I want to be part of it. My most desired position is to be an 3d animator, working for a game company in Japan. I want to try my hardest to get to that level. I have a few options in mind and am interested in hearing your ideas.

The top school on my list is HAL. Which is located in Japan. I believe that being connected to Japan will lead me to great opportunities. I have been studying Japanese a lot and I'm going to take 4 years of classes in high school. Do you believe this is a good option for me?

I have also considered Ringling. Although it has no connection with Japan and primarily focuses on Pixar like animation. Vancouver seems pretty nice aswell. Digipen hosts Japanese classes and has affiliation with Nintendo. I have also thought of going to SCAD. Although it's video game design department seems to not have a big concentration on cinimatic animation.

I really need some help with this. So all advise is greatly appreciated. :)

Panupat
01-07-2013, 04:47 AM
I guess you have 2 choice. Start studying in Japan now, graduate in Japan and join studio from entry level position and build your way up like everyone else. Most game (and featured) animation in Japan relies on mo-cap, so if you're focused on Pixar style animation you may not fit in very well.

Another option would be to stay in the US and get experienced first. Then you jump over to Japan in higher position such as art director or senior artists. Keep in mind tho that Japanese has very strong tradition and social structure, so jumping ship like this may not be easy.

I myself think Japanese games are really falling behind US games nowadays.

Jarklor
01-07-2013, 05:03 AM
What do you think about the colleges I have in mind? I'm not interested in Pixar animation, purely 3d animation like final fantasy xiii.

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2013, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.