PDA

View Full Version : question about XP

digitalshaman
12-10-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm about to buy a new pc. gonna be using it for gaming and lightwave, then later 3dsmax. shall i go fo xp pro or home?

i dont care about overclocking or anything technical i just wanna do 3d and games, shall i go for home?

please tell me why u think i should go with xp/home

thanks

UrbanFuturistic
12-10-2003, 02:10 PM
If you want dual CPU support then Pro is a must. Otherwise, unless you want IIS, are planning to do software development with Visual Studio .net (which insists on IIS for web development) or specifically want the admin tools that come with Pro, then you might as well go for Home just because it's cheaper.

regards, Paul

s2a-adamk
12-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Don't know what 3d - but "3ds Max does not support XP."

Whatever that means - some people have trouble - especially on AMD machines.

a

GregHess
12-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Don't know what 3d - but "3ds Max does not support XP."

????

ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/C-Dilla3.27.zip

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/answer.php3?prod=dddstudio&id=1124

http://www.discreet.com/docs/products/3dsmax/3dsmax6_techspec.pdf

ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax5_1.htm

You might want to tell discreet that. They've been supporting it since the end of 3dsmax4.

Whatever that means - some people have trouble - especially on AMD machines.

Some evidence to support your statements? How bout some url's or articles?

s2a-adamk
12-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Well I am glad they finally got with it.
How come that patch page says XP PRO - what about just XP?

All I know is my friends with XP and AMD machines have more problems running max than people with P4 2000 machines. I dropped AMD years ago for 3d after my athlon 800 crawled while the p3 800 cruised.

My Max 4 on a p4 XP PRO machine runs fine.

I am sure you can make it work with whatever system you want. I would just recommend p4 and win 2k.

a

GregHess
12-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Ah...sounds like you just had a configuration problem.

Sad, since the athlons utterly obliterated the P4's until Hyperthreading came out in mainstream.

XP = XP PRO/HOME

elvis
12-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by meanadam

ahh yes, "finally". it was a year ago.

methinks you should stop relying on rumours and heresay, and perhaps go hunting for information yourself?

Emberghost
12-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by meanadam
How come that patch page says XP PRO - what about just XP?

All I know is my friends with XP and AMD machines have more problems running max than people with P4 2000 machines. I dropped AMD years ago for 3d after my athlon 800 crawled while the p3 800 cruised.

My Max 4 on a p4 XP PRO machine runs fine.

I am sure you can make it work with whatever system you want. I would just recommend p4 and win 2k.

a

I do not mean to be rude or harsh but this sounds a lot more like user error than the actual program itself. There could have been multiple things wrong on your amd system to make it crawl.

Originally posted by GregHess
Sad, since the athlons utterly obliterated the P4's until Hyperthreading came out in mainstream.

Yes I agree with this statement. From personal and non personal experience.

Ice Czar
12-11-2003, 02:11 AM
you would also require XP Pro to employ PAE
if your using 4GB of RAM

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/server/pae/pae_os.mspx

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.