PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Demo Reel

DougG
12-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get an honest opinion from everyone here reguarding whats good about my demo reel, and what I could really improve upon.

Thanks!

Check out my Reel here :

Demo Reel 2003 (25.4 MB) (http://www.instancedreality.net/Images/VideoImages/demoreel.avi)

blindsleeper
12-10-2003, 06:49 AM
the opening animation scene is definately the best, its a great piece of animation i think, very liquid and very appropriate for the music. i think some of the textures need serious reworking, especially the race track, as they appear to have no uv maps and just have a random texture thrown on there. not really sure what else to say. like the choice of music
:thumbsup:

yangmiemie
12-10-2003, 08:52 AM
:applause:
nice work,,,,go on
can u tell me the background music who had sing?artise \ song name\
thx....:wavey:

gtidhar
12-10-2003, 09:31 AM
I'm not expert, but here is my opinion:

First of all - you got alot of good things going for you. The models, use of colors and lighting were all pretty good (and much better then any of my skills).

What didn't seem to work for me was firstly the lips synch. I think it would be better if you'd not do it at all. If you do - the lips should have much widder movements. Your character does not seem to sing, but to talk calmly. She is not emotinal. The singer in the song screams her heart out.
Second issue is the camera movements. I am not sure if this is a good practice, but the song would fit the reel better of the camera moved faster at the scenery scenes. You could also have it rotate at some point. For instance you have a scene where the camera moves above a cliff getting closer to a character standing at the end. I would lower the camera even more, have it move faster, let it fly over the cliff then rotate and coninute on it's original vector only to watch the character from the front.

Again - I am realy no expert, but this is what I could think of.

That's a good reel! :thumbsup:

I wish you good luck with it!

DougG
12-10-2003, 04:07 PM
blindsleeper - Thank you for your compliment about the opening sequence, I like how it came out. Although I think it needs alot more work. About the texturing I know which part in the reel your talking about, and as a whole all together I do need to learn how to texture better. Thank you for the help.

yangmiemie - Thanks! The bg music is by Evanescence. The song name is Bring Me To Life.

gtidhar - Thank you for your critique. I agree with everything you said, and I'm workin on a new reel :)

Thanks for the help :beer:

steverage
12-10-2003, 05:38 PM
good stuff on there, couple things tho:

u want yr best stuff FIRST - ditch the girl singing, looks like u just added it in to go with the music

second, none of the hands / fingers on any of yr models seem to move. they look like they are prosthetic ones just stuck on! but thats easy to sort...

otherwise nice stuff - plus Evanescence rule:buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.