PDA

View Full Version : How bad is a "bad" light leak on IPS/LED panel?

pentool
12-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Hello,

I've got me an ASUS PA248Q (http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA248Q/) monitor. This is my first LED/IPS display.

I've read that IPS panels have some light leak, but for those who own or have experience with IPS monitors, I'm curious what is considered a "bad" leak as opposed to "normal"?

I have my brightness set to zero (0) and my contrast to 25. I don't have to be in a total dark room displaying a black rectangle to see the leaks. Just being in a dim room and watching movies with darker scenes lights up all four corners. When I say "lights up" I mean it really lights up.

When I display every day images, or just using the monitor "regularly" eg, internet, doing drawing or 3D stuff, then the leaks are not visible.

Is this considered normal? How would you quantify a light leak where you would consider taking the monitor back?

Thanks.

pentool
12-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Took it back.

paintbox
12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Good thing you returned it, because I have an IPS and there is just a slight dent of light on the right lower hand corner, but it's almost non-existent.

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.