PDA

View Full Version : WIP 4 legged cycle test

grury
12-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

working on this quadrupede cycle and would like to hear some comments/sugestions, Im using Protons giraffe from CGNetwork free models..
Using maya and its also my first atempt on rigging a 4 legged character, pretty basic stuff.
I know a giraffe wouldnt run like that, i took it as a sort of a horse gallop.. cos the legs were just as short as a horse legs..

Test 01 (http://www.bunchdesign.com/cgtalk/4leg01.mov)

Cheers

Grury

maelefic
12-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Nice start dude,

One thing I did pick up on, though, is the front-left leg: It lifts to its bent position and then 'stomps' to its extreme push position.

As a quadroped (or biped) it should be striking the ground in front of itself and pushing forward. This is one of the general principles of x-pedal motion.

Also, (and this is minor) trying to put a bit more of a flick on the end of the tail. it looks as though someone has starched it ;)

Otherwise, not shabby :)

grury
12-10-2003, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the input maelefic,
did a bit of work fixing the legs but still gotta figure out the best way to animate the tail, at the time i'm using a spline IK as a softbody, although some of the lag looks ok, half way trough the end of the tail seems to be floating behind.
Also need to do some sec. motion on the ears and hair on the neck.

Update (http://www.bunchdesign.com/cgtalk/4leg01.mov)

Cheers

maelefic
12-10-2003, 04:18 AM
As reference, get a piece of string or rope, and do the 'sine wave' trick (wobbling the rope to get a wave through it). Don't copy it exactly, as the tail is somewhat muscled and would be a bit stiffer.

This' the same with the sec. motion with the neck and head, but I'll get back to you on that once you post the update :)

did a bit of work fixing the legs but still gotta figure out the best way to animate the tail, at the time i'm using a spline IK as a softbody, although some of the lag looks ok, half way trough the end of the tail seems to be floating behind.
Also need to do some sec. motion on the ears and hair on the neck.

senateboy
12-10-2003, 07:22 AM
heyhey, lookn good,

its lookn generally good, it seems the whole movement feels a little rubbery. perhaps you could try lagging the the head bounce by 2 or 3 frames or just ad 2 frames inbetween its up and down postion. if you have serperate joints for the neck and head, you can offset those too and give you a chance to break the joints a little. keep'r up.

grury
12-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your help guys, done another lil update, mostly some overlaping and sum animation on the ears and hair, one thing that am not quite sure is if it goes to fast across, the all animation is a cycle and I moved the parent dummy across, but now i have the feeling that it goes a bit too fast..

new Update (http://www.bunchdesign.com/cgtalk/4leg01.mov)

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.