PDA

View Full Version : "Convert" polys to objects

PetterSundnes
12-09-2003, 02:04 PM
I would like to do an automatic "distribute polys to layers" or something similar, so they end up as individual objects. 1 poly = 1 object. Sounds like a stupid thing to do perhaps, but I need it done like this due to a realtime engine called ShockWave that does not sort geometry pr poly, but on a pr object level :)

It can be done by hand I know, buuut... hoping I dont have to

Steve Warner
12-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by petterms
It can be done by hand I know, buuut... hoping I dont have to
You don't have to. :) Here's how to do it:

1. Download and install Fi's CrackIt Pack (http://f23.aaacafe.ne.jp/~fisjunk/plugin/plugin.php) into Modeler. If you're so inclined, make a button for the three tools: CrackIt, Distribute, and Merge High Layers.

2. Load your object into Modeler. If it occupies multiple layers, cut them all and paste them into Layer one.

3. If you want every single poly to be on a separate layer, switch to Points mode, select all the points in your object, and unweld. If you just want individual objects (i.e. groups of polys that share points) don't unweld.

4. Run the Distribute plugin that came with Fi's CrackIt Pack.

5. Watch in amazement as every poly or group of connected polys are placed onto separate layers. :)

Hope this helps!

Steve

PetterSundnes
12-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks a million!

Steve Warner
12-09-2003, 05:46 PM
You're welcome. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.