PDA

View Full Version : Rings Animated Over Shelob

kilikili
12-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Short article on the spider in LOTR:ROTK

What they said:

"Jim Rygiel, visual effects supervisor on the upcoming third Lord of the Rings film, The Return of the King, told SCI FI Wire that his team used computer animation to create one of the film's most fearsome creatures. Shelob the giant spider is "all digital," Rygiel said in an interview. "There was one shot that was turned over to us where they had the 1950s big rubber spider foot sort of crushing down," he added. "And we completely covered it up with our digital guy, because you just saw all the little bends and rivets in it. We used it as a guide for the motion, but we completely covered it up with our digital spider."

More >>> (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-film.html?2003-12/09/10.30.film)

-Kilikili

inx
12-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Nice of a talentless NewLine figurehead like Rygiel to refer to Richard Taylor's Weta Workshop-made physical Shelob prop leg so flatteringly.

Who are you gonna blow for your next gig, Jimmy?

roger
12-10-2003, 04:46 AM
I have seen many visual effects supervisors downplay the work of a physical/creature makeup effects........ :shrug:
I assume he did not mean it that way.

playmesumch00ns
12-10-2003, 08:13 AM
I think cos physical creature effects can often suffer from "Godzilla syndrome" - where a man in a rubber suit looks like... well a man in a rubber suit.

Chris Thomas
12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
There is an on-going transition phase going on at the momment that goes like this.

Studio wants character, but is afraid CG will look, well CG....

Hires practical shop to make animatronic instead

Animatronic looks great but moves like cack

Studio thinks again and goes for a CG replacement.

CG studio gets pressured due to shortened dev time for their CG version.

Paractical shop is hacked of as their work is shelved.

Hopefully soon studios will just give up on animatronics and save a lot of money and frustration for the artists involved.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.