PDA

View Full Version : Now you can touch 3D

kilikili
12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
What they said:

"Have you wanted to run your hand over the contours of your baby's face while it's still in the womb?

What about reaching in and touching the hot iron of a ship's cannon in Master and Commander or feeling the hairy foot of a hobbit in the latest instalment in the Lord of the Rings saga?

All these tactile sensations might soon be possible thanks to technology being developed at Deakin University in Geelong.

Known as haptics, the technology is the next step in virtual reality and adds the sense of touch to that of hearing and sight.

Researchers at the university have already developed a system which links three-dimensional ultrasound images to a small robotic arm that can be used to feel the contours of a baby's face."

More >>> (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/09/1070732211020.html)

-Kilikili

SheepFactory
12-09-2003, 03:34 PM
I see a %9000 increase in poser sales in the future :p

t-toe
12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
hmmm, I'm a little befuddled as to how it actually works... maybe they'll tell us in the next article.

pthomas72
12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
wasnt their a 3D MODELING tool that was kinda like this a few years back. played with it at siggraph..loked cool, pain in the ass to use

pgp_protector
12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
That sound cool, use that to model it, and 3DArtToPart.com to print it.

mbroeska
12-09-2003, 08:44 PM
soon we'll all be going to the 'feelies' a la brave new world.

Omnicrola
12-10-2003, 05:54 AM
And so begins the decline of modern civilization, as men totally loose all need to have contact with the real version of the opposite sex. :hmm: :shrug:

DePingus
12-10-2003, 03:35 PM
From the sounds of it all you can feel is just the contours of an object, not really the texture. That sucks. They need to have some sort of neural interface. Am I dreaming? (http://www.nicolelislab.net/NLNet/Load/Papers/Metal.pdf)

ndat
12-11-2003, 05:07 AM
wooot crack out the soma were going to the feelies lol :p

this actually sounds pretty cool, minus the things that make my face go :surprised. errmm I dont think it could possibly replace contact with the oppisite sex, theres more to a relationship then the physical aspects. Allthough it would be fully possible, it just would take alot more than "feelies". Theres actually a new episode of the twilight zone about the exact type as this, its pretty cool.

Valkyrien
12-12-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Omnicrola
And so begins the decline of modern civilization, as men totally loose all need to have contact with the real version of the opposite sex. :hmm: :shrug:

nah, it could never be the same...;)

Omnicrola
12-12-2003, 08:51 PM
hehe.

Modern AI + "feelie" tech + voice synth + 200,000 polygon mesh + 1.0Thz machine = virtual women at your beck and call 24/7, and she never says no. Just wait 5-10 years. ;) We men ARE that shallow, and we know it. :p

*goes to rearrange his stock portfolio*:beer:

Twilight episode sounds like a good one though, always interesting to see their take on things, I'll have to go find it....

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.