PDA

View Full Version : School Decision Help

justjr27
12-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone I just registered for Academy of Arts University online Animation BFA but after really diving into the course outcome I have noticed that there is alot of Liberal Arts Units { 45 } that I have to take, which was never told to me. I am 33 years old & dont what to have to take 15 classes that have nothing to do with animation. So I need some help finding a online program that takes financial aid doesnt matter if it is a certificate program. I have looked at gnomen but their only financial aid program is on campus, animschool seems awesome but they dont take financial aid & thier monthly payment of $500ish is un do able for me right now "Unemployed at the Moment". Do any of you guys have any other suggestions thank you.

narenn
12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Any bachelors degree you do will have a considerable amount of classes you won't want to take. I am half way through AAU's BFA program. You don't have to do all those liberal arts first. Essentially you can do things any order you want, though your advisors won't like that...

justjr27
12-29-2012, 11:26 PM
thanks for the responce I was told I couldnt leave the liberal arts class toward the end of the program. If I can that would be great. Will I be able to select my classes after the first semester?

narenn
12-29-2012, 11:31 PM
They had told me that as well. I ended up moving things around in my 2nd semester onward. So maybe do the first semester as they recommend, then rearrange after that.

Also if you have any work to show, submit it. You can wave out of beginner classes optionally.

justjr27
12-29-2012, 11:54 PM
They had told me that as well. I ended up moving things around in my 2nd semester onward. So maybe do the first semester as they recommend, then rearrange after that.

Also if you have any work to show, submit it. You can wave out of beginner classes optionally.

Ok Sounds good thats most likey what I will be doing as well. How good are the classes & teaching do you get alot of knowledge from the classes? Thanks again for the info

narenn
12-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Overall the program is strong. You will gain most of your knowledge from the department wide collaborative projects. I highly recommend you start working on those type of projects as soon as possible.

What is your focus? (Modeling, animations, comp, etc...?)

justjr27
12-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Overall the program is strong. You will gain most of your knowledge from the department wide collaborative projects. I highly recommend you start working on those type of projects as soon as possible.

What is your focus? (Modeling, animations, comp, etc...?)

I really want to do modeling & animation I know I can only focus on one so Im going to focus on the animation at school & going to self teach myself on the modeling side by signing up for a subcription & buying tutorial videos @ gnomon

narenn
12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I really want to do modeling & animation I know I can only focus on one so Im going to focus on the animation at school & going to self teach myself on the modeling side by signing up for a subcription & buying tutorial videos @ gnomon

Definitely check-in with the school to see what resources you can get. Like I know there are student accounts available of digital-tutors for the department.

justjr27
12-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Definitely check-in with the school to see what resources you can get. Like I know there are student accounts available of digital-tutors for the department.

Yea I already registered on the site & planinng on using that too. But the gnomon school has so many more videos & tutorials so going to be investing in that as well. Hey Thanks again for all the info & replys it has been of great use

narenn
01-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Yea I already registered on the site & planinng on using that too. But the gnomon school has so many more videos & tutorials so going to be investing in that as well. Hey Thanks again for all the info & replys it has been of great use

No problem. Good luck!

phantomworkshop
01-08-2013, 05:13 AM
I'm considering AAU's Online Program... Any feedback? How it's structured? Do you feel like you're on your "own" essentially?

Panupat
01-08-2013, 05:32 AM
While studying AAU I usually enroll online only history classes and some other text-heavy classes. For anything related to art, I prefer actual class with workshops and professors giving actual feedback and demonstration. With an exception of Intro to Animation... in that class we use flash instead of frame-by-frame scanning actual drawing papers.

The way online class worked (5 years ago) is that each week you're given a lecture, both text and video, and there will be a discussion module. Commenting on other student's post is a requirement. My intro to animation professor gave us pretty good feedback. He actually open up our flash animation and draw fix and add comments on a frame-by-frame basis. It was pretty fun.

narenn
01-08-2013, 05:49 AM
I'm considering AAU's Online Program... Any feedback? How it's structured? Do you feel like you're on your "own" essentially?

Wherever you go, you are on your "own". Yes, some schools may have more resources at your disposable, but it essentially ends there. It's whatever you make it.

What I don't recommend is taking your entire degree online. It will leave you with no current / future connections, and you will be no where as prepared as a student who works on collaborative projects.

The sooner you make your way to on campus and start joining group projects, the better off you'll be.

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2013, 05:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.