PDA

View Full Version : what is the useful life of a HP Workstation?

Adrisim
12-22-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm planning on buying a HP Workstation next year. But I was thinking it's such a great inversion to throw it away after 2 usage years. So, I need advice on this. I'be using it for rendering, modeling and programming. I'm currentely suing a HP desktop with 3 GB RAM memory, 500 on HD and 1.8 GHz. I haven't render yet on this one. But then again the question is if I could use it for rendering or if I should wait ultil I can afford the Workstation.

Thank you for the feedback.

conbom
12-22-2012, 11:18 PM
of course you should use this, trust me on this one, your computer is not so important, indeed waiting for the "perfect setup" is a distraction. Don't procrastinate just get on with it and upgrade when you can, not before you start.

I was rendering on a 700mhz pentium and got my job on the back of a laptop. Your work will shine through. Powerful PC's don't count in this day and age.

Adrisim
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I believe I could. But think about the quality achievable with such low PC capacity. I won't procrastinate, you're right. I shall work right away. No need for distractions anymore.

But my main question remains unanswered. Which is the useful life of a HP Workstation?.

Any way. Thank you for your short review. I'll try to work right away, otherwise it's wasted time which could be useful for renders, programming, modeling or whatever. I hate when this happens. I would have began months ago. :sad:

darthviper107
12-23-2012, 09:52 PM
As long as you want it to be really, use it until it's worth it to you to upgrade again.

paintbox
12-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Computers are old the moment you unpack the box it comes in. It's a fact. You can buy the fastest workstation and it will be old by the time the next generation of any component comes around, which is basically each year. So premium priced PC's age faster. What you can buy for 4000 now, the next generation (next year) can do for half the price (Moore's law)

If you are making good money doing CGI, buy top of line, no problem.
If you just need something to do decent work with, just buy some good quality i7 or similar, a nice strong video card with the amount of memory you can afford.

Adrisim
12-25-2012, 07:07 PM
But it's a fact I need to upgrade my already PC for something faster and powerful. I'm just a beginner and for which I know video card capacity is the most important item on any workstation or even home-PCs.

As I said previously, I just want it for modelling and programming. Modelling would need also texturing, rendering, lighting and rigging (maybe). So, as many other have told me already: work with what you have. However, these processes need extremely CPU and video card speeds/capacity/quality which, as for I know, depends on low-high poly models and many other techniques for render and so.

As for now, I appreciate your feedback. But I will work with what I own. I'll upgrade, if necessary, when I feel to.

AJ1
12-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Hey man,

I pretty much just do modeling and web programming myself. I used to have a similar spec 32bit system to what you have now back in 09'. It was getting on a bit, so I bought a Dell with a Intel i7 860, 8GB of RAM, ATI 5770, and 64 bit XP. I installed Fedora 16 on a 40GB SDD drive, and it runs like a beast. No load times. I pretty much click, and the machine makes it happen.

I paid around $1000 at the time, and a similar setup could be had for around $400 now. I've had this thing for 3 years now, and I think Ill have it for many years to come.

It really helps to upgrade to the 64bit architecture. You don't have to wait for your programs to reload when your multitasking, and you'll have plenty of RAM to render and work at the same time.

-AJ

vlad
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
But it's a fact I need to upgrade my already PC for something faster and powerful. I'm just a beginner and for which I know video card capacity is the most important item on any workstation or even home-PCs.

As I said previously, I just want it for modelling and programming. Modelling would need also texturing, rendering, lighting and rigging (maybe). So, as many other have told me already: work with what you have. However, these processes need extremely CPU and video card speeds/capacity/quality which, as for I know, depends on low-high poly models and many other techniques for render and so.

As for now, I appreciate your feedback. But I will work with what I own. I'll upgrade, if necessary, when I feel to.

It goes without saying that a good gpu is better than a lower end one, but the cpu is the most important part to spend money on, especially in 3D. That and a sufficient amount of ram. You can generally organize your scenes to be workable with pretty much any half decent graphic card. But a slow cpu and lack of ram will always be a bottleneck.

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.