PDA

View Full Version : Does Houdini 12 allow ALT-Click Navigation?

MarkInTx
12-27-2012, 04:29 AM
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere...

Am I right that Houdini will still not allow the common ALT-Right click. ALT-Middle and ALT-Left click to handle the basic navigation in the viewport? Does it still only accept the space bar for that?

I other words, in Houdini 12, can I set up the navigation to be like Maya or Max? I read through the press release, but I didn't see this listed... but I thought I read on another forum it was supposed to be in Version 12...

DaJuice
12-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Not as far as I know Mark. I can see how that could be an annoyance, especially since no other programs use the spacebar for viewport navigation (that I know of). Personally I've gotten used to jumping around between packages and using their native shortcuts. And hay, at least it's not like lightwave's viewport nav. :wip:

Also, if you do get into it I recommend getting comfortable with Houdini-style tumbling (needs to be enabled in the prefs in more recent versions). Might seem disorienting at first but it allows for complete freedom without any axis lock. Cheers.

MarkInTx
12-29-2012, 11:38 AM
And hay, at least it's not like lightwave's viewport nav. :wip:

Or zBrush's, which is worse. :)

But both of those have addon products that give it to you. I don't get the stubbornness of some company's. Making that optional really isn't a hard thing to do. You'd think by Version 12, they'd get that. Oh well...

Also, if you do get into it I recommend getting comfortable with Houdini-style tumbling (needs to be enabled in the prefs in more recent versions). Might seem disorienting at first but it allows for complete freedom without any axis lock. Cheers.

OK. Thanks for the tip!

mr Bob
01-02-2013, 12:18 AM
But both of those have addon products that give it to you. I don't get the stubbornness of some company's. Making that optional really isn't a hard thing to do. You'd think by Version 12, they'd get that. Oh well...

I jump around from Nuke / Maya / Houdini all the time and see navigation as a none issue.

b

MarkInTx
01-03-2013, 01:44 AM
I jump around from Nuke / Maya / Houdini all the time and see navigation as a none issue.
b

I hear that from people from time to time. What can I say...? It bothers me a great deal. It makes me stop and think about what I want to do instead of just doing it.

What is so sad is that it is so simple to make it configurable... Then, if you didn't want to change things, you wouldn't have to... and those of us who are stymied by it, could change it to suit us.

Seems like a better approach than to stubbornly cling to a non-standard User Interface to me...

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2013, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.