PDA

View Full Version : Free Hosting: 3 Years

Goon
12-10-2003, 06:45 AM
1and1.com (http://www.1and1.com)
# 500 MB web space
# 5,000 MB/month traffic ($.99 per GB for additional traffic)
# No limits on simultaneous hits/bandwidth
# Protected by firewall
# Continuous backups of your website

* Advanced live site statistics, log files, ready-to-run CGI-library, own CGI programming (Perl, Python), FrontPage 2002 extensions
* Advanced Password Protection
* 5 FTP accounts
* PHP3 & PHP4
* MySQL
* Proxy SSL Secure Server
* Cron Jobs
* SSH Secure Shell Access
* Advanced Developer Tools

Appears to be legit. I'm signing up right now. :bounce:

Be aware it expires Jan 14, so get yours while you can!

belail
12-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Aw nuts, its for the US and Canada only. Its a shame, I was really interested in it for a minute there.

NUKE-CG
12-10-2003, 09:09 AM
So they get lots of customers easily, and make their money off people exceeding the 5GB limit?

Sounds good, except.. is there an option to stall use after the limit is hit? like restricting the use to the free GB only?

flipnap
12-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Aw nuts, its for the US and Canada only.

i dunno.. i just signed up (im in states) but i saw this on their site

Our UK customers may log on to the Control Panel using http://admin.oneandone.co.uk.

so i dunno.. prolly not the rest of the world though..

but this is cool, definitely!! Now I have a place to post all my homemade movies of snow melting:bounce:

paulc
12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Seems a good offer, and even the .99c per extra gig of traffic, seems reasonable.

I'm looking for a host so's I can post some stuff on cgtalk, but want it to be cheap as poss (of course.)

So, just as a matter of interest, how much bandwidth do people encounter here when they post their threads on cgtalk, and does it really hurt their bandwidth restrictions.

MCronin
12-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by NUKE-CG
So they get lots of customers easily, and make their money off people exceeding the 5GB limit?

Sounds good, except.. is there an option to stall use after the limit is hit? like restricting the use to the free GB only?

Well, personally I wouldn't want my page to go down if I hit the band width limit. Besides that it's only a dollar a gig when you go over the limit. That's pretty cheap I think.

flipnap
12-10-2003, 03:05 PM

from their website

Here you can limit your costs for services which carry a fee. Click on Set Up by the contract ID you would like to control and specify the amount you wish to stay under. When you reach 90% of this amount, you will be notified by e-mail that you are nearing your set cost limit. You will be notified by e-mail as soon as the set limit is reached. These e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address you specified under User Data.

NUKE-CG
12-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Thanks Flip, did a quick search for some key words, but figured that was their catch, but like Mcronin said, you wouldn't want it going down.. but it could be a problem if a 20+ mb demo reel video was front paged.. you could rack up quite a pretty penny.

Now.. just have to find a yank, canuck, or pom to register for me :thumbsup:

slime
12-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Everything sounds great, but bandwidth costs a lot of money, and also the computers, the support, the servers mantenience... How is this company supposed to pay for that?

Let's say your image (100Kb) hits the front page. You will need 50,000 people to see the image to reach that bandwidth. Why I'm trying to say is that not much people are going to go over 5Gb, and then , only $1 per Gb? They won't make any money with this, only loose it, so I don't think this is going to be relliable.

Just my oppinion ;)

pgp_protector
12-10-2003, 08:36 PM
The site is legit, Im using it for 1 site I have.

one warnings though.

1) Dont get your domain name through them, they say they will not point it to another server, only theres.

Goon
12-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by pgp_protector
The site is legit, Im using it for 1 site I have.

one warnings though.

1) Dont get your domain name through them, they say they will not point it to another server, only theres.

So does that mean that they will not transfer the domain name or what?

pgp_protector
12-10-2003, 10:40 PM
You may be able to get it transfered to a diffrent register(Dont see how they can stop that), but if you register your domain name with them, they wont point to a diffrent host.

Now they may of changed that from the last time I was there, but that is what I read.

kwshipman
12-11-2003, 12:12 AM
okay this is sounding good to me, I am sick of fortunecity's popups and banners, so I'll sign up.

two questions though as I am new to web sites
1.)do I have to get a domain name to use 1&1, or are the providing me one, like members.1&1.com/kwshipman

2.)If I register a domain name through them you say they wont point to a different host. what does that mean? I am not going to transfer any domain name from a different provider. feel free to explain it to me like a 5 year old, I am feeling slow today (just wrote a 10 page paper today)

pgp_protector
12-11-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by kwshipman
okay this is sounding good to me, I am sick of fortunecity's popups and banners, so I'll sign up.

two questions though as I am new to web sites
1.)do I have to get a domain name to use 1&1, or are the providing me one, like members.1&1.com/kwshipman

2.)If I register a domain name through them you say they wont point to a different host. what does that mean? I am not going to transfer any domain name from a different provider. feel free to explain it to me like a 5 year old, I am feeling slow today (just wrote a 10 page paper today)

1) No, I dont beleve "need" a domain name, your site would be located at 1and1.com/~username I Beleve

2) If you are not going to use a domain name, then no problem, if you "buy" a domain name through them and in 6 months you decide you want to move to a diffrant host, you will need to find a new register(the place where you buy domain names), and transfer the domain name to them (This will cost you somthing), if you buy your domain elsewhere (I.E. networksolutions.com) then you can point you name whereever you want.

pogonip
12-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Sounds really great but as always use caution...if it's to good to be true it probebly is as they say .. though I think I will sign up to at least do some image hosting ..etc etc..

The place I think has the best deal is www.hostrocket.com massive transfer limit and it roles over it has a 50 GB / mo limit and .99 additional but if you only use 30 one month thn the next month you have 80GB limit :thumbsup: ...and so on :bowdown:

windarr
12-11-2003, 07:28 AM
While you are on the subject of cheap/free hosting I wonder what the best deal someone has seen for buying a domain name? I currently use www.godaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com) and they usually cost $8.95/year for a domain, but right now have a special for $7.95/year, this is for .com names. You'll have to check out the website for the other prices. They have worked really well for me for the last three years. Anybody know of a cheaper but still good place?

MCronin
12-11-2003, 07:45 AM
One of the best hosting solutions I've ever used is aplus.net. 19.95 to set up and 9.95 a month gets you 200 megs on a Debian server, unlimited transfers, your own domain name, 50 emails, and unlimited subdomains. Their customer service is fantastic and they are consistantly in the top three web hosts when industry publications do reviews. Dedicated servers with a 500 gig a month transfer limit start at 99 dollars a month. Even if you don't go dedicated, though, their standard servers are very fast.

Check them out.

http://www.aplus.net/

pogonip
12-11-2003, 09:02 AM
I use to use aplus I thought there customer service was shitty .. :rolleyes: took 3 days to respond to e-mail most of the time ...maybe they got better ??

MCronin
12-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, I always just called them on the phone

Dj Petro
12-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Does this mean they can advertise on your site?

"Before using a website under a domain name, 1&1 may contain advertisements on the website for 1&1 Services or for the products and services offered by business partners of 1&1 or by other third parties."

_

grury
12-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Best deal I found when I was looking for a place to host a while back, was http://www.ipowerweb.com , still quite cheap at 7.95/mo (free domain/transfer, 800Mb storage and 40 Gig transfer which has been mor than enough, even when i post stuff on CGtalk), they very reliable and fast servers, the only problem I had was when they changed they servers and dindt warn me in advance, but since then had problems at all, would recomend it any time.

character
12-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Dj Petro
Does this mean they can advertise on your site?

"Before using a website under a domain name, 1&1 may contain advertisements on the website for 1&1 Services or for the products and services offered by business partners of 1&1 or by other third parties."

_

what this means is that before you actually publish your website and have something up there, they're able to post an advertisement in that empty webspace temporarily. up until you put yours up.

Dj Petro
12-11-2003, 10:43 PM
ahhh... gotcha. Thanks, it is always hard to read those agreements. They can get confusing.

_

kwshipman
12-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Well I got a sit eup and running with them. You can choose from 120 templates that are also free as well as flash intros(you can see what I set up in about 30 min at www.kwshipman.com ). They have a website creator that will allow you to customeize your sites contents very easily. I think that you can only edit 12 pages this way, but i was planning on creating them my self and FTPing them anyways. I am not worried about the transfer as I dont have any animations to show, but 5GB will be small for others.

I'll give it 9/10 stars

PhilOsirus
12-13-2003, 11:01 PM
I do have my own domain name with them. Seems reliable, and I expect a lot of people to start their own websites there but not do anything with them after a while, hence lots of publicity and not much bandwidth used.

But are you saying that if in the future I wish to change hosting company, I can't transfer my domain name anymore?

Gnome
12-14-2003, 12:24 AM
I used http://www.calantechnologies.com/ to set up my website.
Their basic plan was #3.95 Cdn/month for 100 Mb, and 1 Gig bandwidth.

Advanced plan in $7.95 Cdn/month for 300Mb and 3 Gig transfer.

colintheys
12-14-2003, 06:56 PM
I also use ipowerweb and would absolutely reccomend them to anyone else. Not only is it cleap and reliable, but the service is awesome. I've emailed them a few times with issues (not their problems. :) expect for the one time i couldn't get thier free hit counter to work) and each time I got a real human reply within hours. They also helped me to get my domain away from the fraudulent site that was holding it before them.

windarr
12-14-2003, 07:48 PM
I use Infinology for my host. If you go to smartconsumers.infinology.com (http://smartconsumers.infinology.com) check out their $6.95/mo special. You get 9GB storage, and 50GB transfer limit. The special says it ends Sunday, but they've had that up for a while. The service is moderate to quite good. You can usually get ahold of them best by phone on their 800 number. Some times during the day it can be difficult to get a hold of them though. Right now they're offering Free Setup, or a Free domain name/transfer, just make sure to read all the fine print on the detail page because I almost missed out on getting my free setup because I didn't read it carefully enough. And of course you could always call and get the details out of the proverbial "horse's mouth".

slice56
12-14-2003, 10:50 PM
I use Total Choice Hosting (http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/)

I get:

10GB / month bandwidth
500 mb of space
free domain name
no limit to subdomains
unlimited emails
all the script options
shopping cart software
mailing list software
forums software
cpanel
stats

all for $55 US / year

Its VERY fast and I havent had a single problem yet :buttrock:

Pate
12-15-2003, 08:36 AM
I am using http://www.surpasshosting.com

I have the Standard plan (525MB, 15GB/month for $4.94/month when paying monthly, or $48 for a full year).

I've been quite happy with the service, have had no problems with them. They have unlimited subdomains and emails and allow streaming audio and video.

Also, they allow adult content (not that I plan to have any, but I think this is a good indication of their general attitude).

Pate

Bradf0rd010
12-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Guys, I just have to pipe in here.

I would say I've had my fair share of experience with web hosts, and can say without doubt that 1&1 is one of the worst hosting companies I've had the misfortune to be involved with.

I signed up for one of their 'professional' packages (for a tech site I co-own), and when everything looked good in the early days, also signed up for another package to host another site.

Well, in hindsight, I'm kicking myself on both counts.

In my opinion, their servers are underpowered and oversubscribed. We were getting constant mySQL crashes (26 mySQL failure notices in my inbox in one day was the worst). Their 'tech support' is a joke (I still remember spending about 10 minutes actually having to explain to an 'advisor' what a 404 error is).
The best bit was when the professional package contract expired and they signed me up for another 6 months. But rather than tell me that I owed them money, they just put it straight into the hands of a debt recovery agency, which has now screwed my credit rating.

Yes, it's free, but you have to ask what they get out of it. They give me the impression that they are the very embodiment of the souless corporation that will ream you at the first opportunity.

We're now with 34sp (http://www.34sp.com), give them a look if you're in the UK.
Otherwise, take a look around web hosting talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com). That's a good place for specials and customer opinions.

t-man152
12-17-2003, 01:39 AM
OK as a 16 year old I have to watch everything I spend. they wont decide to charge me for some reason anytime soon will they.
why do they want my phone number they wont call me and tell me well now you have to pay for our service. I would use this as a image host and in about a month as a real website. they wont charge me will they?

PhilOsirus
12-17-2003, 02:10 AM
They called me to give me a number to enter on their site, but quite frankly I think it is a set ep to get your phone number and check if it is real by calling, since everything else is done by e-mail.

Seems legit to me, but I don't trust them (dumb me). I don't think it's a good idea. Find a host that has a good deal, not a strange one.

kwshipman
12-17-2003, 02:19 AM
yep, they have an automated machine call you to give you a pin. At least they dont ask for a credit card number.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.