PDA

View Full Version : WIP balrog

DaliLlama
01-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Was inspired by the balrog in LOTR

http://www.community3d.com/galleries/images/gallery-474.jpg

Staffan Norling
01-21-2002, 04:49 PM
Does'nt look anything like the picture i got by reading the books (have'nt seen the lame movie....and i'll never do)...but it looks like a start of a mighty realistic model. you got all the little details and wrinkles and stuff that i never manage to give my organic models...

JoBbE
01-21-2002, 05:31 PM
looks pretty much like the baalrog in the movie I think... cool!

FrageNSTEIN
01-21-2002, 05:33 PM
You won't see the movie? I went just for the spec fx, not to mention the movie itself was pretty good.

D

EighthDecay
01-21-2002, 06:17 PM
sweet looking detail,, love the mouth,, and the missing teeth. I wanta see the fire on him. killer stuff

Daniel
01-21-2002, 06:21 PM
looks cool so far, but give him a nice tex map...NOW!

I can't remember this char, I seen the movie YES..but I sleept on some parts, the movie wasn't that good! I said the movie, the SFX was great, the parts I seen :D

Staffan Norling
01-21-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm a old tolkien-fan. I've been reading his books since i i was very young...I'm one of the few who has realized that the power of the books is caused by the way tolkien writes. The balrog, for example, wasnt accurately descirbed...every reader has their own picture of it. In the movie, your pictures are replaced by the pictures of the conceptual artists.

There are fantasy stories far greater than lotr, but nobody has yet got close to tolkiens way of telling stories. 'm sure the movie could have become better if they choose another story...but since lotr is known as the best fantasy story ever, and that a movie based on tolkiens books would generate enourmous sums of money, they choose it. for commercial reasons in other words.

It may be a great movie with great f/x, it may eaven be one of the best movies ever made, but no matter how well they make the movie, it will never, ever be like a book. I love books becouse they contain words, not pictures and sequences. I love to read and create my own pictures of the events described. I have much creativity to channel, i can do it through books, but not through movies.

Don't get me wrong. I, as most of you, love to watch movies and get inspired. But i see no reason to replace my own pictures with pictures from a movie.

Sketch23
01-21-2002, 06:28 PM
LOTRs was amazing an amazing movie. I haven't been entertained like that at a movie in a long time. Nice start on the model. How bout a little more detail on his forehead (more wrinkles or something).

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.