PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Particles as light sources

caimatthews
01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi All, happy new year!

I have a thinking particle setup which I'm very happy with, but I'm struggling with one final detail - Basically I want all the particles to emit light while they are alive.

With a standard particle system, it's possible to just make any light a child of the emitter & hey presto, each particle from that emitter is it's own light source. However this does not work when parenting a light to the null object I have as the host for my TP setup (null, with xpresso tag that includes my nodes - Very simple pstorm with gravity & deflector).

I know I could get the effect I want with a material, but I would rather figure out the most technically correct way to achieve this.

So my question is, can anyone give me some hints or an answer to how to create individual TP light sources, either at the layout level or in xpresso?

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

teleliq
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi!

You have 2 Options:

Option1: The classic way

Open your Xpresso setup and create 2 Nodes. First a pPass node with your particle group (for example ALL if you have only 1 group). Now create a pShape node and conect the pPass to the pShape. Click on the pShape node and drag your light into the pShape node. Now all your particles are linked to a particle shpae (in your case, the light). The final thing you have to do is to create a particle geometry object (simulate->Thinking Particles->Particle geometry). Now you should see your lights in your viewport.

Option 2: The Mograph way

Create a cloner and make your light a child of the cloner. Set the cloner mode to object. Now drag your particle group (for example ALL if you only have 1 group) in the object link field. You find your particle groups here: simulate->Thinking Particles->Thinking Particle Settings. What now happens is, that you clone your light onto your particle group. That's it. If you want several lights, just make them all a child of your cloner.

Cheers
Simon

ChrisCousins
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Gah, Simon beat me to it :rolleyes: - but I made a file so you might as well see it.

Srek
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
One more word on option 1, create an additonal Null and switch it to not beeing visible in renderer. Make the shape you want to use (in your case the light) a child of this Null.
This prevents the original shape to influence your rendering.

caimatthews
01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for speedy responses guys! :)

In the end I went for the pshape & light as child of a null combination & it's working nicely. Just need to sort my light/render setting to look nice now!

Cheers!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.