PDA

View Full Version : ? about burning dvds and regions

oxyg3n
12-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Hello All,

I recently bought a dvd burner so that I can edit my home videos and finally get them off my hd.

I was wondering if at the time I burn them to disc are they going to be encoded for a region automatically?

Is there a way to make them so they can play in all regions?

I have been fortunate to travel my last 3 summers and I have made a lot of friends in Eastern Europe, specifically Poland, The Czech Rep, and The Slovak Rep.

I want to be able to send my friends in those areas copies of the video and be positive that it will play there.

lesterc
12-10-2003, 12:43 AM
well the thing with the regions..i do belive it does put a region setting automaticly...althought you can change your region setings under the drive options in the administrative tools at the control panel under your dvd drive there should a be a region settings... as for a all region i do belive theres a all region patch avaiable floating around i persoanlly never tried them since i havn't had the chance nor need to... althought depending on the software u use to burn your dvd movies it can also vary... what i usually do... i make my dvd with Adobe Encore from there i export it as a dvd folder and put in some extra junk in the disc for dvd data and form there i take it into Stomp Record Now! and burn my dvd... i have no idea if it will work in other regions or not since i havn't sent it nor traveled to other regions for a while now
hope this helps out a bit

LittleFenris
12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Well, I know with DVD Studio Pro, you can select (very easily) what regions you want the DVDs to work in...be it all, US only, etc...they even have the special purpose regions like airplanes and things like that. The only thing you might wanna check on is what video format the regions you want to send to are (NTSC, PAL, SECAM, etc...).

oxyg3n
12-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Hello Again,

The only dvd software I have at the moment is Sonic MyDvd. It came with my burner. There is an option when I start it to use Ntsc or Pal but I havent seen any options for regions.

Since since my camera is ntsc, if I choose to make my dvd pal, is that going to be a problem? I guess what I am asking is... Does the software convert it to Pal?

I am new to all of this dvd stuff and want to make sure that my videos will work when Io send them to my friends in Europe.

dmeyer
12-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by oxyg3n

I guess what I am asking is... Does the software convert it to Pal?

Highly doubtful. You'd probably get an error message....and even if it did, you're probably asking for trouble with audio sync and so forth (as far as letting a oem supplied burning software do a NTSC>PAL conversion).

LittleFenris
12-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by oxyg3n
Since since my camera is ntsc, if I choose to make my dvd pal, is that going to be a problem? I guess what I am asking is... Does the software convert it to Pal?

You would need to convert the video to PAL format using Premiere or Final Cut Pro or something like that. Cause the frame rates and frame sizes are totally different between PAL and NTSC. You could always try making the DVD PAL and see how it looks on your computer...maybe even send one to one of your european friends and see what they say.

oxyg3n
12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Hello again.

I didnt know that I could convert the video to pal in premiere, can you tell me how to do that?

LittleFenris
12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
You need to find out what PAL format is (like pixel size, ratio, etc..) then just export the quicktime from premiere with those settings and it should work. You would just have to test it and see how the video looks after conversion, since it changes all the properties (including framerate). i believe PAL is 25 fps. as for the size and ratio, im not sure. ill see if i can find out tomorrow morning at work. :thumbsup:

oxyg3n
12-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks alot for you assistance, it is really appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.