PDA

View Full Version : Animation: KI Launch

Meaty
12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone, I thought I would share this with you all.

First a little background to explain what you are seeing.

This is an animation of a KI Launch. KI stands for Kinetic Interceptor. KI is a program run by MDA (Missile Defense Agency). The maneuver that is performed is called a GEMS maneuver, and it is done to burn fuel because these missiles don't have a throttle. It is a cold launch, i.e. it fires out of the canister with compressed air (which is not in this particular animation for time reasons).

Anyways, why am I showing you this? I was having trouble getting realistic smoke (surprise surprise) while keeping the render times down. So I had my hypervoxels kickin and I took my emmitter, cut the birth rate in half, cloned it, and changed it from volumetrics to sprites. So I ended up with two emitters for the smoke, one of volumes and one of sprites. The result looked pretty nice.

Caveats: 1) we ended up desaturating the image in post, but this is the raw render. 2) if the ground looks familiar, that is because it is just barely modified from a synthetic-images.com tutorial, so thanks to them for that.

www.deadpixelsociety.com/interceptor_launch.mpg
www.mtsi-va.com/interceptor_launch.mpg

if you want the scene file for the hypervoxel and sprite settings here it is

www.deadpixelsociety.com/interceptor_launch.lws

Orkman
12-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Meaty.

That is way cool. I have been picking it apart. My question is, what setting affected how the hypervoxels were shot out the back. When I try it they just kinda appear behind my rockey, but you have the HVs kinda shooting out then settling in the air. There is some real velocity to how they shoot out. What setting is that?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.