PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my new PC configuration.

IvanKocic
12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi to all. I am 3d modeling, sculpting and texturing artist, working mostly on movies and advertisements. I use my old computer for 7 years now, so, it is time to buy new one. You can see my work on www.ivankocic.com just to see what do i need it for :)

Anyway, i already make configuration, but i need to see whit other people in industry, what do you think about it. Also, one of my colleges had problem when he buy computer, he had some graphic card, 400 or 500 series, and that card had some problem with autodesc software, so, Maya, for example, was work slower than on his old computer. I just want to be sure that i chose good hardware for work.

Motherboard: Socket 2011 Gigabyte GA-X78-UD5 rev.1.0
Processor: Socket 2011 Intel Core i7-3820 4-Core 3.6Ghz Box
Graphic card: nVidia Asus GTX600-DC20-2GD5
RAM memory: DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz KHX1600C10D3B1/8GB x 4 (32GB in total)
HDD: Western Digital WD10EZRX
Monitor: Dell ST242L (2 monitors)
Case: PSU 700W Cooler Master RS-700-ASABL3-EU GX Lite

Softwares i use are:
-ZBrush (piece of software that i spend most of my time)
-Maya (right now, just modeling, but i am start to learn rendering, but only for showcase)
-Photoshop
-3D Coat
-MudBox (mostly for texturing)
-Mari (i am planing to learn this whan i buy comp on what i can start it :) )
-Vue (start to learning)
-UDK (also, start to play with this)

So, plz, give me some advice, so i can change something if it is needed, and to go and order it in shop. Thx

AJ1
12-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey man,

You might want to look at the 1155 motherboards. 2011 is great for the 32nm 6 core chips, but the 32nm quad cores are out of date.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201155

You might want to upgrade your CPU to the 22nm 3770K. Its only about $40USD more, and is king of the quad cores right now.

-AJ

IvanKocic
01-08-2013, 11:32 PM
AJ1, thx for try to help me, but, you answer, unforgettably, is little confusing. You probably make some mistake. If i take socket 1155 moat board, i cant put 2011 cpu on it. If you, on other hand, think that i put 3770k on 1155 socket moat board, than ok. Unforgettably, 2770k is good processor for gaming and multitasking, but if we talk about rendering and work with 3d software's, 3820 much better solution. Also, ivy bridge... i hear to many bad critics about it. Sandy Bridge is still much beret solution for our work. Ivy bridge is new technology, but it is not to much faster, only few percent, and as i say, tests actual show lower performance on renders on ivy, but only better performance on games, and only 5%. Not worth money. Ivy bridge actually take only 77W in compere of sandy bridge that take 90w, that don't mean to much to users. Actually, if you try to overclock ivy, it is harder to keep the temperatures under control when performing higher overclocks (4.6GHz and above), but with sandy, you can go even above 5GHz. Also, i am putting 32Gb of ram memory, and i cant do that on 1155, and that is most important for me, for ZBrush (it is still 32bit but i hope that 64bit version will come soon.), and for use more programs in same time (maya, mubox, vue, wordmachine, 3dcoat, ZBrush, photoshop - all in same time). And maya know to take so much ram when i import 4mil ZBrush model for map baking on low poly models :)

I really appreciated your help, and maybe i am wrong. I would definitely like to hear what others think about this.

AJ1
01-09-2013, 03:39 AM
Hey man,

No worries. Although its dual channel, you should be fine with 32GB on an 1155 board.

Mental Ray and Vray tap out way before the Cinema4D renderer and Cinebench will, so don't read to much into those insane 5gz+ scores. You might be able to get a short Cinebench test at an extreme OC, but its often unstable when you try to render anything longer through your 3D app.

The unlocked multi of chips like the 3770K can make it a little easier to get max CPU performance while maintaining system stability for long renders.

From your description, it looks like the LGA2011 might be best for your needs though. :)

-AJ

cojam
01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Check the gpu against mari + autodesk docs = certified hardware?
Spend more there mud,3dcoat,mari,maya all will benefit.
If yes and depending on the card, you may have to reval the power supply.

You have no mention of SSD? Look into how fast they are. But $.

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.