PDA

View Full Version : Black Isle Studios Shuts Down Development

RobertoOrtiz
12-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Quote:
"Zonk writes "RPGDot has a story up right now about the closing down of development at Black Isle Studios. The information comes from an unnamed Interplay source, who says 'Any time you see the [Black Isle] logo on a future product, know that no one who was associated with BIS actually worked on it', as well as a post by BIS employee Damien Foletto on the Interplay message boards, who adds: 'The non-announced [PC] title that the division was working on, Fallout 3 [aka Van Buren], has been 'shelved', to quote management.' BIS, you will be missed." Black Isle are particularly known for work on the Fallout series, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment. "

>>link<< (http://games.slashdot.org/games/03/12/09/0721224.shtml?tid=127&tid=186&tid=206&tid=209)

-R

WhiteRabbitObj
12-09-2003, 03:09 PM
And Baldur's Gate moreso than any of those except Fallout perhaps. This is freakin TRAGIC! I hope it's not true, though apparently a handful of their big buys left over the past few months to form Obsidian or something similar. Farewell to my favorite developer of all time. I wonder how this can happen when they're on a super hot streak... and I wonder what is going to happen to that martial arts themed RPG they were working on too. Hmm. :cry:

Spankspeople
12-09-2003, 03:28 PM
No Fallout 3... and even if it is picked up again, there's no way it'll be the same...

'Tis a sad day indeed...

Damm
12-09-2003, 03:29 PM
yeah i just got the news :cry:
I can't beleive this is happening.

Pinoy McGee
12-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Guess I'm gonna have to retire my cool Black Isle t-shirt (black, size L) for posterity....and perhaps ebay ;)

Array
12-09-2003, 07:20 PM
yeah....that company put out some of my favorite games of all time.....:cry:

berniebernie
12-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Fallout one - the waterchip...

I will miss this perticular ambience. I guess we'll keep them to show to our kids later on in life...

Morganism
12-09-2003, 07:55 PM
That's sad. The Baldur's gate games were some of my favorite.
A moment of silence.......

eirenicon
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
And Baldur's Gate moreso than any of those except Fallout perhaps.

Bioware is responsible for the Baldur's Gate games. And with the success of KOTOR, they're probably not going away anytime soon.

Black Isle Studios was merely the publisher of BG and BG2.

Athan
12-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Wow. This his horrible news. I actually thought they were picking up speed with the Fallout series. They were involved in some of the best American classic games you can find.

:cry:

Suxors this news truely does.

mv
12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by mlkdesign
Fallout one - the waterchip...

I will miss this perticular ambience. I guess we'll keep them to show to our kids later on in life...

Fallout 1 ruled all...

that's bad news!

WhiteRabbitObj
12-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by timothyD
Bioware is responsible for the Baldur's Gate games. And with the success of KOTOR, they're probably not going away anytime soon.

Ahh, most excellent. Well, it's still sad but not quite as sad as I originally thought.

leigh
12-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Very sad news indeed.

seanic
12-10-2003, 12:48 AM
the company might be gone, but the people aren't, so im sure we can see the same type of games just coming from a different company.

si999
12-10-2003, 05:11 AM
sad news...

TheGreenGiant
12-11-2003, 09:15 AM
this is what happens when you farm out your no.1 franchise and dumb them down for consoles. OR maybe not.

I will miss them. Fallout was stellar

Athan
12-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Planescape: Torment also had one of best stories in video games.

Truely a game that deserves far more credit from gamers.

Layer01
12-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by seanic
the company might be gone, but the people aren't, so im sure we can see the same type of games just coming from a different company.

i hope your right...*snif*

man i loved fallout 1 and 2 they we're some of my all time favorite games...man i was so happy to hear about fallout 3.....but now awwww now i'm gonna cry. :cry:

digital_rhino
12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by timothyD

Thank God...I love the Baldurs gate series.

Array
12-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by digital_rhino
Thank God...I love the Baldurs gate series.

Baldur's Gate 2 was the last game in the series. Unfortunately, Bioware will no longer be using the Infinity Engine, nor will they release it to the public. They have since moved on to 3d games such as Neverwinter Nights (meh, mediocore) and Knights of the Old Republic (my favorite game since Baldur's Gate 2).

digital_rhino
12-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Yeah I never did care much for Neverwinter...never tried Knights of the Old Republic. It's a shame theve gotten away from BG.

WhiteRabbitObj
12-12-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Array
Baldur's Gate 2 was the last game in the series. Unfortunately, Bioware will no longer be using the Infinity Engine, nor will they release it to the public. They have since moved on to 3d games such as Neverwinter Nights (meh, mediocore) and Knights of the Old Republic (my favorite game since Baldur's Gate 2).

They said that BG2 would be the last Baldur's Gate game but recently I read or heard something about a new one in planning stages or something. I would weep with joy if it turns out to be true. BG2 is my favorite game of all time. I too didn't enjoy NWN much, I never played more than 5 minutes past the tutorial stage... it just didnt engage me and I didn't like the controls. KOTOR is a must have for every person who isn't... um, doesnt', um, suck. Yep, if you don't suck, get KOTOR.

Layer01
12-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
Yep, if you don't suck, get KOTOR.

darn...i guess um, i should get KOTOR then :p

also does anyone know if there is a small (no matter how infinitely small it is) chance of fallout 3 being picked up by someone else?? (preferably the guys who left black isle)
awww now i have to cry again:cry:

Ordibble-Plop
12-12-2003, 10:43 PM
The Neverwinter Nights single player campaigns were rubbish, but NWN was never really intended to be a single player game. It was more meant for people to write their own stories and play DMed campaigns.

It is also possible to add a lot of graphical custom content to it. If you liked Planescapr: Torment, take a look at The City of Doors Initiative (http://www.city-of-doors.com/) (CODI). They are transcribing the Planescape world (and are also sympathetic to the atmosphere and humour of it) using the NWN engine.

(I am not associated with CODI, but my brother provides content for them.)

Array
12-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Ordibble P. Lop
The Neverwinter Nights single player campaigns were rubbish, but NWN was never really intended to be a single player game. It was more meant for people to write their own stories and play DMed campaigns.

It is also possible to add a lot of graphical custom content to it. If you liked Planescapr: Torment, take a look at The City of Doors Initiative (http://www.city-of-doors.com/) (CODI). They are transcribing the Planescape world (and are also sympathetic to the atmosphere and humour of it) using the NWN engine.

(I am not associated with CODI, but my brother provides content for them.)

The KoToR storyline, on the other hand, rivals all of Lucas' movies. Theres a plot twist towards the end that completely floored me and changed my standards regarding video game/cinematic story telling

FatAssasin
12-13-2003, 12:07 AM
Troika Games (http://www.troikagames.com) is made up of many people who worked on Fallout. They left Black Isle to form their own company. Their first game was Arcanum, which is a pretty good RPG in it's own right. So maybe there's still hope for Fallout 3.

But it's always sad when a company closes it's doors, especially such a well respected one like Black Isle.

Keiyentai
12-16-2003, 07:14 AM
....son of a....isent Black Isle working on Fable for Xbox?!?!

TheGreenGiant
12-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Keiyentai
....son of a....isent Black Isle working on Fable for Xbox?!?!

That's Peter moulenyx (sp) studio from the UK.

FatAssasin
12-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
That's Peter moulenyx (sp) studio from the UK.

http://www.bigbluebox.com/

They're a satellite developer of Lionhead Studios, which is Peter's company.

Keiyentai
12-16-2003, 06:31 PM
:thumbsup: good as long as Fable is ok. Stil sucks though...I wanted Fallout 3....:cry:

TheGreenGiant
12-17-2003, 01:58 AM
I wanted Fallout 3....:cry:

not if you've seen screenshots. I have and they went 3d with this sequel and it looks terrible. A lot of the grittiness went out the window and it looked like an early 2000 3d title. But damn, Fallout!!

TheGreenGiant
12-17-2003, 01:58 AM
I wanted Fallout 3....:cry:

not if you've seen screenshots. I have and they went 3d with this sequel and it looks terrible. A lot of the grittiness went out the window and it looked like an early 2000 3d title. But damn, Fallout!!

Keiyentai
12-17-2003, 02:50 AM
DO you have al ink to those screenshots?

TheGreenGiant
12-17-2003, 01:21 PM
http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3mm.png

http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3-ext1.jpg

http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3-vault1.jpg

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3354&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That's a link to check out where the images came from.

TheGreenGiant
12-17-2003, 02:54 PM
thought you guys might want to read this about the fallout of fallout.

excerpt

"Interplay agreed and the team continued work on Baldur's Gate 3. The title was cancelled after management failed to retain the license for the D&D system, so Black Isle decided to focus development exclusively on Fallout 3. The design was finished, the engine was written, and the work on the maps had begun when Interplay asked for a playable demo of the game.

By Black Isle's account, the demo as delivered was 95% done, including all game functionality but only one finished demo level. (Work on the rest of the levels was approximately halfway complete; all that remained to be done was to populate and script the maps.) The next day Interplay began laying off people at Digital Mayhem. Since the Fallout demo was so polished, employees at Black Isle felt (relatively) secure.

Two weeks later, all but two members of the Fallout team were laid off and the project was cancelled. Interplay apparently believed the game could not be finished by 2004. Interestingly, the two members of the team not laid off were those who were previously working for the head of Digital Mayhem on a separate console title prior to moving to Black Isle Studios. "

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/446/446424p1.html

Keiyentai
12-18-2003, 04:05 AM
:eek: WHy!!?!?! NO!!! SOme one must continue it!! lol.

Tychoides
12-19-2003, 05:46 PM
uhmm you might want to follow the story a bit further here...

from an ign article (http://pc.ign.com/articles/446/446776p1.html?fromint=1)

Interplay was quick to characterize the closure and cancellation reports as nothing more than "false rumors" possibly generated by former Interplay employees. (The source of our second story was, indeed, a former Interplay employee.) Since Interplay is a publicly-traded company (IPLY) it does seem likely that they would have issued an official release regarding the closure. As our contact at Interplay put it: "If Interplay management had closed its most valuable development asset or chosen to abandon one of its most prized intellectual assets, the Company would have made an announcement."

Spankspeople
12-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Actually, no... that goes with what has been said already, really. The original story stated that if anything else came out under the Black Isle name, it wasn't really from them, and this confirms it.

The news was released by a disgruntled ex employee, as Interplay says... they didn't say that they hadn't layed off the entire team.

Nobody has said, yet, that Black Isle has been completely destroyed, just that the team itself is gone. And Interplays comments on the subject don't seem to deny this fact.

Tychoides
12-19-2003, 06:46 PM
"actually no" what ? i m encouraging people to read interplay's reaction. i dont see what s you re saying "no" to, here.

Spankspeople
12-19-2003, 06:55 PM
You know, re-reading what I typed, I'm not entirely sure why I typed no either, as I wasn't really disagreeing with anything...

Odd...

Tychoides
12-19-2003, 07:02 PM
LOL

anyway i just love interplay's comment on the fallout license, it's just precious :) :

"but management will do what it can to maximize the intellectual property it owns and the fan base it has, within the financial parameters it must operate."

edit : argh spelling

Spankspeople
12-19-2003, 07:06 PM
I just hope that enough of the game was complete when this happened that if they decide that people want it enough, it'll at least be fairly similar to what was intended in the first place. I wouldn't trust anyone but the original Fallout team to make a Fallout game... *sigh*

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.