PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor SATA HDD and WinXP install problems.

doms
12-09-2003, 11:16 AM
I've got problems with a Maxtor SATA drive and OS installation.

I've used Maxblast 3 to partition+format but when i reboot to install XP nothing happens when i press F6 to install floppy SATA drivers.

The start screen says Sil3112a present (this is a replacement SATA drive) and the bios should all be set ok as the last SATA drive worked intermittantly. It tries to boot from the XP setup disc but then i get a message of NTLDR.DLL not detected.

You would think Maxtor or Abit would offer some info on this as it seems i'm one of many with SATA problems.

System- 2800XP Athlon, 120Gb SATA Maxtor HDD (warentee replacement), 1Gb RAM, ATI 9500 Pro, Abit NF7-S, trying to install Win XP pro.

Also booting with no USB k/board and mouse.

singularity2006
12-09-2003, 06:24 PM
You said your previous drive worked intermitently? Could it be that you have a bad controller card? Try getting a new one and see what happens. Or in the least, get a newer driver for the controller card.

doms
12-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Well i've sorted it. I was using a backup of my WinXP disk which wasn't bootable (dooh!! not copied as a disk image)

I assumed it was but as they say "assumption is the mother of all ****ups". Thanx for the help anywayz...

Also... i've been to a couple of animation festivals lately and found them to be showing lots of ILM/PDI eye-candy self-advertizing and trying to get the 0.5% of top talent. That just doesn't relate to me at all, anyway the eventual question is- do you know of any good resources/info on working freelance or starting off on smaller projects (i've had 10 years of running a company but only 4 years of retraining in CG which i don't feel is enough for doing TV ad scale of projects). Does this win any prizes for 3a.m rambling questions...?

Ice Czar
12-11-2003, 01:04 AM
you might find this helpful in the future

how to make advanced bootdisks

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.