PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma on choosing high end laptop

HaiiroOzen
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Long story short i want a high end laptop. Not for gaming or anything of the sort. I want it for illustration, video editing and 3d renderings. I have been with windows machines all my life so for versatility purposes id like to try out mac os just to be proficient in both. So i customized a laptop with the specs that i need but it comes up to like 3k. Thats sorta unsettling for a laptop if you know what i mean. So should i still go for it?

Not really into the idea of getting a regular machine and loading mac os on it. To me it defeats the purpose. Don't really need biased opinions due the whole mac vs windows thing thank you.

tswalk
12-19-2012, 02:23 AM
not sure you'll be able to find a "deal" with mac equipment unless it is 2nd hand or from a friend... so you're price will be fairly fixed at that rate.

just keep in mind, you truly do get what you pay for.. (normally, unless it's a shady deal or vendor)... just do your homework and research your needs thoroughly and you should probably land on your feet.

with that said, and to forewarn.. i have an wintel bias... but in my opinion, if you want to just "try out" the Mac OS... do yourself a favor and either fire one up in a virtual machine or build a cheap 'hackintosh'. there plenty of detailed how-to's on the net. this is what i would do versus dumping that much money into "familarizing" myself with an OS.

cause honestly, its' just an OS.. the software packages you'll be using will mostly be identical in function and features.

cgbeige
12-20-2012, 12:40 AM
well, if you're dealing with video, that's still pretty Mac dominated and Thunderbolt is really fast for a mobile video RAID workstation. Anyway, $3k is plenty to get an MBP:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

I run Maya, Nuke, Premiere Pro, and a ton of other apps on an MBP with no problems. Just make sure to get 16GB of RAM.

Stormchain
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
ive got the same issue here. me and photoshops got that love hate relationship going on and i was figuring bigger place for it to run wild would solve it all. but im still wondering if i really need to commit 2-3k USD for it. i want laptop no matter what too, but desktops would be cheaper? from what i hear 16gb ram is a must, however how would an 8 do? any experiences?

mustique
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
MBP retina 15" is a great laptop IMO especially with a 16GB RAM upgrade. If you're not into 3dsmax or Xsi, there's no reason not to buy one. It's pricey but it also has a great resale value. There's also the chance to install and learn Smoke 2013 on it, which is really a one-of-a-kind app.

cgbeige
01-04-2013, 02:05 PM
from what i hear 16gb ram is a must, however how would an 8 do? any experiences?

8GB would be fine for a design machine but 16GB is the minimum for a 3D machine. There aren't many 3d-capable laptops that don't let you stock 16GB of RAM and it's cheap, so there's no reason not to go with 16GB.

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2013, 02:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.