PDA

View Full Version : Wishing to put together an animation machine

martianexpatriate
12-30-2012, 02:16 AM
Hello everyone. I've been experimenting for some time with Blender and rendered some simple scenes, and made animations on a few occasions, but I'm still figuring my way around the software.

Soon, I'm going to be allocating some money for a new machine, the primary purpose of which will be to handle animations.

In the past I've used several versions of UNIX (Ubuntu, and briefly Redhat, Linux) and of course Windows, even a Macintosh sometimes. Logically speaking I would think some version of Unix would be a more efficient machine to run Blender on, but I'd be curious to hear what people have to say about what would be the best operating system to use.

I'm not really certain how much money I can spend as of yet. I may have something like $1200 in a month, but I could wait for awhile to get something more powerful if its really necessary. I'd love to hear suggestions from people into cg as far as what is most important in a system, recommendations for a specific motherboard and so on. While I have a lot of experience with software and code, I have actually never built my own system before.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2012, 02:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.